Fantasy mini-ADV twin.....

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I wonder sometimes if Moto Guzzi's V7II Scrambler package is semi proficient. The bike is pretty amazingly light at 395lbs curb, and with a 6 gallon tank, no less. Assuming those are real numbers. I like the narrowness of the Ducati, but let's face it, the MG is 15lbs lighter, has more fuel capacity, shaft drive, still has an 18" front. A Stelvio version could be pretty cool, or even better an "HP2" type bike. Wouldn't be bad to find a used one and start to modify the heck out of it.
    larryboy likes this.
  2. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Here's the 321cc Yamaha R3

[​IMG]

And the Tenere 250 in desperate need of a better engine -

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  3. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    A factory created Suzuki "ThinStrom" would be very welcome and could weigh as little as 400lbs. [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  4. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  5. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do believe both of those tyres are on backwards?
  6. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    The X-Country was a cool bike. A new version with a 650cc P2 would be sweet.
    [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    The Dorsoduro is close to an ideal mni-ADV bike except...oh. wait, the wheels and tires! Also, at 410lbs dry, I guess it's not that light either. Looks the part though.

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  8. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that a Tiger 530 would just be a skinnier 800. By cutting out one cylinder, the engine would get, what, about 4" narrower, and all you'd have to do with the frame and a few other parts would be to narrow them by a similar amount. Voila. The only thing I'd like to see is that the Tiger Trail 530 XC is it is reduced in height as well a bit, so that it could come in with a 31-32" seat height.

Though, it may be possible to split this, with a 19" front, 31" seat height Tiger Trail or modern scrambeler and a gonzo tall suspension 530 XC that is designed to much more seriously kick it in the dirt, far beyond what the current XC can do. Lighter than the Trail, with less farkle capacity, more minimalistic fairing and a single light, not so much set up for luggage.

IOW, make one a true trail/light ADV bike, the other a true Enduro.
    larryboy likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm watching Rally Raids development of wheels & suspension for the Honda CB500X.
    Honda was close and i'm betting RR will finish the deal, knowing what else they put out.
  10. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of people are watching this. RR will probably not be able to keep up for a while (?).

I have taken the plunge, and even if RR's wheels don't make it to production, the 500X is a brilliant bike.

[​IMG]
  11. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    I was watching this when Jen broke the news about the RR conversion. Even went and sat on one at the dealer (no test rides in our little town). The only thing I had concern was the power. It has just a few more horses than my exc which weighs 250. how does the power translate to the real world? Does it put out enough to maximize grin potential? Their sweet, reliable little bikes for sure. I don't need 100+ but 55 (my620)-70 seems about minimum for me.
  12. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, someone explain to me why no one is making custom (mild) cam shafts and a rear sub-frame support for an Aprilia RXV4.5 and 5.5? I believe that a larger tank is available. Done.
  13. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I think the compression ratio would need to be dropped. It's 12.5:1. That's pretty darned high. I don't get how Aprilia doesn't see the market for a milder trail bike let alone a compact street bike or ADV tourer. It's a no brainer, unless they feel they can't keep the price down enought to make it sell.
    larryboy likes this.
  14. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Have you ever rode a Ninja 500? Potent little bike. I feel my new to me CBX will perform much the same. The motor is extremely smooth and does not feel buzzy or busy.
  15. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    It would be great to see Moto Guzzi design an HP2 kind of chassis for their V7 engine and produce it in both a serious Scrambler design and a Stelvio version. I suspect the V7 chassis isn't up for a ton of abuse but not sure. Too bad the V7 II has gained about 20lbs. A single sided shaft swing arm would be a nice upgrade too.

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    A little porky and off purpose, but this isn't half bad...

[​IMG]
  17. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    A new Kawaki Super Sherpa in 350cc single and 500cc twin versions would be entirely awesome.

[​IMG]
  18. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    The fact that KTM is engineering two new small to midsized twins is probably primary reason I wouldn't buy a Ducati Urban Explorer, even to modify. I can't imagine they won't have a smaller Adventure or dual sport between KTM and Husky. And KTM engines are already famously light.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2014/november/ktm-plan-new-v-twins/
  19. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    3 years is a lot of "in the meantime". UE seams like a good interim bike.
  20. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    True, but I prefer to buy bikes to keep, especially if buying new. So I will likely pick up a small dual sport and/or a sport tourer, probably used since new options are limited.
    larryboy likes this.