Fantasy mini-ADV twin.....

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 500 will take you anywhere you want to go . . . Just have to shift a bit more.
    Very nice smooth bike:
    [​IMG]
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have thought the Dorsoduro would be a good platform to make a decent 70/30 ADV bike.

I rode the 750 Dorso and that engine is REALLY sweet plus the ergos are good. I'd like more trail as it's kinda twitchy and the suspension would need some massaging for that role, but it's a pretty good starting point.
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    A 550 Dorsoduro using a detuned RXV engine would be awesome.
    larryboy likes this.
  4. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the posted Guzzi images:

Back in the day, before anyone ever heard of an "adventure bike," the whole time I was riding a Honda CX500 (and later GL 650) short-stroke pushrod transverse V twin, I wondered why the configuration couldn't serve as a platform for a reasonably off-road capable road/trail bike.

The transverse V-twin is not as "crammed" as a longitudinal V and not as absurdly wide as a boxer. I never felt like I was abusing the CX riding it from middle GA to the Blue Ridge, even on the interstate.

Regarding DR650:
    Give it a 6th gear, half-again as much HP, decent suspension, and reasonable fuel range and you're there. I've added the larger tank to mine, but I'm not about to spend the amount of money required for merely incremental HP improvements, and there's nothing to be done about the stupid 5-speed transmission. So I'm not about to sink big bucks into the DR. (I'll likely just end up replacing it with a 690 next year.)

But what I really don't get is...

What is it with the front-end weight of that pig (and similar bikes)? Take any four stroke KTM in the woods and you can lift the front wheel with body English and a little throttle blip with reasonable ease. I consider that capability prerequisite even for a mild trail bike. Trying to do that on the DR gives me a hernia.

Id love to find some good reading on bike geometry; what actually makes a dirt bike a dirt bike, but such sources seem hard to find. Seems to me a start would be listing front/rear weight bias as standard practice in off-road bike specs. Or are the pegs just too far forward?

JET
  5. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I've noticed on the modded Moto Guzzis that there's a ton of emtpy space under the seat. Seems to me that the fuel tank could be moved down and a "frunk" installed. This is why I like the idea of a V7 HP type product from MG in dual sport and Stelvio formats. I mean, if BMW can deal with that much engine exposure, surely the V is much less vulnerable.

Of course, I did help an ADV rider who's GS bike had a nice hole in it from crashing into a rock or something.
  6. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADV'er "MND" has a CX500 that he rides the **** out of. He takes it some pretty impressive places. Last time I saw it, it looked like he done something to increase the rear travel, but I'm not sure what he did. But other than tires and a little bit of suspension, I think it is otherwise stock.Here's an older pic, but before suspension work and aluminum side cases:
    [​IMG]

Here's a cool one from over in "Olds Cool":
    [​IMG]
  8. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Isn't the CX the one one that was notorious for smoking the stator?
    I have seen another one resently that a guy was giving a cafe job to, just wondering if that's the same bike I'm thinking of.
  9. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  10. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Yes and my 650 turbo went tits up around 30,000 miles. It's an expensive part and hard to get to so long term it can become an issue.

I'm sure the engineers at Honda could do a CX revision with 700-750cc, reliable DC output, shaft drive and light(ish) weight. It could be an excellent platform for the MidVenture style bike.
  11. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    A mini Stelvio!
    larryboy likes this.
  12. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    With the success of the FZ series and the new R3, a possible new bike would be an FZ 03. And if that happens, it would be a fairly short jump to a make dual sport using some motocross suspension and wheels.
    larryboy likes this.
  13. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Some of the older beasts were pretty close ? [​IMG]
  14. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Oh nice! I always liked the guzzi's but never have owned one. Pure rolling sex with that one there. That a US import model?
  15. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I want this bike, but with a lightweight twin for $10K (no it doesn't have to be actually able to win Dakar, just have good lights, a little fairing, a place to mount a GPS or tablet, etc) -

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  16. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Not to mention that the V7 has insane amounts of low end torque, perfect for the application. A V7 Stelvio would have space for the gas tank below, a "frunk" if they like and would have a solid engine for the purpose. Or a V7 Quota would be great, with more ADV/Dakar styling.
    larryboy likes this.
  17. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    larryboy likes this.
  18. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Why don't we each chip in $10 to give to somebody like a Christini to develop a prototype with an emissions legal engine ?

I used that name because it was the first one that came to mind with an affordable street legal unusual design .ie 2wd .

No affiliation just an example.

Regards,Ed Flanagan

Ps maybe Jmo and Co are near there?
  19. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Hey, my grandmother's family is from Reading. Used to visit all the time.

But yeah, we'd probably have to come up with like $10,000 each though :cry
    larryboy likes this.
  20. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure this thread belongs in Moto Bellissima, I mean, part of the requirements of this fantasy bike is reliability :evil