Fantasy mini-ADV twin.....

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    And affordability!
    larryboy likes this.
  2. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Probably much safer in your grandmothers time.

Just have to continue on path that has chosen me . Dirt suspended sv650. If I live/thrive that long .:deal
    Regards,Ed
  3. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I would really love to see this bike with the F700GS or F800GS engine in it, but it it were a smaller, lighter 600 or 650, even better. It's a shame it's so hard to find these used. I think BMW nailed it except that a different engine may have really made it more relevant. Either a 450 single at a lower price, or a small twin like the Scrambler. At the very least, maybe BMW will bring it back as it seems like a very good single cylinder scrambler.

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  4. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Of course, there's this -

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    It would be hard not to consider one of those.
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like the BMW X-Country, I would think you would like the Husky Strada. Sure, they somehow managed to add 50 pounds, but other than the weight I think they executed much of the Terra/Strada better than the X bikes (fuel capacity, improved engine and suspension, and price). However, now that I have spent a lot of money on my X bike to resolve those issues I wouldn't trade it for a Terra or Strada. But it's a shame the Terra/Strada was a one year wonder like the X bikes.
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    I would have absolutely bought a Terra or Strada on closeout, but didn't have the cash in the moment. Hard to lose on that deal.

Now imagine it with a new 600cc KTM V-twin!

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Suprised the thread is still going so well.

Lots of great pics!

Thought I would drop by.

Do you reckon the Honda 300 can go from street to ADV?
    Edit , it is thumper.
    Sorry gang, I assumed it was beast material. Thought Honda would try to compete with Kawi.

The crf250l did a good job coming from the cbr250r.

I guess the CB500X is the best mod MC we could have.
  9. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    True, but the Kawasaki and Yamaha 300s could be cool mini ADV bikes for 3rd world markets. Actually, if there were a standard, naked version of the R3, I'd probably look at that as a possible starter bike.

As an aside, seems to me that a 250L stroked out to 300 or even 350cc would make for a much more interesting bike. As it is, the KLX 250s are much lighter and better off road by all accounts, so the CRF needs more power to support its weight.
    larryboy likes this.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    P. Twin.
    383lbs.
    4.5 gallons
    6 gears

In dual sport mode we could keep the mass below 385lbs, if we built her in the image of the KLR.
    Would need to start with a new frame.
    5.8 gallon tank.
    We would have to have a respectible suspension on her for great off road riding.

Smoother than the KLR on the tarmac, much better off road.

That is key,
    Base the MC on how it stacks up against the KLR NEW EDITION.
    price,
    Highway
    Dirt.

If you can keep all three 50% more, you are good.

$9,500msrp
    Hard to describe the other two.
    But off road, better than a DRZ400. Suspension would need to do that. 35" seat height at least.
    Would be hard to do with all of that fuel up there.

Good slow and easy wins the tour vic.
    Would be an ok commuter also. Espically if weekend warrior stuff is involed.
  11. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Supposedly there's a naked version of that bike coming out which would no doubt be 20lbs or more lighter due to lack of fairing and might have a more upright seating.
    larryboy likes this.
  12. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Under 400 lbs. with a full tank, 10" front travel 8" rear, 57" wheelbase, 34" seat height, 400 mile fuel range.
    Another $20,000.00 on exotic materials and machine work would see less than 375lb as a target.
    Drop another 12-15 lbs. if engine protection, luggage capability, centre stand, acceptable lighting and a quiet exhaust are not required.

Performance specs exceed the design intention and braking function.
    Reliability is similar to a brick with 250,000 miles completed at the time of the photo.

Visits to motorcycle dealers are uninspiring.

RXV 550 was tempting but the starter motor was the weak spot not the 12.5:1 compression or the wet liners.
    TE610 came close but not quite close enough.
    3 test rides on the X-Challenge 650 convinced me I would miss the torque of the twin.

The older and fatter I get the better a trials / trail crossover with 120 mile fuel range that fits into the back of a SUV looks.
  13. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    What that bike needs is a bigger engine ....and a bigger tank :evil
    larryboy likes this.
  14. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    1070 kit coming next :rofl
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    This what we need.
    Note the displacement. 800cc and still less than 425lbs.:deal

No way BMW would make this.
    Not enough money to be made.

We may get a better rotopax engine next year.
  16. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    That is quite a bike. Tweak it a bit for modern times and BMW could be farther ahead than they already are.
  17. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    If Kawasaki weren't priced stupidly here ($6600), this Z250 wouldn't be a horrible bike to start with as a µADV bike, at least, if you could saw bits from a KLX 250 -

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  18. Demar39

Demar39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb

This is the set-up I'm looking for.
  19. Demar39

Demar39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at getting one of these late summer. 6 speed gearbox, more hp and torque than a KLR 650. The MG makes it's torque at 2800rpm. I have a 2012 Stelvio NTX but it's my "road" bike. The Stelvio is too tall and heavy for me to ride off road. I just want to ride two-track and fire roads but need something smooth and capable on the 180 miles of slab/road I have to do to get to the off road trails.
  20. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread idea about my kind of bike. Thanks John A.
    Smoother than a big single, lighter than the currently fashionable tanks, better performance than a CRF250L (ran one in SWUSA) so enough power and comfort to get the job done. A real-world all-road travel bike.

Nice job on that F700, Max. I ran the lower-tuned 650 in Morocco one time and would have taken one on but used prices here are usually higher than a new CB-X.

The MT-07 (FZ-07) was rightly mentioned on page 1: compact P2 but with a 270° ‘Ducati-feel’ motor:
    Couple of weeks back took a CB500X for a spin (with a view to Rally Raiding it) - but fatally I rode an MT right after.
    CB-X was uncannily smooth, comfy but dare I say bland.
    The MT motor (helped by an Akra pipe pulsing against your heel) won hands down.
    But can’t see adventurising an MT as an easy, inexpensive and effective job.
    Hopefully Yam will soon do it for us without too much plastic.

Either that or something in the ballpark will come up through the floorboards from China while the Japs and Europeans continue on their flashy, high-tech crusade.
    I see buyers who are prepared to take chance with Chinese bikes as those who aren’t bedazzled by spaceship tech and stratospheric hp.

Or we buy the closest thing that’s going – be it an XT500 30-40 years ago, up to a current CB-X – and finish the job ourselves with help from RR. Just like we always did.

Tried that a few years back, but the 80s tech - not least low stator output and a heavy dinosaur motor - put me off finishing the job. The link outlines a lot of the principles listed in this thread.

[​IMG]

Still, the 'GS500R' was an experiment with potential. Now the CB-X RR comes closest and so might an XT700Z. The current 660Z is heading for the chop anyway, Euro emissions-wise.
    But after flogging an XCo (10k report) I’ve just picked up a TDM900 with a view to garden-shed Tenerisation.
    Bigger than I want or need but cheap, modern enough in a good way + that lovely 270° motor.

Keep the fantasies coming - or just BYO.