far enough east to come back from the west or if you don't try it will never happen

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by oMeGAS, Jan 9, 2018.

1. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    Crossing over from Grand Junction to Denver is something you have to do on two wheels even if it is quite crowded, at least when i was there. The canyon is amazing both geologically and engineering wise. The I70 and Colorado twist together through the canyon like they never wanna part although at Datsero they do part and heading Denver the Eagle shows you the way. Most of the crossing was through rain but the descent was towards the sun that was shining bright in the Indian summer down in Denver.
    I remember enjoying riding through Denver and stopping at a Trader Joe's and meeting a group of young Greenpeace militants after ramping up my provisions. Now i can enjoy even more Tarantella knowing they actually formed and existed in this part of planet Americana. Although i did not linger for long in the city i still remember the soft early September sunlight with it's slightly red tinge.

I had no idea where i was going to spend the night and i kept riding until i would find the place. It was to be Travis' Shady Grove campground in Seibert, where I70 crosses 59.
    And because Travis is an amazing host he let me sleep in one of the wooden huts for the price of a tent space, just because it was empty. If you leave Denver and head east on I70 and plan to stop for the night before hitting Kansas for fear of being lifted up in your dreams and transported to Oz i warmly recommend it. It's quiet and cozy with everything you need for a short passing by or even longer.

Bye Travis, i hope you're still doing well and not missing San Francisco too much...
    [​IMG]
  2. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    The next day i crossed Kansas and made it to the fourth buddy right in the middle of Kansas City which was in the Missouri half. About 100 miles before reaching my destination the night caught me and my front low beam bulb went off. I could only ride with the high beam and i realized as it was getting darker that it's annoying for the cars coming from the other side. Luckily i did have a spare bulb and even more luckily replacing it on a KLR is not difficult. There's no need for tools and you can even do it in the evening twilight on the side of the road, even in Kansas.

Ken was a friendly ex rider that had a very intelligent canine and two house mates. Although he sold his last motorbike he still had the place and tools to do an oil change and i took up the opportunity. KLRs eat up some oil at high rpm but at some point i started suspecting that the amount i was missing every few hundred miles or so was more than just that, also because i was not pushing the rpm that much. I realized eventually that it developed a permanent chain lubing system because of the seal behind the front sprocket. As long as it was not going at an unsustainable rate i let it be, hoping it will not develop into a permanent shift pedal lubing system. I started at some point to ride under the scattered clouds of Irma and the wind became chilly. I passed by a motorcycle parts store to buy a new filter and some oil and a hood to fend some of the wind when it was getting too chilly.

The next day i made it to Saint Louis. On the way i met a South(or maybe it was North) Carolina rider in a rest area with whom i had a chat about, well, riding and the romanian girls that come working in Carolina over the summer. It was yet another english accent met for the first time.

[​IMG]

I made it in the evening at probably the best restaurant that i've set my foot in on the American continent when the next buddy that decided to host me invited me to the dinner that he was enjoying with his lovely wife and a friend just when i arrived. I could experience the proper way of hosting guests in a restaurant. The waiters were very careful but just about enough not to be annoying. They really knew how to make your time pleasant as you were having your dinner. I remember how accurately and elegantly they were able to describe the different plates in the menu so that you'll make the best possible choice. The openness and hospitality i was welcomed with made me feel as if i was a long time friend.

Thanks Mike, the rain paints kept me dry for a couple of days and i still have them.
    [​IMG]
    Say hi to Jean and Annie(i hope i remembered well and did not misspell)

Next stop, the hilly Pennsylvania were the sixth and seventh buddies were going to show me even further how America is filled with friendliness and openness all over.
    GraniteStateGS likes this.
  3. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    I've left this lingering for veeery long. It was my subconscious pushing it as far as it will go to keep the fever high :) But no worries, the best thing about this kind of fever once you set it on is that it never goes away.

Next stop just at the beginning of the Pennsylvanian state was Waynesburg where i was hosted by Randy, an old time rider, with the exact same engine as i was riding. Randy and his wife were very hospitable and i spent a nice evening chatting about ourselves and the whole rest, until it got late and i went sleeping in the tent, among many hard working spiders and old agricultural engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Good thing i did not find one of these at the entry of my tent.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again Randy. Hampton beach was indeed very beautiful. I hope you are doing well, wherever you are.
    [​IMG]
    GraniteStateGS and chudzikb like this.
  4. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    Next stop was at Matt and his really nice place in the middle of Pennsylvania. Matt and his wife are two avid riders. Different kind of riders but very much riders. They left early riding and i said bye to the keeper:

[​IMG]

Thanks Matt, i really enjoyed the time and conversations.

I was planning to spend some more time inside New York but did not have the chance to find a buddy there in time and the fact that i did manage to find one in Connecticut made me push for Norwalk where i had the surrealistic pleasure to be hosted by the only buddy whom i've never met even to this day. We only spoke on the phone and exchanged some emails. This experience is truly unique as i was actually offered true Connecticut hospitality from perfect strangers that managed to keep their perfection. I was sorry that i did not have more time to meet my hosts but maybe it is just something that i am looking forward to. This was doubled by the fact that it was the place where my ride became a coast to coast. So to celebrate it i took an evening surrealistic walk through Norwalk to reach the ocean side at Shady Beach Park. And i met the easy rye'da:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    GraniteStateGS likes this.
  5. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    Leaving Connecticut behind i crossed Rhode Island, getting closer to Boston as i was remembering moments of Incandenza family's struggle to construct happiness in a world that has an infinite ability to jest over it by kicking bricks out from the bottom of its foundation.

Just a dead end street somewhere in downtown Boston and a open ended one
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I walked through the old Granary burial grounds on a soft and sunny autumn afternoon
    [​IMG]

With its flying skulls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This one for some reason was not granted wings. I wondered if this has some significance about the departed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In the evening i made it on the foggy shore of New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

I spent a relaxing day on the narrow shore of New Hampshire Atlantic. I decided to skip the motorized saddle and switched it for a bicycle that the 9th adv buddy was happy to lend and i made use of my legs again as i was welcoming the ocean breeze of beautiful New Hampshire to fill my lungs.

I had to take a swim in the cool water of the Atlantic somewhere along the shore and watched surfers play upon the waves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Visited Portsmouth and Kittery through the first sunny-foggy part of the day that eventually turned rainy
    [​IMG]

I also re-considered the lobster in the evening in one of the ocean side restaurants that Steve recommended, delicious stuff that they have there.

Thank you Steve for the meaningful experience. I hope to visit that side of the eastern coast again. It left a calling echo in my memory.
    GraniteStateGS and RedDogAlberta like this.
  6. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    Lucky to have crossed Vermont on an Indian Summer day, soft as the summer in California. Ended up somewhere in the lower left corner of Vermont, over the hills and far away from anything i've come to know. Junior let me spend the night in a beautiful mansion that was completely empty and gave me the feeling that childhood fairy tale stories used to give me. The place was amazingly serene and as clean as a pure mountain spring. I was afraid not to spoil it with my presence. Junior and his friend that was living just half a mile up or down the road, i can't remember which way was which, were fixing Toyota Land Cruisers all day long. Very old Toyota Land Cruisers. The kind they don't make anymore because it's not about making a good and nice looking car nowadays.

This is an awfully reliable and nice looking car. Old and still going cause someone still finds it as good and as nice as 40 years ago. It was and hopefully still is as old as i am. Don't mind the turkey.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they had a courtyard full of 'em to work on.
    [​IMG]

These two guys are some of the finest men i've met in America. They can fix a Toyota Land Cruiser in no time. And when they are utterly bored they get inventive like making a motorized couch. I had the unique chance to ride a motorized couch. That is, a couch with a motor attached to it that you can actually ride. I still miss that unique day.

Ride like the wind Jr., wherever you are.
    [​IMG]
    twowings and MTBRALPH like this.
  7. oMeGAS

oMeGAS derspy

Oddometer:
    The last of the 11 buddies that have hosted me was to be in the state of New York somewhere not that far from lake Erie in a nicely secluded pond side meadow, shared with a free horse
    [​IMG]

Big enough for the both of us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaun and his lovely wife were as open and friendly as a host can be for a one evening meeting with a total stranger. I did meet a natural caution that eventually turned in the right direction. I remember this being the last talk that gave me even more insight into the American way of being and thinking. The free kind. Shaun had to leave early and i said bye to his wife before starting towards the end of the loop, back to Troy Michigan, with a short swim in lake Erie along the way.
    [​IMG]

A non-selfie shadow selfie taken in the morn of the last day of magic
    [​IMG]
    The grass is the same green as in Mongolia and the world over.

I spent a few more days around Detroit trying to take care of a few details before leaving the motorbike with Val so he can sell it.
    I had the luck of attending a Romanian Food Festival with Val's family that just happened during those days

[​IMG]

And a couple mode days in Toronto with the big happy family of my cousin.
    I left the American continent through the same small CNC factory in Toronto
    [​IMG]
    horsti and NoelJ like this.