Fargo to Kansas City

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by tlwood99, Oct 16, 2019.

1. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm riding my bike (R1200GS) from Fargo to Kansas City this weekend. i have 3 days to make it happen, and all I see is going south down US29.

Are there any other options, or things I should see on the way south? Maybe 81 to the west?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. gn83tm

gn83tm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Through Iowa, jump a little east of 29 and ride back roads through the Loess Hills. Search "Loess Hills Scenic Byways" and you'll find some of the official routes, but taking any of the roads through the hills will be better than 29. Stay safe!
    ajayhawkfan, 32dgrz, tlwood99 and 2 others like this.
  3. tbirdstud86

tbirdstud86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something along these lines: https://goo.gl/maps/UwKxVSxBspgmKuSb7

Can't help outside of that patch.

ETA: I know that 77 & 75 on the Nebraska side are better than I-29 as well. Watch the speed traps around Winnebago.
    tlwood99 likes this.
  4. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    Very helpful! Thank you very much!
  5. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tlwood99 likes this.
  6. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tlwood99 likes this.
  7. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    Thanks 32. Great pics! I also will try and stay at Loess Hills Hideaway.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. You guys made what I thought was a boring ride into something I am really looking forward to. i think I will move pretty quickly down 29 and pick up tbird's route outside of Sioux Falls and explore the Loess Hills as much as time allows.
  8. tbirdstud86

tbirdstud86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do we get a ride report?
  9. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    You do. I will get something posted this weekend.
  10. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    So sorry this has been a long time coming.

I ride, fly, and repeat, meaning I fly in, get my bike out of storage, ride it somewhere interesting, put it back in storage, fly home. This time I picked the bike up in Minneapolis, with the intent of seeing Fargo, then heading south to relocate the bike closer to Dallas. I was expecting a pretty boring ride for most of it, but thanks to you guys it was a great trip.

I-94 to Fargo was fairly boring as expected, cold and windy. Most of the trip was in the mid-40's to low 50's. Fortunately I brought along some wind blockers that really did the trick or it would have been a very uncomfortable ride.

Fargo is a nice town. I stopped at the visitor center that has the wood chipper from the movie Fargo (complete with fake leg). Have to love a town that has a sense of humor. Downtown was nice. I stopped for a picture of my bike in front of the theater.

[​IMG]

The locals loved my bike.

[​IMG]

After that it was more highway, more wind...at one point I lost my handwritten directions that got sucked out of my tank bag.

[​IMG]

I made it as far as Sioux Falls, for the real riding to start the next day.

I started out on Sunday at sunrise. It was overcast and a little wet, but the riding was really great. I jumped on the Loess Hills Scenic Byways almost immediately following tbirdstud86's route and quickly discovered the connecting gravel and dirt road loops. Those loops really made the ride.

[​IMG]

I didn't do a very good trying to capture it on "film". With the relatively limited daylight this time of year and the weather, I pretty much road sunrise to sunset. There is far more to ride here than can be done in a day or two.

Sioux City offered the Sargent Floyd River Museum and Welcome Center. Its definitely worth a visit (and its free!).

[​IMG]

I picked up some pamphlets on Loess Hills and other stuff, and kept riding. And one can't ride through Council Bluffs without seeing where Lincoln stood contemplating the transcontinental railroad.

[​IMG]

I ended the day riding in Preparation Canyon State Park. There are some spectacular dirt roads cut into the hills there. Unfortunately it was late and getting dark, and I chose riding over photos, so you will just have to go see it for yourself. As it was, I felt a little short changed. Definitely on the list of places to come back to and spend more time.

After spending the night in Missouri Valley, I headed on to KC. On the way I saw a sign for Loess Hills Natural Wildlife Refuge. Well that sounded impossible to resist even though I was running out of time to catch my plane. Sorry again, no time, no pictures. Definitely worth the visit.

After that, it was a race to KC to put the bike in storage, Ubering to the airport, and flying home.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the good advice. It was a great ride! I definitely need to come back and explore the area more in the summer. Lot of good riding to be had.
  11. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you come back to Fargo.