Farken Icehole Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I was slipping into a mild depression as this past week worked its way to a close. I've been riding every weekend since I can't remember without pause and hadn't lined up anything for today.

Jim Thorpe Dave to the rescue. I got a call yesterday afternoon, "Dude, I'm back from the Pajama's, lets go riding!" We decided to do some scouting for the Smokie Hole Rally scheduled for April 2006.

It was a cold ride up to Jim Thorpe this morning, and it wasn't getting any warmer heading north into the mountains. At one point, I was so cold I had to take a detour off the main roads onto some dirt roads to get the blood pumping and the speeds down.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what the temperature was this morning, but this may be some indication. We would see many, many more of these today.
    [​IMG]
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Made it to Dave's place right on time. He let me stand in front of his pellet stove for a while to recharge, thanks buddypal!!!

Then we headed off! Downtown Jim Thorpe, PA.
    [​IMG]

Same place, different perspective.
    [​IMG]
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    ON TO THE TRAIL!!!

Fallen leaves made some of the trails a little more challenging, like this downhill section.
    [​IMG]

No leaves on this downhill though. Thank god the rocks were there to slow you down.
    [​IMG]
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately for JT Dave, them there rocks were doing a job on slowing him down while attempting to get up this wee little hill.
    [​IMG]

He was stuck so I went up to help.
    [​IMG]

I thought I had talked him into turning around, so I headed back down towards my bike. Then I saw him heading toward the top again.
    [​IMG]

And getting stuck again. I start my way back up to the rescue again. Moral of the story, don't bring a street bike tire to an off road ride.
    [​IMG]

Time to strip off some of the multiple layers of clothing as I am no longer cold, to say the least. Here's my 950 trying to talk me out of going up this trail. What fun is it if you don't even try?? The trick is to not stop, and it works!
    [​IMG]
  5. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    NS and gang,

Nice big bike riding on some tough looking routes.
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Alas, we made it to the Jim Thorpe Smokin Hole. There was plenty of heat coming out of the earth at this area.
    [​IMG]

The underground coal fire created this giant crack in the earth.
    [​IMG]

No vegetation can survive at this vent. Everything is dead and charred.
    [​IMG]
  7. Camas

Camas Rooster Bastid

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time even if cold as hell. A 950 on that terrain? You must be stronger than me...
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Reality check! It wasn't long after leaving the warmth of the smokin hole that we had to pull out the ICE BREAKERS.
    [​IMG]

More ice shots.
    [​IMG]

HEY THAT's ME!! I can break the ice with the best of them!! I think I need to break some ice over some Southern Comfort tonight!
    [​IMG]

Last of the ice breaking shots. Have no doubt, we continued through many more ice covered puddles, but the novelty had worn off and we didn't stop to capture any more moments.
    [​IMG]
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We spent a lot of the afternoon riding around these giant deep strip mine holes.
    [​IMG]

Just like a Roman highway.
    [​IMG]

I'm sure it's ok Dave, you go first.
    [​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We had done quite a bit of dirt bike riding up here over the years, on trails that aren't exactly suitable for BIG BIKES. We had to stop and survey some of the trails. We decided against continuing here.
    [​IMG]

Again, stopping to check can save you a lot of headaches. This was a go!
    [​IMG]

We got to the top of this hill, neither of us were man enough to go down, today.
    [​IMG]

This would be the down.
    [​IMG]
  11. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    I can't choose between being more jealous of your great ride today, or the fact that you get out every weekend for as long as you can remember!

nice shots of the ice breakers :thumb :clap
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    The day was coming to a close but we found some time to do some exploring. Unfortunately, this was a dead end.
    [​IMG]

We went another way that turned in to a neat off camber single track. We proceeded for a bit and then bailed, not wanting to get into something we couldn't get out of.
    [​IMG]

It was a real chore getting the bikes turned around on this trail. As you probably guessed, we got out OK.

We headed over to JT Dave's buddy's place for a NASCAR party.
    [​IMG]

I had a limited amount of daylight left to get back home, so I redressed and got on my way!
  13. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guy's are sick....... :vardy , too!

Nice shots, though.
  14. gts

gts Bark Buster

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I've heard that there is excellent offroading in PA. Those bowling ball hillclimbs can be real depleters even on dirtbikes... you guys did pretty well. You also managed to capture the steepness of the hill (#4) on film :deal Nice pics
  15. LavaBull

LavaBull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spectacular photography and nice crisp images (some of the best I've seen)...awesome trails...love that KTM 950...definitely an all around, do it all bike...your pics prove it... I'm gonna bite the bullet and jumb on the band wagon...yyyeeeaaaahhhh...:D

[​IMG]
  16. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    Now everyone knows what to look forward to for the Jim Thorpe Smokin Hole Rally 06 Off road section.......just add another 40 miles too that. Great day TZ. Hope we can get out soon.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Whats the scoop on this rally? Looks like its right up my alley! :D
  18. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Yo, Bro and TZ,,, Looks like you fella's had a good ride,,, I would of liked to join but me and the posse were out mountain biking, pounding the pedals. NIce pics,,, NICE... Next time.
  19. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report:thumb

My uncle lives in the Jim Thorpe area...every time I visit him I find myself wishing I had the GS along.

This picture is ripe for a caption contest :D
    [​IMG]
    I like how the woman of the household managed to keep all the testosterone in the garage...
    not much room left there for bikes, though :lol3
  20. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: