farkling metal chips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rarepartbuilder, May 23, 2014.

1. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks
    I'm new to ADV but been around the net abit... some here may know me and my projects from other places or times ..its all been a great experience for me. Besides sharing some of the bike items i build ,i'm hoping to get and gather project idea's from this very active adv group as i go. Since winter is over ..the thread might be a bit slow right now but i plan on posting up some of the bike items i've build over the last couple of off seasons...then when it gets cold ..well you know how it goes..:hide

You will hear me reference "olive" a bit on the builds..

[​IMG]

She is very talented but not just any shop dog..there is one thing she does the best... names my favorite beverage...:1drink

you can learn more about Olive HERE

ok.. bike stuff
    this was the first add on "bike parts" i'd built

the bike was missing something besides a rider when i bought it..handguards!

[​IMG]

I had a junk of scrap 8" aluminum pipe to cannibalize... looked like it had its better days..:wink: so i hacked off a piece

[​IMG]

to turn the aluminum pipe i turned out an end plug

[​IMG]

mounted..and got started.. thing was a bit warped and twisted huh

[​IMG]

turned...

[​IMG]

i had some old bar clamps to recycle..and use as an attachment anchor point for the guards..get those..

[​IMG]

made a template of my vision of a hand guard besides impact protection.. i wanted my hand to be protected from the cold wind on late season rides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apply template to stock..mirror image for left side just flip that puppy over

[​IMG]

rough saw the pipe...weapon of choice... the skill saw with any old carbide blade and a wax stick for lube. The pipe is well clamped to keep it from moving or launching itself..

safety first

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

band saw out shape.. any course blade will work ... the 2 x 4 keeps the cut edges perpendicular as possible the adjacent contour

[​IMG]

dont forget these things... especially the protection from the aluminum dust:puke1

[​IMG]

belt sand to layout

[​IMG]

test fit the shape

[​IMG]

stay tuned :lurk
    shinyribs likes this.
  2. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Nice work so far. Looks like those will be some stout hand guards!
  3. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Hi Slomo the pipe started out as 3/8" thick but time i cleaned up the egg shape periph ended up being more like 5/16"

The guard profile ok i hunted around for a way to connect the guard profile to the bars...decided on a hunk of old 1" thick pvc plastic that had been a electric motor base.

reference lines to turn the shape to..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rough hair cut

[​IMG]

center drill scribed marks

[​IMG]

the offset mass gets turned a bit slow to keep the vibes down and the pc in place as its only squeezed between the chuck and live center..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

decided on using 10-24 bolts.. im not sure what everyone else does but when drilling plastic to be threaded i use a tap drill .010" smaller to get a fuller thread depth{ avoid stripping easier}

[​IMG]

clamped up to back drill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started to drill but forgot something

[​IMG]

half ass depth guage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

counter sink to flush up the fasteners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

test fit..looked ok so i got the angle between the bar end and the PVC end caps..

[​IMG]

next up.. the angled transition pieces to bar ends.
  4. miguelitro

miguelitro I like the ads, in fact, give me more ads.

Oddometer:
    I'm all for making things but you need to understand why hand guards are designed the way they are.
    You need to be able to get your hands and wrists out of them in a crash to avoid broken hands/wrists/arms. That is why the Cycras and many others dip on the end.

Mike
  5. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike

I just looked at the cyras site :

http://www.cycraracing.com/

a dip in the end piece i just posted... if put a dip profile to save my hands and wrists it would be worth it... i think there is enough real estate in that 1" plastic to cut a mega dip into it and still be firmly attached to the guard.I've crashed a couple times already with the grips and high sided on a goat path..so far i've had time and space to let go of the grips.. no head on collisions to test otherwise.
  6. Ironwood

Ironwood Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer:
    Have you put these on a scale? Just wondering what you have come up here.
  7. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    not expecting alot @ .1 lb cu inch but will weigh 1 this week. i gotta find a digital scale that will display the truth for some picture taking ..curious myself.
  8. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    plastic still hanging at this point grab the last measurement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trimmed up the plastic

[​IMG]

took a few minutes to table rout a chamfer on the guards... al cuts like butter.

[​IMG]

sawed off a transition piece

[​IMG]

turned the section to fit inside the throttle tube/clearance then drilled out to attach bars and plastic together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last assembly hole drilled at the earlier protractor angle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plastic flipped over and same hole counterbored so fastener head will seat flat on the angled surface

[​IMG]

next post farking thing will be all buttoned up and complete
    shinyribs likes this.
  9. Daryl_Stamp

Daryl_Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice; I know it takes some time / effort to stop & take pics during a build. Thanks for the effort. What is that brand of quick change tool post? Haven't seen one quite like that (maybe it's the camera angle).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Hi Daryl
    yeah you're right on the picture taking seems like the same amount of time to get it posted on a site as machining!
    The tool post on the small lathe to turn the transition pcs is just a standard c14-05 quick change shown here on page 11 Its generic to the lathe which is a 1440 clausing Metosa it replaced a small worn out colchester lathe.

The large lathe that i turned the 8" pipe on is a colchester mascot with colchester tool post
  11. Hybridchemistry

Hybridchemistry ...

Oddometer:
    You planning on going into battle with that thing? :huh
    Talk about over kill bark busters!

Of course I still want to see the results :deal
  12. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The KLR guys usually make them out of bleach bottles.:lol3
    nk14zp likes this.
  13. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    LOL.. i know..but they kept falling off !!
  14. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
  15. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    HI folks

I don't need to see more pictures of the flying arm w's to realize full wrap guards need some movement "mobility" to help protect a rider from the crap can happen scenarios. So here is the plan.I'm going to finish posting up the guards assembly this evening .. then throw out a couple of ideas to put "rider safe" guard features into the design. Who knows between what i have in mind and the gazillion rider miles of experience reading this chiming in .. I'm sure something safer will prevail...in fact I'm looking forward to it because others may benefit.:1drink

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->
  16. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    With all the details pretty much completed it was time to join everything together.
    I messed around and measured the inside diameter of the pro taper bars... i was hoping that i could just ram a tap into the bar ends... and use a bolt to do the joinery... discovered this

Protaper handle bars are almost the perfect tap drill size ID for a 1/2" -13 helicoil.For anyone wanting to add bar end weights as vibration dampening they may want to consider Helicoil use...

[​IMG]

taped the bars with heli-coil tap....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ram that puppy in there..
    [​IMG]

small layout to spruce up the guard appearance...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drill dimples

[​IMG]

done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh yeah...got the left hand guard made as well...

[​IMG]

I'm going to weigh one of these units this coming week... will post up weight shortly
    Then onto a some idea's for arm/wrist protection from the these full wrap guards.. reference the comments and pictures from fellow inmates .
  17. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those would be handy for taking out "walkers" in the event of a zombie apocalypse. :1drink
  18. FixerDave

FixerDave KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer:
    Oh man... I can see adding those divots to create micro-turbulence at speed, thus reducing drag... but they're really going to mess up your stability when getting over 250Kmh. :deal

Besides all that, what the hell is that key-thing attached to the back of the bike in this photo... do you wind up a spring to make this bike go? :evil

But, yeah, I admire your machining skills and dedication but they do seem rather robust for the application. I ran the original plastic brush guards on my bike for something like 16 years before I managed to tear them both off (at 2 different points) in a particularly nasty race (still came in 3rd in the juniors :D). Just threw some bark-busters on. I figured I'd screw some plastic sheet for rain guards... but never bothered.

I do admire the divot effort... the receding depth is a nice touch... I'd never have the patience for that. They'd never be even the way yours came out.
  19. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reckon you could add some rocket launches and spikes on the wheels and you'd be unstoppable .....all jokes aside good job.
  20. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave
    You're not the first to ask... they've survived some hard crashes since installation
    HERE is the picture to the wind up key question...

THIS is the reasoning..or phobia maybe..