Fastrak Violation

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellow Pig, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just received a bill from Fastrak for using BEN-13 (NE of San Francisco) on my Husky 501.

The problem is I have not been to SF in years, have never been over that bridge in my life and certainly not on my barely street legal Husky. I live down in LA.

Reading the reviews it looks like Fastrak is a huge scam. They make it impossible to dispute the fee, run up the penalty fines and even place a DMV hold on your vehicle registration.

The question for those that know is: Is there any way to clear my bike or am I better off just paying the fee and moving on w/ my life?

Thanks Dan
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just call. Their systems see numbers and cross reference databases throughout the US for similar plates.

Got one from Colorado on my Super Cub plate going on some big freeway there.

Called, they saw discrepancy in plates/vehicles and dropped it.
    villageidiot and Andrew like this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have also had good luck calling in and getting a real and reasonable person, so I’d start there before you worry too much.
    Foiler, villageidiot and Yellow Pig like this.
  4. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got several notices (different dates) from some toll road in Orange County and was always able to 'splain that I lived 800 miles away and hadn't been there since December 2017. And had never been on that road. Always had the fee removed.
    villageidiot and Yellow Pig like this.
  5. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    My plated bike was in the back of my truck, got a notice in the mail myself. Request the pics that are taken, you should be golden.
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, got it taken care of. They looked up the pic and it was a Harley and they got the last digit wrong.

I was worried because I read tons of nightmare stories of dealing w/ Fastrak and how they just kept racking up penalties and DMV holds and how Fastrak did nothing to help.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  7. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe if you have an online account you can dispute the charge online. I have had this happen years ago, and never did have a hold placed on my registration or any fee paid. Sorry for old and non specific information that only has value on bringing the topic to the top.
  8. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    I once got a parking ticket in SF on my Yamaha XL650. Yeah, haven't been to SF since the 70's. And no plans to visit any time soon.
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a leased car that I returned in February. Come April, I began receiving all kinds of Fastrak violations from the Bay area to my address for several months. Probably 10 letters during this timeframe. You guessed it, never went to the Bay area.
    In CA, the plate stays with the car and the car was resold up in the Bay area.

Long story short, I called everybody and the general consensus was that Fastrak just sends these notices out to anybody they can get an address for. Eventually the notices stopped coming and I heard nothing further about it.
  10. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    Here's a weird one, off topic, but still in the bay area. My Dad ( farmer in Visalia) got a parking ticket years ago from SF for a cotton trailer he owned, the city said hadn't fed the parking meter. After multiple phone calls, one of which he went round and round with a clerk on the phone until she finally understood what a cotton trailer was. After she realized it was 40' long, 8' wide and 12' high, he finally got the ticket canceled. City folk, sheesh!

DL9176D.jpeg

Attached Files:

Chillis likes this.