Fastway footpegs on the GS1200

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kirkmoon, Oct 3, 2004.

1. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with the removeable setup. Good thing at first as the front row of spikes grabbed really well at my boots when I went to shift or moved for the brake pedal. I removed the leading row of spikes to get used to it. That worked very well for me then and now I have them all installed. Works like a charm and with my 240lb bod, standing on the pegs is not problem at all.

-A
  2. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    It was because of someone resurrecting your post that I went ahead and bought a set from Adventurers Workshop. They just arrived today

[​IMG]

Took literally 10 minutes to install on my R12GS (in fact, it took longer to insert the spikes).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have yet to test ride them but they at least look good.

Thanks Andrew :1drink
  3. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    Just got mine from Two Brothers Racing for $89, took three days to get them (with ground shipping)...
  4. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at these, but most of my riding is street (bike is daily transport, plus trips, plus some light offroad), and they are longer than stock, that is, they stick out more, so...don't they scrape easier?

This is the one thing holding me back on these...
  5. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    It will depend upon your weight and suspension setup. If you have the right spring rates installed for your weight it shouldn't be an issue. If you are heavy (like over 220# maybe) and using the stock springs, it might be.

I weigh around 195# and have the stock spring on the rear. I haven't had a problem.

I just did a track day with these babies installed in the lowboy position. I am not a hard core racer but I don't have chicken strips on any of my tires (the Michelin Men on the outside edges of my Anakees are typically killed off in short order). I DID scrape the pegs when trying to negotiate turns at maximum lean angle. Didn't limit my fun at all. I just cranked up the rear preload all the way and didn't really have to think about it too much after that. Even if they scrape every now and then, the pegs fold up, so they won't lever your bike off the tires like the fixed sportbike ones can.

On the street I occasionally touch down, but only when really pushing it. Again, it doesn't limit me at all, even when riding aggressively.

If you ride two up and/or are too heavy for the stock springs and pushing it you would probably notice them scraping quite a bit.

If you run into problems, crank up the rear preload or get stiffer springs or put the pegs into the standard (non-lowboy) position. If you STILL have problems, get a supermoto bike. :D
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    KM, thanks for the great pics...

I have mine on in the standard position.. now, I'm thinking I'd like to try them in the low boy position.

How do you get that pressed in collar out of there? :ear

Thanks!
  7. Cubist

Cubist Simple Fool & His Big Pig

Oddometer:
    I bought these hoping that the "lowboy" position would make the GS more comfortable for me(I'm 6ft tall, with long legs). Second to the shield, the stock pegs were the single most uncomfortable thing on the bike for me, as I felt they were too high and too narrow. Having bought my Fastways through "The Adventurers Workshop," both the F3 and the F4 were the same to me, and I had to resort to e-mail for a better definition than what's in the online marketing. The F4's are intended for onroad and touring use, and that's what I went with.

The installation for me took a bit longer because I had to bend the spring for the left peg in order for it to seat completely into the frame and thus allow the main peg to pass through the coil. Also, it's best to have something truly solid to pound on, as the little inserts that adapt the Fastway footpegs to the bike won't just slide into place, you have to, and are directed, to beat them with a hammer and a special little tool(included) in order to seat them into(and remove them from) the individual pegs.

From the first ride I could tell that I had made the right decision in getting the Fastways. I takes a minute to get used to shifting gears, as the new pegs put your foot closer to the lever, and thus, change the relationship of your foot to the gear shifter. For the better I should add. I shift much more smoothly now.

Comfortwise, I went from being uncomfortable after just thirty minutes on the bike and having no other place to shift my feet, to having two or three places to rest my feet. It's all good, at least for me.

Being much larger than the OEM pegs, walking the GS around is a bit more of a cautious experience, as they do force you to be a bit farther from the bike when moving it.

When you feel the way that the rubber souls of your boot/shoes "dig" into the Fastways, it can't help but lend itself to greater sense of security. My feet stay right where I put them, even in rain, which you probably won't believe, until you experience it firsthand as I did last weekend.
  8. HMarc

HMarc Hoseur

Oddometer:
    Beat on them? I just put mine in a bench vice and squeezed the inserts right into place with no effort at all. When I put another set on a friend's R12GS we started with the high position, but he decided he wanted them lower. The little included tool, coupled with a short bit of 1" diameter tubing, made it easy to push out the insert and replace them in the other orientation.

No beating necessary.
  9. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    :thumb

There is a little piece of cylindrical metal (about 3/4" long and maybe 1/4" diameter) that comes with the Fastway pegs that you use as a kind of punch to get the collar out. If you don't have one, Fastway can send you one but they might charge you for it. I don't know where mine is any more. Sorry.
  10. Cubist

Cubist Simple Fool & His Big Pig

Oddometer:
    I have a small vise, and in my case, using it to seat the collar into the footpeg was of no use. The collar for the right peg went into place fairly easily, while the left one required the special tool and a hammer. No matter though, I'm quite pleased with the final result.
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Is this correct? Do they stay in as well as on the stock pegs? The Fastways seem wider front to back, do you need two rubber parts for each peg?

Thanks in advance!
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I was wondering what the piece was for! Thanks!! I"m now going out to do it!
  13. Nd2Roam

Nd2Roam Charleston, WV

Oddometer:
    Why is there a little lip on the trailing edge of just the brake peg?
  14. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    bought mine directly from Fastway and received them within about five days on the east coast. In combo with the 35mm risers on the handlebars and the pegs in the low position they have greatly improved the ergos for my long upper body. yeahaw.
  15. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    :dunno Good eye. I don't have a clue.
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by pilot
    Keep the rubbers from your stock footpegs and use them in the Fastways. They fit just right.

Anyone know?
  17. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they fit but I don't know why you'd want or need to use 'em. On my recent 9000 mile ride, it was a toss up between the Fastways, Bill Mayer saddle and the electronic cruise control for best farkle. I brought the rubbers but never felt the need for them. The bare Fastways worked marvelously.
  18. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I'm concerned about the comfort for my soft pink little tootsies. You're saying the bare metal pegs are comfortable like the rubber is? :huh
  19. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazingly enough, they seem to be. I never woulda thunk it. There are a little more vibes reaching my feet but nothing objectionable. I was surprised.
  20. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    They are, indeed. Very little vibration comes through the pegs. They are broad and so your weight is widely distributed on the pegs which also makes them more comfortable. Plus you have 3/8" of rubbber on the bottom of your boot anyway, right?