Fastway footpegs on the GS1200

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kirkmoon, Oct 3, 2004.

1. CroMag

CroMag Gelande Sauté It

Oddometer:
    Been running the Fastways with spikes on the 1150 + TKCs and love them, but do notice the feet can fall asleep when directly on the spikes (no rubber inserts).

Going to put Fastways onto the 12GS and pop in the inserts in for the Lima Bean OH run. The inserts seem to friction fit pretty tight, so don't think any mods are required to keep them in. Although I've said that before.... :lol3
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    anyone care to post pics of the rubber insert in the Fastway pegs? :ear
  3. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Tenderfoot. :D
  4. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses, guys. :thumb I may have to try a setr of these. My main objective is to have lower footpegs without spending an arm and a leg.
  5. OldRider 125

OldRider 125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a set of Fastways on the GS12 today. The Fastways are 1' lower in the high position than the stock pegs. The brake pedal position seems a little better with the lower pegs. The only thing that will take a little time to get use to is the distance between the peg and the shifter. There is less room due to the peg being a lot wider.. Overall I like them.
  6. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    It seems I can't figure anything out.

Primarily based on the opinions here, I ordered the F4 kit from Andrew, got here quick. Inside I find:
    • two footpegs (man, they are heavy!)
    • two springs
    • the cylindrical punch thingy
    • a bag of a few screws and many washers
    • a small tube of loctite
    • one sheet of instructions
    I can't figure it out for the life of me:

1. You all talk about "collars". What collars?! I see no collars. I only see the items in the list above.

2. What are the screws, washers, and loctite for??????????

3. I first tried the left side. I couldn't remove the stock peg because I first need to slide the center bolt out, but the bolt won't come all the way out without removing the shifter first. To remove the shifter, I need a torx socket, and I don't own one of those. (At some point, like my next vacation, I'll be able to take the time to find this uncommon tool I guess.)

Because I couldn't do the left side, I didn't even look at the right side. I just put the pegs back in the box.

Any help on my three frustrating questions?! Thanks....

Peace.
  7. kbasa

kbasa Being, human. Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Visit Sears for a torx bit.
  8. Cubist

Cubist Simple Fool & His Big Pig

Oddometer:
    The collars might already be in place in the pegs, if not, you're missing them and you have some phone calls to make. The bolts and washers screw into the base of the peg, near where they mount and tip the pedal up so that your knees stay closer to the bike when riding. I put them all in when I did my F4 installation and haven't felt the need to remove them.
  9. charleshmosesii

Oddometer:
    Female torx (E torx) are not common, and Sears doesn't have it. Even the Sears website, which has more tools than the retail stores, doesn't have a single E8, they only have an entire set for over $100 that includes an E8, and of course the set is "web order only" available. I wouldn't want to buy a whole set for over $100 when I'll never use them beyond this single time.

As I understand it, there is one E8 (and one E10) bolt on the 12GS, and I think that I am going to borrow an E8 bit from the dealer to replace the E8 on the shifter with a standard 6x25mm hex bolt when it goes in for 6k service next week. So...I'll have to wait.

You guys all report changing these out "in 10 minutes". All of you just happen to have a friggin' E8 bit?! wow...
  10. HMarc

HMarc Hoseur

Oddometer:
    I believe you could get the E-8 Torx out of the shift lever with a big pair of vice-grips. I found a set of E-series Torx sockets at a NAPA auto parts store. But I replaced mine with a Allen hex bolt (documented here).

A trick you might consider when installing Fastway pegs is to grind off a bit of the peg-mounting pin as shown in the photo below. The pin is hard to remove on the left side due to interference with the shift lever. Grinding off a bit of it doesn't hurt, and allows the pin to be removed or reinserted without having to mess with the shift lever.

[​IMG]
  11. HMarc

HMarc Hoseur

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

Referring to the photo above: see where the peg mounting pin would slip through the footpeg mount? Effectively through the center of the spring? The footpeg in the photo has the collar in place, and the hole through it is sized so the pin fits snugly through it.

If you don't have the collar, the hole would be big enough to stick a finger through (maybe your little finger). Sorry, but I don't have a photo of just the collar.

The collar is designed to insert into the footpeg two ways. One way positions the footpegs quite a bit lower than the other way, maybe 10-20mm lower. Its a press-fit, so it won't just slip in by hand. I used a bench vice to squeeze the collar into place, and its quite easy doing it that way.
  12. OldRider 125

OldRider 125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 1/4" socket will fit the shifter perfect. As for everything else "Read the Instructions" it's simple.
  13. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks to this thread I ordered a set of F4s from the factory, about 98 bucks. Arrived in three days. Hardest part of install was finding the c-clip that retains the pin after I flung it off. Second hardest part was the stupid springs. I went low boy, and based on (low boy) illustrations alone, I got the wrong spring. After 20 minutes of fumbling I tried the other spring and volia, the docter likes.

I can confirm the 1/4 " works fine on the stupid E8.

Thanks

<<< Edit. The one bit of info that perhaps I can add, is that the directions indicate the use of three thick (.040) shims for BMW GS, which is what I went with. Their web site did not indicate BMW application support (as was noted previously).

<<< Second edit. With the advised number of shims the pegs were angled a bit forward. I went ahead and added three small shims to each side, which used all provided shims, and the pegs look better. I notice that in the originals pics the pegs seem at a 90 degree angle. Mine are still ligtly aggled forward. I could add more shims later, but plan to see how this works for now.
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Apparently, all Sears stores are not created equal. The one near me, which I do not consider to be a very large or good Sears, had sets of both torx bits and torx sockets for sale. I think I paid about $70.00 for the two sets combined. I ran out and bought them right after getting my bike and noticing most of the fasteners were torx. So yes, by the time I got my Fastways, I did just happen to have the right size bit... :D
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't need female E torx sockets to remove female torx fasteners. I managed to get them off with regular sockets..
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    You're right about that, but using the correct socket type is a little kinder to the fastener.
  17. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't adjust my shift lever trying to use regular sockets. You must have special powers. Suburban machinery makes a great set of lowered footpegs for the R12GS. I just installed them and they're real sweet. They are of similar shape to the stock pegs but larger- probably not good for those of you who are big off roaders and like to stand alot. The rubber from the stock pegs fits into them. Sorrry but I don't have any pics. They can be view on their website.
  18. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    I only stand to let the blood re-enter my crocth when it goes completely numb from sitting on that piece of shit seat. Bill Mayer will be here when I return from vacation. I like the fastways very much and have them set LOW in combo with the Verholin 40x40 risers. when the seats arrives it should be close to perfection.
  19. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I saw those at the MOA rally. They looked very nice indeed! I just couldn't justify the 50% higher price than the Fastway pegs, so Andrew got my business.
  20. charleshmosesii

Oddometer:
    HMarc, you rock. Your help was instrumental. And a millionth kudo on your site. I am building a tool kit based on it, I am installing the Touratech bars based on it, etc., etc..