Fastway footpegs on the GS1200

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kirkmoon, Oct 3, 2004.

1. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
  2. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    Since you revived this one, I have a follow-up after having installed these:

Sitting: similar stability to stock, but more comfort options. Low boy position offers slightly less knee bend in general. Further, this wider peg offers varied positions for your feet for longer trips -- a mix of combinations of toes or ball of foot or heel resting on the front or middle or back of peg all create different positions to try over time.

Standing: Wow! I would never go back to stock pegs after this!

Cost: I have mine in the low boy position, and I do scrape these pegs easier than stock. I don't mind though, I am not a racer. The day I venture out to a track school for noobs, I would at least put them in the higher position.
  3. Tugrik

Tugrik Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might as well add my ¥2.24 ...

I picked up my Fastway F4s from Adventurer's Workshop. They showed up Friday morning and I installed them Friday evening for a test run before Saturday's 560mi trip.

I wanted to put them in "lo-boy" position first. Like a dunce I installed the left peg in 'low' and the right peg in 'hi'. :doh Using a vice, the little peg-thing they include and a hammer I got it back out and flipped it over. I ended up using all the shims in the package to make the pegs level on the 1200.

Due to my size the bike already rides a bit too low (too much sag -- I'm waiting on a set of wilbers with mega-springs to fix this) and the test-run around the Hicks loop proved this. I was losin' boot rubber on nearly every turn! Back to the garage to whack at 'em with a hammer again and flip them over.

In high position, they're a dream. No clearance issues and comfortable as heck. I'm glad I went with the F4s instead of the F3's. I have a pedal bike (downhiller style) with screw-in allen-head pins like the F3's and they tear the the crap out of my boots, snagging unsafely now and then. The F4's more blunted spike-tips are a much better balance between traction and not-snagging. They're also kinder to the Icon boots I wear.

Sitting, I have easily three or four times the range before I get tired feet compared to the stock pegs. Standing is even better! I tend to ride sitting with my arches or heels on the pegs, toes up by the controls, but shift back to stand on the balls of the feet when standing on the pegs. The Fastways are fine for this.

Once back from the trip I gave them some abuse to see how they'd hold up. I'm a heavy guy, as other folks here know. I took the bike up into the dirt on this little back-road outside of Calero Resevoir near my house and spent a half-hour stomping up and down on them at full strength while big-pigging it through the dirt. No flex, no shear, no sign of wear. Considering I've snapped a stock pedal on my old Adventure doing this little test, this definitely means they're stronger.

Huge :thumb to the folks from this board for recommending the pegs!

Next up, I'll buy a spare set of peg-rubbers and try 'em out like that picture a few posts up from this one.
  4. Bounce

Bounce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed Fastways (F4) on my 12GS a couple of weeks ago for a tour of Southern New Mexico's mountain by-ways. They're GREAT! But what would you need the rubber inserts for? I'd think they'd slip in the dirt/mud and IMHO there's not enough road vibration on the pegs to make a difference.
  5. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I feel no need for rubbers. Someone in this thread (I think) mentioned resuing the OEM rubbers, and this seems like what they were getting at.
  6. Phloodpants

Phloodpants Freelance subversive

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Fastways on my 1150GS. WOW! :D

I have a 36" inseam, and now I feel like I actually FIT on the bike!

I couldn't recommend them more.

...and I also see no need for rubbers. They are grippy as hell. So grippy in fact, that it takes some getting used to.
  7. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    when riding around in the city and shifting a lot i find it easier having the two rubber inserts installed because the studs are too grippy. with the studs only i have to actually lift my boot up off the peg.

fwiw, i have the screw-in studs which are believe are more grippy than the pre-installed studs due to the threads.
  8. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put your original rubbers in either the front or rear of the Fastways if you need them, don't need to fill both holes. Barb
  9. kam

kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read in another thread that you shouldn't adjust or change the angle of the shift lever (w/respect to the rod/spline its attached to). Is this BS? Also, I've ordered the wunderlich shift lever and was wondering if there is a torque value for the shift lever attachment bolt, or just a dab of locktite and arm tight???

thanks
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which bike are you referring?
    On the 12GS, you can adjust the shift lever to your heart's delight...
  11. kam

kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you remove the shift lever right where it attaches on those splines, you can easily reposition the lever higher or lower.. depending on your boot size, you might want to raise it a bit higher.
  13. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but not by moving the lever on the splines. There is a dot on the shaft that must go where the gap is on the lever for proper placement. Get it wrong and you might find that you don't have full range of shift lever movement. To adjust the lever position I believe you adjust the length of the linkage between lever and transmission.

// marc
  14. JefRo

JefRo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone sucessfully mounted the Fastways F3 to the HP2? I assume that the peg mounting geometry is the same as the GS1200.
  15. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    And any short legged folks who prefer the pegs on lowboy position, or is that only any good for 'the tall' (29 inch ish inseam)?
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    28" inseam and I have mine in the high position, but that is still lower by .5" than stock. You can get maybe .3 more in the low position. I would have done that except I didn't realize you could when I put them on, and I am too lazy to change it now!:deal

Jim :brow
  17. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, asking as I too will probably be too lazy to change them when they are fitted.
  18. raydar

raydar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that most everyone that has a GS has already installed a set of Fastways pegs. I got a set for Christmas and have not dine a how-to yet on ADV rider so I thought I might try. So here goes I will start with a short eplanation then some pictures. First let me say that all the measurements from the floor are with the motorcycle on the center stand. As a bit of information the left and right footpege do not measure the same from the ground, this just merely how the bike is built and until I measure them I had no idea.

Attached Files:

19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Jim :brow
  20. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    +1 as mine are in the box...

Also, Possu posted this in another thread which may be of interest as its a slightly modified fit method:

By chance I fitted Fastways to an R1200GS this afternoon. Easy to do, although the gear lever needed to be removed to remove the left footpeg pivot pin. I also ditched the shims that allow you adjust the peg angle. Instead, I used a 6mm stainless nut as a locknut against the peg itself - more adjustability & easier to adjust also.

Note that the gear lever is retained by an external Torx screw that requires the correct tool. I used Molegrips to remove it & replaced it with a 6mm stainless Caphead bolt of the correct length - one less tool to buy & carry with you.

Also note that when you remove the stock pegs, you'll find a spacer/washer that you can utilise with the Fastways to raise or lower the peg height.

Regards

Steve