Fastway footpegs on the GS1200

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kirkmoon, Oct 3, 2004.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the same from my 11GS to my 12GS, but no mods necessary.

Jim :brow
  2. thumperB

thumperB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A question for those with fastways:

Is the distance from the front of the footpeg to the shifter shorter with the fastways than it is with the stock pegs?:ear If so, by about how much?

I would like to get the fastways but if it makes the distance to the shifter too short I'd probably have to get an adjustable shifter. Just wondering...

Thanks
  3. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good question. I never measured it, but it would seem that if you are going down from stock, you aould be increasing the distance, but since the pegs are wider you would be closing the distance. My guess, based on riding them both ways, it that the two movements cancel each other out, and the distance is pretty much the same.

I could be wrong...

4. Bounce

Bounce Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems about right to me. With the lowered pegs and with no adjustment to the shifter or rear brake, the distance is about the same, though both are a little higher and require a slightly different foot angle.
  5. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread inspired me to mount my Fastways on the 12GS over the weekend. The stainless steel lock nut is a great idea over the use of shims!

So, after securing the pegs in the low position, retracting the sidestand and assuming the position while on the centerstand, marveling at the comfortable platform whilist standing, I sat on the seat...My left boot heel depresses the sidestand approx. 1/2". I'm thinking rubber shims under the sidestand stop? Anyone else experienced this issue?
  6. Gumbydave

Gumbydave motorcycle doofus

Oddometer:
    Yes but I only feel it on the shifter side when standing up riding which I did for 200 miles last weekend and I lived with it. But it would be nice to have a cure because it is annoying. If it was an issue on the Brake side it would be a mandatory fix, but it is not
  7. ADVSaint

ADVSaint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beils:

Not sure you want to think that way! ;-)

It is understandable that you might be concerned with the sidestand triggering an ignition shut off when your size 12 (or what have you) hits it during a weight shift. I would anyways! Fortunately, it seems to take a good 4-6" of lowering travel (of the sidestand) to commence such an action - unlikely except, perhaps, in the most extreme of hill climb event circumstances.

The real concern for adding a rubber shim under the sidestand stop is the effect it will have on limiting cornering on those sweeping decreasing radius left turns.

Hold a board even with the travel direction of the bike up against the end of the Fastways peg. Now lower the sidestand to be even with the peg and notice that the mid bend in the stand protrudes much lower than you might otherwise think.

Presuming you have the Fastways in the lower position, you have 2 options as i see it: raising the pegs, bars and seat collectively or letting your heel snug up against the sidestand and even letting it push the stand down a bit.

Just shift off it when those sweeps arise!
  8. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I'm glad this thread resurfaced. I almost forgot to put my Fastway's on my new Adventure. The new Adventure pegs are nice but the Fastway's are much nicer. :nod
  9. Thorfin

Thorfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Got these from a buddy and have no complaints. Whats the cost of the fastways?
  10. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good advice Saint...You read my mind...I think I'll stick to the back roads with the GS and make sparks with the GT2.
  11. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's what the Fastways F3 pegs look like on my R12 GSA. They lower the peg height almost exactly 3 cm. That make a big difference for a tall guy.

I have a Hammerhead shifter size 14--necessary because the Fastways are a bit further forward than stock.

Even with my size 14 (EU 48) feet, I have no problems with the sidestand--perhaps the GSA has different geometry.

I do find my right calf rubbing on the right side air intake tube. Minor annoyance.

[​IMG]
  12. Bounce

Bounce Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my lowered Fastways on the 12 gs. After ridng my GF's f650gs with stock pegs, I can't help but think that it would be an improvement for that bike too as the pegs are truly narrow and provide little platform.
  13. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    I've been looking online for Fastway pegs and they offer the F3, the F4 and the F5 is coming out at the end of June.
    What's the diff?
  14. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    Figured it out.. F5 is the latest version. Part #222605 for the R12GS.
    I ordered them on amazon.com for a total of $128 including shipping.
  15. CochraneDakar

CochraneDakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guyz, I was looking at a set of Fastways for my 12Gs, and ended up with a pair of Powerpegz instead from the folks at Iron Horse in Tucson....i love the fastways but these powerpegz actually swivel forward a bit and make it easier to get your boot under the stock shifter. So far they have been great

Anyone else using this instead of Fastways?
  16. sspect

sspect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ordered a set of Fastway footpegs from TT this week....all the posts have been very helpful, but it appears that ones for the 2007 GS are not out yet??? or will the #400 collars make it work??
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The difference is less than 1/8". As a matter of fact many of them fit with the old pegs just fine. If you are in a hurry, simply get the 12GS pegs and, if necessary, file off the tiny bit of difference.

18. sspect

sspect Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this site...instant gratification...I mean information
  19. jddirtbiker

jddirtbiker iwannaride

Oddometer:
    I installed a set of the PivotPegz on an 1150GS. After taking them from MN to WY, ID and MT this summer I am very happy with them. :thumbup They are much wider than the stockers and (as advertised) pivot just enough to ease shifting while standing on the pegs. They use a sharp-tooth type style grip that I'm used to from my dirt bikes vs the screw in pegs featured on the Fastway pegs. They were about $135 from bob's cycle supply.

My only minor complaint is that since they are without a rubber insert they do transmit a bit more vibration to your boot. But it's worth the trade-off IMHO.
  20. Longer

Longer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I just got my F3 pegs (missing the tool but I think I can use a vise to press in the collars). One question for you guys: I can't figure out from the supplied instructions or the description in this thread (very well done by the way) what these washer/spacers are for? See pic.

I haven't tried putting them on the bike yet so maybe it's obvious but I can't seem to figure this out from looking at the parts & pics.

Thanks!
    Longer

[​IMG]

Edit:

Ok, so I found another picture that shows them (I think) being used with the smaller diameter spacers. See below. Is this the ticket?

Apologies to Raydar and charleshmosesii for using their pics to explain myself here.

Longer

[​IMG]