Father and Daughter first road trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Mane, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

I wanted to share a small, but special trip my daughter and I made this last November.

My daughter Ericka, is 12 yrs. old, and even though she has join me in a few short trips on the bike before, this was her first “long” trip. For starters, this was the first time she had to pack to a motorcycle trip.. :-)

We live near Guatemala City, and I choose a route that will take us through the coastal warm side of the country and return through the mountainous, colder and more scenic side.

For those wanting to have a better idea of the route, this is what we did.

[​IMG]

This route was about 580 km total, with a quite few more stops than I would usually do if I were travelling alone.

After a few months of anticipation, the big day arrived and the “Kanalla”, our Ktm 990 Adv was loaded and ready to go. We kissed Mom and our smaller daughter goodbye (who is already expecting her big bike ride with me in a couple of years).

After some last minute, technical difficulties with the cheap Chinese intercoms I bought from eBay for this particular trip, we’re finally ready to go…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we were on the road, our first planned stop was San Lucas Toliman, Sololá to have breakfast.

This little town is right at the shore of Lake Atitlan where you can enjoy some nice views with your breakfast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This being a town with a remarkably high indigenous population and somewhat a tourist destination is expected to find some local arts & crafts for sale at the main entrance of the hotel where we had breakfast.

[​IMG]

It was also interesting to found some evidence of the so called “cultural clash”, where Halloween meets the “Dia de todos los santos” (Day of all saints) with a mayan shrine twist..

[​IMG]
    EMFL, pahusky, Kim F and 16 others like this.
  2. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Afterwards, we got back on the bike and head back to the main route, which is about a hour from this location (or an hour and half if you get lost right before leaving town… )

At this time, it was just past noon and we were at the warmest leg of our trip. We had to stop for refuelling. The passenger was already getting tired and worn down by the heat.. ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always worry about packing to much stuff on a bike trip, but somehow I felt a little bit relieved after watching this poor 125cc bike…

[​IMG]

We got on the bike and rode for about 1.5 hours more before reaching Retalhuleu, at this time we felt wear down be the sun and heat and choose to made a refreshing stop at a gas station before begin the ride up to the mountains and colder climate.

[​IMG]

From here we headed to “Fuentes Georginas”, a hot springs right into the mountains, that was our second destination of the trip (and the main attraction, I should say).
  3. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We arrived later than we originally expected and the hot spring entrance keeper told us that we had an hour before the place closes, but that wasn’t the worst part though. At this time, you could hear a storm brewing in the mountains and the fog was getting ticker by the minute. So we decide to hurry up, because neither of us wanted to arrived at Xela in the dark and wet.

Here’s some pics of the hot springs…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were determined to dive in the hot springs not matter what, so we quickly switch to our swimsuits and into the springs…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather was getting colder and it was becoming harder to get out as the warm water felt so good…

None the less, we harden up and hurried up, otherwise the ride to Xela could become very unpleasant to said the least.

40 minutes after we got into the hot springs parking lot we were ready to leave…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EMFL, savetheclutch, xr-nut and 10 others like this.
  4. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should mention that I really enjoy coming to this place, the road is very narrow and washed out at some places with some dramatic drops. Some people would say it is dangerous but I really like the views.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As luck will have it, we arrived in Xela dry with just a bare of light.
  5. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After checking into our hotel and unloading the bike, we went out to have something for dinner. I’m been to Xela many times before and usually take pride on making an effort to try out local dishes every place I visit, but somehow this dish has been elusive all this time…

[​IMG]

This “Quichón” is a local somewhat spicy sauce recipe of the region. This brown sauce is usually combine with pork or chicken. Today I’m going to try out the Chicken variant.

[​IMG]

.. and after longish hot riding day, you should indulge yourself with the local beer...

[​IMG]

Even though the Quichón probably deserved a glass of ride wine, it was no problem enjoying to the end. Unfortunately two beers were necessary to do the job…

[​IMG]

Ericka had some fried chicken that was also very good.. and hungry she was..

[​IMG]
    xr-nut, tjzondrz, SuperChuck and 9 others like this.
  6. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After dinner I took Ericka for a tourist walk around town.

The first stop was at the “Teatro Municipal” (Municipal theater) that has been open to the public since 1895.

[​IMG]

We waited outside for aprox 10 minutes for a ballet recital to be finished before we could enter. It didn’t disappoint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, it was a short walk to the “Parque Central” (Main Square)

[​IMG]

Although, it was almost 9:00pm, the square was very lively with many people passing by and street vendors doing their thing. It was pleasant evening with fresh and crisp night.

After that we went to the hotel and rest for the night.
    xr-nut, tjzondrz, SuperChuck and 8 others like this.
  7. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a good night sleep, we were ready for the return home. The morning was fresh and the weather looked fine for the return home. Here’s some Xela’s pics from our balcony…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After good buffet breakfast at the hotel, we gear up ourselves and load the bike we were finally reading for the 210 km (130 miles aprox) return home.

[​IMG]
    EMFL, tjzondrz, SuperChuck and 6 others like this.
  8. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I my opinion, this road (Xela to Guatemala City) is one of the best motorcycle roads in Guatemala and I really enjoy it.

Right after a few minutes after departing Xela, be made an stop at a mirador to take on last view at Xela’s valley. Unfortunately, it wasn’t possible this time. There were some huge trees and bushes that block the view at valley. Anyway the view was still fine…

[​IMG]

After this stop we got on the bike once again and rode at an enjoyable peace to soak in the views, curve after curve. What nice ride the road is!

After a short while we arrived at Tecpan, an town almost at the middle between Xela and City (A little of touristy spot..) to get a refreshment as I was feeling my passenger was getting a little sleepy.. :eekers

[​IMG]

We both got some cold “Horchata’s” (A regional refreshment beverage made of rice) that were spectacular an just what Ericka wanted for the last push to home.

[​IMG]
  9. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 20 km before we entered the city, almost without warning, the sky opened and a heavy rain came down on us. It was such a downpour that visibility suddenly became so limited that we had to stop at the first covered place we could find, and wait for the storm to pass. The place was a Gas Station where we meet a couple of old gentlemen on Harleys all leather up, also waiting for the rain to stop. We had some small talk as they both were considering getting a big Trail (Adventure) bike to extend their riding possibility around the country. They were nice to Ericka, praised her for getting so young into bike travel. For the look in her face, I knew she felt quite a hero, standing all wet and cold at the gas station. Nice way for her to end her first bike road trip. ;-)

After the storm passed, we said our farewell to the Harley guys and rode straight home, where the rest of the family waited for us.

We arrived home wet, but glad and feeling blessed.

Hope you enjoy it!

That’s all folks, thank you for following..

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Mane
    Titlerider, EMFL, DavidM1 and 38 others like this.
  10. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Great RR.
    And a great way to make awesome memories, and build dreams.
    KneeDrachen, Snapper33 and Mane like this.
  11. Desert/Mtn/Sea

Desert/Mtn/Sea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. What a great way to create life long memories.
    KneeDrachen and Mane like this.
  12. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Excellent!!
    KneeDrachen and Mane like this.
  13. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing!
    Mane likes this.
  14. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Que maravillosa experiencia compartir con tu hija. Tengo envidia de tu aventura. ¡Recordará este viaje para siempre! Excelente!
    Mane likes this.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. I loved Xela and the mountain area. Your country is so beautiful and interesting! I wish I had been riding when my daughters were young and I could have shared such an adventure with them.
    Mane likes this.
  16. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent bonding experience. Salud and memories!
    Mane likes this.
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow really cool! Great job Ericka!! Such a great way to spend time with your daughter. Thanks for the report! Cheers!
    Mane likes this.
  18. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report and thanks for sharing with us!

Eric
    Mane likes this.
  19. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    She's a trooper! Great ride report and beautiful country!
    Mane likes this.
  20. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done, and great RR! I look forward to when my zero-year-old daughter is old enough to ride with me, and then ride on her own bike someday!
    Mane likes this.