Father and Son ride the AZBDR and more

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dusty Pipes, Nov 17, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :thumb

Great update @Dusty Pipes! Killer shots of the scenery in Lockhart Basin, looks like a fun arse ride. That water crossing makes it look like the water's just about up to the seat - any issues with water in the air box when you were across? Also looks to be murky, hate crossing streams like that when you can't see the rock that'll deflect your front (had that happen to me for the first time on my last big ride and ended up taking a bath).

Awaiting the update on your last day, sounds like things might have gone a little pear-shaped.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  2. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    Following with interest and some familiarity. Your last deep water crossing was some fun my buddy and I also “experienced “ about 3 weeks prior to your group, but we “ got” to do it both ways as we were staying in Moab. True it was deep, wide and murky, but it was educational. I learned that vented ITB riding pants is the perfect funnel to inject cold water into your boots and crotch, which didn’t help to enhance the all day riding experience one bit. Lesson learned as I now have OTB, non vented pants for future submarine action. Great report, keep the pics and details coming!
  3. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Had the joy to do Lockhart on my KLR 4 years ago...on a broken leg (broke it about 2 hours prior in some deep sand).
    Not so quick trip to the Moab ER ended that BDR. Was fun picking the bike up x 2. Good times.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Now that's a valuable lesson!
    Dusty Pipes, FLYING EYEBALL and JW like this.
  5. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks, no issues with any bikes getting water logged, but yes, it was deep, almost too deep. Couldn't see a thing in that water, just crossed and hoped for the best, figured since it was a road that the odds of a big rock or three were minimal.
  6. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Thanks, there have been times that a water bath is welcomed. I have forgotten many times that the vents on my pants were open and didn't realize it until it was too late. Luckily all of my vents were closed this time due to the cold part in the snow crossing over the pass to get into the basin that day.
    JW likes this.
  7. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Ouch! glad you made it out. I have read reports of some having to spend the night due to injury or mechanical issues, not good.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  8. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 15 Moab, UT to Green River, UT.

The last day of riding on our epic adventure. The last day is always a mixed day of emotions, partly sad because the adventure will soon be over and then you have to return to normal daily life, and partly proud and happy because another successful adventure will be in the books.

I slept great last night, might have been the Crown, might have been the completion of Lockhart Basin, not sure, but even with the great sleep I woke up suffering a bit, and that was definitely from the crown. I wasn't the only one, we were all a bit hungover and sluggish in the morning, but hey, we were going to have an easy day and a nice ride to Green River, all is good. So we slowly packed up camp and rode into Moab for some McD's, which helped us to feel somewhat better, nothing like an egg mcmuffin and coffee to get you kickstarted in the morning when you are hungover.

After breakfast we headed out, you go into an ORV area where the slickrock trail is, I have ridden it on my dirt bike, it was fun, but not today, we wanted easy as my head was still sore and the energy was low. After you get out of the ORV area you continue to climb, all good so far, the road was a little soft but luckily it was dry, from here you could see the snow line and the top of the pass, you could see the road on the other side where we were going.

20190525_105413_001.jpg

I was starting to get comfortable again on the bike with the hangover, we passed a guy doing cross country running and thought to myself "that is just way too much work", better to be on a moto, he waved, we all waved back. a few turn later after passing the runner it started to get wet and muddy. We are not talking just mud, it was this new and improved super mud, way worse than the mud on the road in Arizona, and it got deeper and we were going uphill.

20190525_110639.jpg

You couldn't maintain any speed in the ruts, and you couldn't get out of the ruts because it was so slick, if you did get out of the rut you would just slide back in right away.

20190525_111021.jpg

Sean fell over a few times, the first time he was able to get it back up himself, the second time, the bike was too heavy from the mud and it was too slick so I had to help him, but the hardest part was trying to find a way to keep my bike standing while I helped him. Then I slid over, I went over a water bar but on the other side was a slope and I just went down, there was nothing I could do, it was the slowest crash I ever had, it took me a bit of effort to get my bike up. My boots were fully caked, I was a good 6 inches taller! Around this point the cross country runner had passed us, you could see his thoughts in his expression as he went by, pretty sure he was thinking, "That's a lot of work, better to be running and not on a moto". Ironic justice for sure. The third time Sean went down, Damon had caught up, so I made him go help Sean because I had no energy left. This was definitely some kind of super mud, and way too much work for being hungover. The last 200 yards we all duckwalked our bikes up the road, it was slow and very, very tiring, I had never been so glad to see pavement in all my life.

This was the tire after a half mile on the pavement, I was getting dirt bombed by my own bike, the tires were chucking clumps of mud from the tires and it was coming right back at me, it was crazy. You can see some of it on my helmet and windshield.

20190525_111941.jpg

20190525_112353.jpg

We were all pretty tired, this was way more work than we were expecting, but we made it to the top and were able to stop and rest for awhile.
  9. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 15 continued...

After our rest stop we headed out again, the paved road descending back down was sweet, unfortunately, with so much mud still packed in my tires I had no confidence in the traction to corner too fast, so it was easy going, this was the last day, no time to wreck now. Eventually we got back into the dirt and it was nothing like we just had, which was good, very good actually, we were still high enough to get some spots of snow.

20190525_114806.jpg

Just a beautiful view of the valley below, so green. Much greener than I ever expected Moab to be.

20190525_115045.jpg

Farther down, the road became more tighter and twistier once again, still feeling the effects of last night and then the mud this morning made this section seem a lot harder than it was, and it was now starting to get hot.

20190525_122058.jpg

There were a lot of water crossings as we crisscrossed the stream that carved out this canyon.

20190525_124649.jpg

20190525_130152.jpg
  10. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 15 continued...

It was at this point that I realized something was wrong with my bike, my dash was moving with every bump, then I noticed my entire tower was loose as well. I pulled over, reached out to my tower and was able to move it up and down, I was like, "Oh shit, my tower's loose". I installed that tower myself and made sure every single bolt had locktite and was torqued properly, I guess after 2700 miles of bouncing around was too much for the blue locktite. So I had to stop and retighten every screw, and there was a lot of them, Sean came up and he had some locktite so I was able to put some fresh stuff on the main bolts, I had also lost a bolt somewhere along the way, if I wouldn't have noticed I think it would have fallen completely off in another mile or two. Lucky for me I had only lost 1 bolt. After that, I was back on the move. Hmmm, the last day and now we were starting to have issues, what would be next?

20190525_125026.jpg

We came up upon an old mining camp/town, there were 3 dirt bikes that had stopped for a break, so we stopped to check out the buildings and chat with the other riders.

20190525_135121.jpg

They told us about the mine that was over behind the cabin, so we had to check it out.

20190525_135202.jpg
    20190525_135346.jpg

I didn't go too far inside, I didn't want to get trapped down there or worse. There was just a whole lot of black around that corner.

20190525_135410.jpg
  11. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 15 continued...

After our little exploration, we headed back out. As we left I caught a faint sniff of coolant, but there were 3 other strange bikes right there, so maybe one of their dirt bikes had vented a bit, I know my 2 stroke when it gets worked will spit out a little coolant from time to time, so I thought nothing of it and we rode.

20190525_135838.jpg
    This part was as straight as could be, we flew down this section, even though it was straight and boring, it was welcomed today.

20190525_143611.jpg

After we crossed over I-70, the road once again became more tighter and twistier, I had caught up to Damon and got another sniff of coolant, and then a few corners later he pulled over, I rode up beside him and asked him what was up, and he said his bike was running hot, it was at full bars on the temp gauge. Now today was the warmest we had seen, after the high speed run we just had, I figured it was just all of that, I told him to keep going, but keep a watch on it, it did go down 1 bar while we sat there, so off we went.

I kept getting the odd whiff of coolant again, so I knew something was up, but we didn't have much farther to go so I stayed behind Damon as a precaution. In a few miles he pulled over again, his bike was still running hot. We looked it over, couldn't find any leaks, but could smell the coolant, we only had something like 10-15 miles left before Green River, so the plan was to see if we can make it back to the truck. We thought maybe the rad was filled with fine dirt and debris, so we removed the radiator protector to maximize air flow to the radiator. This seemed to help, but we still had to stop a few times to make sure nothing serious was happening. There are no pics at this point, because it turned more into just getting to civilization without killing the 690 than worrying about the adventure we were finishing.

The good news is he was able to limp back to Green River, we had to stop and take the final picture of us where it all began.

20190525_165749.jpg
    So, after 15 days of riding, almost 2800 miles of riding, seeing all types of weather, from sun, to rain, to snow, to freezing temps, to you name it, we saw it all and we completed our loop. All that was left was to have dinner, get the bikes loaded up and tomorrow morning we head back home. No serious injuries, no serious drama, just a few minor things to deal with. All in all a pretty good adventure.
  12. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Proper gear helps...MX boots served as a walking cast of sorts...and of course ignorance. Thought it was a sprain so kept trucking.
    Liked your report - need to get back out there and complete some unfinished business.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I hate that $hit, it's caused two of my long rides to be fubard. Glad it wasn't longer and I feel you on the falling over and picking your bike up. Had to hike ~5 miles in that crap (in gear) after abandoning our bikes on the track because the rain never stopped and we couldn't even push the bikes.

[​IMG]
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome adventure @Dusty Pipes, great to read that you guys were able to finish everything without anything major getting in the way. Appreciate you taking the time to document everything and tell us your story :ricky :ricky :thumb
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  15. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report and great pics! Love the Moab area.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  16. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Nice, thanks for taking us along!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  17. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    great update
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  18. PNW Buttercup

PNW Buttercup Dancing with dirt roads...

Oddometer:
    LOL
    "The last 200 yards we all duckwalked our bikes up the road, it was slow and very, very tiring, I had never been so glad to see pavement in all my life."

Welcome to my off road riding world!!!
    :lol3
    Phoenix101, Ladybug and Dusty Pipes like this.
  19. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done. Was fun riding along from here.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  20. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Terrific ride report. Thank you for taking the time to do it and I hope you do more ride reports after the rides you have coming up in 2020. I've subscribed to the thread so I won't miss your wrap up of this adventure.

PS - it is super cool that you do father son rides!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.