Father and Son ride the AZBDR and more

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dusty Pipes, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    very cool report and thank you for sharing!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  2. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great comments.
    NoelJ likes this.
  3. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 16 Green River, UT to Home.

We ended up finishing our loop ahead of schedule, we didn't get to explore the Grand Canyon North Rim area, due to snow, which is where we made the extra time, even with the 2 day delay in Flagstaff, the trip ended on Day 16, instead of Day 17. This meant we were driving home the Sunday instead of Memorial Day, so that would help us with traffic. We had loaded the bikes up the night before, so we were able to head out early, there really isn't a good fast food place to have breakfast in Green River, I think we stopped at the Arby's, which was in a gas station, and it wasn't very good, but it was about all we had.

We made good time to I-15 North, and through the Salt Lake City corridor we were going through at peak church time on a Sunday, there was a handful of cars on the road, quite different from the Saturday afternoon traffic jams on the way down.

Salt Lake City traffic on a Sunday morning, couldn't get any better than this.

20190526_093741.jpg

We made our usual stop at In'N'Out burgers, if anyone knows me they know I won't pass up a chance for In'N'Out, I love that place.

When we got to the Butte, MT area we caught up to a storm, we wondered if this was the same storm that had been following us the last part of the trip, probably not, but there was some good rain, and we missed a lot of hail, there was so much hail on the ground, it looked like it had snowed.

20190526_163046.jpg
    We fought the storms most of the way home from here, sometimes having to slow down from all the water on the road, at least the bikes were getting power washed before we even got home from all the downpours. It would seem the adventure was still continuing. We finally made it home, it is always nice to finally pull into your own driveway after traveling so far away and being gone for so long. Tired, sore, and satisfied from our epic journey.

I want to thank all that have followed along, I hope you enjoyed reading my report as much as I have enjoyed writing it and reliving it. Now, onto the next adventure, but where? So many choices, so many places to see. We still have time to decide, but I have a few ideas in mind.

Until Next Time,
    TakSD, Foiler, Blaise W and 11 others like this.
  4. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely done, thanks for taking the time to share your ride/life report with us, and pics of course....look forward to the next adventure!!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Very enjoyable ride report.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  6. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Great RR

did I miss why the 690 was overheating?
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Missed the last update, looks like a long slog home, but I hear ya - always nice to pull back into the driveway knowing you're going to sleep in your own bed that night. I've only been able to pull off a trip of that length once thus far and it was easily the best trip of my riding life yet - 3 weeks in Baja (though only riding 13 days). If you haven't done Baja before, I'd strongly recommend it - though not in the summer months (lol).

Another thought if you don't mind me throwing it out there, have you done any riding in SE Oregon and Northern NV? Thousands of miles of tracks to explore and enjoy, I could spend months there if I had it.

Again, appreciate the report @Dusty Pipes, hoping to catch whatever you post next and follow along :thumb
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  8. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    So, after we got home the next weekend we started to dig into why the 690 was acting up, I forgot to mention that he also pretty much burnt up the clutch in the uphill super mud on the last day as well. Initially I thought the radiator was packed with dirt and that fine clay, so we washed the bikes thoroughly so that we could better tell what was up. The coolant level was low so it was either boiling out or leaking out. The year before Damon had a bad crash during the touratech rally, he went off the road and slammed pretty hard, as well as puncturing the radiator, so we sent it last year to Myer's to get fixed. Turns out that when Damon installed the repaired radiator, when he was doing his cable and wire management, a zip-ty was against the radiator, and lo and behold it took about 5000 miles of forest roads to wear that zip-ty into the radiator, in the pic the clear oval is not my doing, it is the paint rubbed off from the zip-ty, and if you look closely enough you can see where it actually wore into the channel and caused a leak. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself, so be careful when placing a zip-ty, they can wear things down over time. The radiator took another trip to Myer's and it is as good as new again.

Resized952019061095143526.jpg

I also lost a front fork seal on my bike from the super mud, also another fairly easy fix.
    Foiler, Kyron and Ladybug like this.
  9. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    I have done some riding in Central East Oregon, haven't had the chance to make it that far south, as long as there isn't much sand I would be interested in it, not a big fan of sand or super mud. We are lucky to be living in the Western US, there is so much riding areas to discover and enjoy. I would love to go to Baja, unfortunately, the winter is my busy time at work, but it works out for me to enjoy the summer riding around here.
    liv2day likes this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    No much sand to deal with and the super mud is only an issue if it rains; if you plan a trek out there in late June or late August or early September, rain shouldn't be an issue. I have lots of GPX tracks if you're interested, and you could easily make it a couple week trip by starting off in OR and looping down to do the Battleborn loop RMC put together. And there's the Nevada BDR - thousands of miles to explore.

Knobby side down for the next adv!
    Ladybug and Dusty Pipes like this.
  11. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, it sounds like an adventure.

Do you have a route that connects the WABDR to the IDBDR in Jarbridge?
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    You know what would be fantastic - taking the CDR (Cascade Discovery Route) from WA/OR border and then making your way east toward ID. I'd have to look at everything on a map as I'm not familiar with Jarbridge or the IDBDR, but imagine it's possible to connect the two without too much asphalt travel.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  13. Bob Brooks

Bob Brooks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report--nicely done!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  14. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will look into the CDR.
    liv2day likes this.