Father and Son ride the COBDR and UTBDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dusty Pipes, Jul 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here we go again, another Father/Son ride for us. I feel very lucky that my son and I can do these adventures together and at the end of one look forward to the next one. He truly is my favorite riding partner. For this adventure we will be trucking the bikes down to Idaho Falls and then riding down to the COBDR, riding the COBDR north to south, taking in a scenic side trip of Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass, then at the end of the COBDR, we will head over and ride the UTBDR back south to north to Idaho Falls, 2 weeks total for the trip. We will not be doing Lockhart Basin this time as we have already ridden that on our big trip in May 2019, this time we will take the other easier route to Moab to see what we missed, all other expert options will be taken.
    I am on a Husky 701 and my son is on a KTM 690 and it will be an adventure for sure. I hope to update the ride reports as we have service and time. Go day is this Sunday, 7/18.
  2. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow is Go day!!!! :clap
    Friday was the last day of work for the next 2 weeks, it already feels good to be on vacation and we haven't even left yet. We spooned on the last new tire yesterday, and now are all loaded up and ready to head out early tomorrow morning. First day is just trucking the bikes down to Idaho Falls, should be a relatively mild day.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most excellent @Dusty Pipes!! Definitely in for this adventure, cannot wait to follow along and see what you guys get into. Still hoping my oldest son wants to do this stuff with me too, such a priceless gift to share.

Safe driving on your way and always knobby side down
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  4. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    We started out early this morning, bikes loaded, and headed east, been real smoky so far, having lunch right now in Butte, hoping that the smoke will be lessened the further south we go. PXL_20210718_143436138.jpg
  5. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Made it to Idaho Falls, left the truck at a friend's and headed out, camping at a nice campground along the snake river Thankfully there is minimal smoke here, hoping it stays like that for the rest of our trip. Drove past a fire burning near I-15, other than that just hot, dry, and smoky most of the way.

PXL_20210719_031228136.jpg

PXL_20210719_023635244.jpg

PXL_20210718_202839159.MP.jpg
  6. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im in for this one.
    Bikes are brother and sister DNA.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  7. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Idaho Falls to Rock Springs
    Our alarm clocks went off early this morning, actually it was the construction site next to the campground, they were pouring concrete at 5:45 am. It got us up, we packed up and headed out. We took hwy 26 to Alpine and then took Grey's river road to LaBarge, Wy. I highly recommend Grey's river road, it went through some beautiful country, the summit was Tri Basin Divide, the climb peaked out at 8600ft, from there we descended down into the valley. LaBarge didn't have any dining so we got gas and pressed on. We went from some of the most beautiful country to barren desert and hot. We endured the slab to Rocky Springs where we are having a nice Chinese lunch. From here we will follow the ut-co north connector to the start of the cobdr.

PXL_20210719_155020934.jpg

PXL_20210719_172030611.jpg

PXL_20210719_174612796.jpg
  8. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    More pics PXL_20210719_171200552.jpg

PXL_20210719_171140028.jpg
  9. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in. My brother and I are planning on doing the IDBDR starting 7/26, from Woodland, UT. I have already done the southern half and don't want to miss the northern half. Because of the fires - I am seriously considering having us switch to the COBDR - North to South. I will be watching this carefully.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son and I are running COBDR north to south as well. Aug 2 to 6th. Will be lurking here until then.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  11. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    I am from North Idaho and would not recommend the northern part of the idbdr this year, it is extremely dry, lots of fires and very smokey, plus all of the good stuff you will not be able to do because of fire closures. Just the little bit of offroad we have already done here and there is way more moisture, we have 2 fire reroutes we will end up doing tomorrow but the rest of it and the utbdr are clear and open for now.
    Ohio_Danimal and liv2day like this.
  12. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 2 continued, Rock Springs to Baggs, WY
    After our nice lunch we connected with the ut-co connector and made our way to Baggs. It was mostly just hot and barren, there were some clouds and it was nice when we were under one, it made it surprisingly more comfortable. The dirt roads were very well travelled and treated so the dust was minimal, the scenery reminded me of a western movie. I always wonder how the settlers with their horse and wagon made it across this terrain, it doesn't look very enjoyable. We ended the day with a great dinner at Brenda's Home cooking restaurant, it was really good, we are planning to have breakfast there tomorrow as well. Now we are at the Happy Camper RV park where we can have a shower, then relax with some whiskey. It was a long day and we knew today was going to be a long haul, but we wanted to get to the good stuff where we can now slow down and enjoy the ride. We can see the colorado hills from our camp

PXL_20210719_223538522.jpg PXL_20210719_224606279.jpg
    PXL_20210720_024534611.jpg
  13. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you download the Utah Colorado Northern connector route, I cannot locate it on the BDR website? I would like to jump on it as soon as possible coming from Northern Utah. Thanks.
  14. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    ^^^It was an option to download when you go to the download bdr page after you give your info and sign the waiver
    utefan likes this.
  15. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 3 AM, Baggs, WY to Steamboat Springs
    Got a better night's sleep and woke up on our own, no concrete workers to interrupt our sleep.
    After a nice breakfast at Brenda's Home cooking, it was a quick slab to the beginning of the COBDR, there is a small national forest section, other than that it is through ranch land, and, wow, there are some pretty sweet ranches back there. The national forest section was nice, going through some dense mountain aspen forests(I think, I can't tell one tree from another to save my life). Got some nice gopro footage of it, I hope. There was some smoke around Columbine, no reroutes yet, other than that it has been really clear. The dirt was good and the roads were flowing, we had a nice pace just enjoying the music and scenery.
    PXL_20210720_170735980.jpg

PXL_20210720_173107254.jpg

PXL_20210720_183127028.jpg

When we gassed up we asked the mechanic where there was a good burger place, he directed us to The backdoor and he was right, the burger was excellent.
    liv2day, Aikenrunner, Critic and 11 others like this.
  16. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210720_194142650.jpg

And this little Chinese POS almost ended the trip for my son, he pulled it out from his 12V socket and some pieces decided not to come with, it started sparking and smoking, very surprised the fuse didn't blow. We had to disconnect the battery so we could fish out the broken bits with out too much drama. PXL_20210720_195723550.jpg
    liv2day, Aikenrunner, Critic and 6 others like this.
  17. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s one thing I spend good money on. I don’t want that failing me.
    EmmEff and Dusty Pipes like this.
  18. Gurutech

Gurutech n00b

Oddometer:
    Just met these two in Gypsum while riding with my sons as well. It was great to see another father riding with his son! Hopefully we’ll cross paths again!
  19. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Gurutech, it was good to meet all of you, it was quite the adventure yesterday, nothing like bike repairs on the side of the road, thanks so much for the support, hope to see you again.
  20. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 3 PM Steamboat Springs to Gypsum,
    After our great burger we continued on towards Gypsum we had to reroute around the stagecoach state park area due to an active fire. There was some weather above us and it started to sprinkle so we decided to put our rain gear on, luckily we didn't need it and removed it when we rejoined the bdr tracks. We briefly met a group of 3 on ktms from ohio. We continued through the meadows and had a refreshing water crossing, but no culvert issues like I was expecting, not sure if the tracks had already been updated or I am just mixing up the sections.
    After the meadows we got into some nice flowing dirt roads, I set the playlist to 80s metal and just cruised. When we turned off onto Trail Gulch rd I noticed 3 sets if bike tracks, little did I know at the time what fate had in store for us.
    It was a hot dusty and rutted road, we got into Gypsum, got gas and started to look for food, Damon's bike started to have starting issues, and then wouldn't start at all, his brand new battery was dead, not good at all.
    Damon walked the battery over to an auto parts store and got them to put it on a charger, I went in search of camping space.
    I checked out the Gypsum cg but it was full, just as I was coming around the one loop I saw 3 bikes, I followed them and started to chat when they stopped, I explained what was going on with my son's bike and they said they had a boost pak and would help us out, this was Gurutech and his sons, great group of people.
    We went back to where Damon was, he gut the battery back in and it had enough of a charge to make it to the forest where we found a spot for all of us to camp. As we were setting up camp, nature decided to provide a light show and moisture to entertain us.
    PXL_20210720_215811751.jpg

PXL_20210720_234514803.jpg

PXL_20210721_134340358.jpg
    liv2day, Aikenrunner, Critic and 15 others like this.