Father and Son ride the COBDR and UTBDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dusty Pipes, Jul 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are not sure but we think that little Chinese POS charger when it shorted out his 12v socket took out his stator. In the morning we did roadside surgery on the 690 and pulled the stator and sure enough it had a shorted phase.
    PXL_20210721_140426650.jpg

Luckily, because I know that the stator is a weak link on these bikes, we had a spare to use. So we replaced it, put everything back together and there was still enough charge left in the battery to fire it up, put the meter on it and we were getting 14V+, woohoo, the ride is saved. Gurutech and his sons were hanging around in case we needed the use if their booster pak for the first start, but we didn't. We shared some contact info and wished them on their way. If we would not have had that bike issue I never would have met those 3 bike tracks in front if us, and meet some great people. Interesting what fate has in store for you sometimes
    PXL_20210721_134351709.jpg
    Unfortunately I completely missed the chance to get a group photo, this is all I have.
    liv2day, Aikenrunner, Critic and 17 others like this.
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    HA!! A perfect score on that one! You should buy a lottery ticket.

Ride on! Then Write on!
    Dusty Pipes and WSobchak like this.
  3. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was all ready to pull the stator off mine and come rescue you before I read the whole story! Nice job planning ahead for such emergencies.
    Have fun you guys and keep the pics and stories coming.
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :lurk
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  5. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics and story. An adventure already!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  6. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 4, Gypsum to Twin Lakes,
    After we verified the 690 was charging Gurutech and his crew were going to take off, we discussed the fire closure that was ahead of us, but they said they met a rider last night that said they rode it and they also had a conversation at the gas station with a sheriff that said it was open as well, so we all decided to go see if we could get through, the worst case is we get to ride more sweet dirt roads. They headed out first and we stayed to have breakfast and pack our camp since we were working on the 690. We eventually headed out, not seeing them return was good, I was hoping it was open. We road for quite a while when I saw them heading back in defeat, yep it was still closed. I had earlier looked up the area and found a trail that could be a possibility, it would get us to the other road that was open and would go through. I looked on my gps and the trail was just a short ways up the road, so we all went to go check it out. I was right, there was a trail there, but as luck would have it, it was non-motorized. So we needed to just follow the fire reroute. We departed the others and sped off to make up the late start we had.
    The reroute took us through Basalt, a nice historic town, we decided to stop get gas and have lunch. I had an excellent club sandwich with onion rings, Damon had the same with fries. It was very tasty. After lunch we headed out still on the reroute and eventually rejoining the bdr route. We climbed and climbed, there was an intersection and I look at the road going up and thought that looks pretty nasty, and thought we were to keep going straight but after about 20 yards I realized that was the way we were going. I turned around and waited for Damon, then got the gopro out, this was the climb to Hagerman pass. It was a nice climb topping out at just under 12000 ft , the descent was just as entertaining, but we eventually made it down.
    When we got down we saw there was some weather ahead so we put our rain gear and pressed on, it didn't look too bad to the south, the worst was to the east, but once we got back onto the dirt and started to climb, guess which way to the next pass? Yep, it was east, so we found some shelter and waited it out, after an hour it just wasn't letting up, so we decided to head down to Twin Lakes and make camp for the night. Luckily we have service at the campsite so I am able to type this since it is still raining outside. As I am typing this I heard some strange growling not too far away, not sure what it was but I have my bear spray and noise maker (pistol) very close if I need them.
    PXL_20210721_182910926.jpg

PXL_20210721_204431830.jpg

PXL_20210721_210551829.jpg

PXL_20210721_233223499.jpg

It was here where we found a dry tree by a stream and watched the storm do its thing.
    liv2day, Aikenrunner, Critic and 10 others like this.
  7. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great spot to watch a storm and stay dry! I really enjoy watching a great storm. What a great trip.
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just catching up @Dusty Pipes, great pics from the opening ride to get to the start! The scenery from Idaho Falls is killer, would like to see that myself at some point down the road.

Knobby side down gents!
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  9. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Oh my gosh, this is the first time of the trip I was able to connect on the laptop, I started reading my posts, phones are terrible, so many bad words, I don't know how I was able to get as much right as I did. It is good to be on a keyboard again, a real keyboard.
    WSobchak, shuckinator and GringoRider like this.
  10. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Yes, I got lucky when Damon caught the moto bug as bad as I have. I just hope I can keep up with him when I get older.
  11. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    We are only on Day 5 of a 15 day ride, the 701s stator has over 11k on it, there may still be an opportunity for you to do a stator run for us. Plus the 690 is on stator number 3, who knows how long that will last.
    liv2day likes this.
  12. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Twin Lakes to Gunnison, CO.
    When we woke up and started to take down camp we realized how soaked everything was, I don't think there was much of anything that was dry. It is always a nice feeling when you have to wring out the water in your gloves just so you can get them on. We managed to pack everything up, it was a messy time, and then get onto the road. Since we drove around a lot looking for a place to camp and then to get food, we had to go back to Leadville to get fuel, there was no way we would make it to Buena Vista on what we had. At Leadville we gassed up, had a coffee and cliff bars for breakfast. After our hearty meal we headed out to where we left off, when we went past our cover tree I waved and thanked it for all the help and wished the tree to have a nice life. Since there were flash flood warnings for the area we were in, we knew we had to get over the ridge and put that wet stuff behind us. So I set the music to my Haul Ass playlist and off we went, the roads were muddy, wet, and some really big puddles in places, we also had to deal with new erosion ruts from the previous night's monsoon rains. Even with all of that we still made quick work of Weston Pass. On the other side it opened up for a while and we put down the miles as quick as we could, with more storms in the forecast we wanted to get as far as we could before we would have to take cover again. We turned off the well traveled road and got into some really nice 2 track roads, they had some slick spots so you had to be careful of what was coming up. Still needing to make up the miles we kept a decent pace, at that pace you have to stay focused, when you are on the high spot between 2 ruts doing 30+ there isn't a whole lot of room for error. I really got into the zone and it felt like I was just out for a dirt bike ride, jumping the water bars, sliding in the corners, hard to believe I was on a loaded 701. We finally found the broken culvert, I had mentioned it before that I thought we missed it, but it was in this section. After the culvert go around we came up on a group of 3 older gents riding some big bikes, 2 1290s and a super T, the lead rider was picking up his bike, he got cross rutted and went down, the second rider had dried mud on this face, probably from a previous fall, and the third rider was coated in mud, from their looks they were not having as much fun in the mud as we were. We made sure they were all good and then we continued. There were some muddy spots but overall the traction was pretty good until it wasn't, unfortunately you didn't know where the traction was bad and where it was good.
    The route then took us into an ORV area, this was really getting me into the dirt biking mode, I really enjoyed this section, the sand wasn't too bad, with the previous nights rains it was practically hero dirt. There were some pretty interesting water crossings, with the rains they were probably a little deeper than normal. When I got to the first one, there were no tracks in the sand the last few feet to the water, I thought to myself maybe the water was receding that quickly, reminding me of the experience we had in southern Utah, but this was not the case, when I got to the non-tracked area it was sand soup, it really sucked you in and that sand was deep, I almost got stuck in the first one, the other ones I made sure to have a bit more speed going in. We got into Buena Vista and had a quick lunch at the bakery, they have great sandwiches and cookies.
    After lunch and gassing up the weather was starting to move in again, we started off on Cottonwood Pass and got behind a group of cars, this pass is paved so there was a lot of traffic on it. About 1/2 way up we pulled off to put on our rain gear because it looked like we were going to start getting wet. This actually worked out good, because no cars had gone by for quite a while, so when we got moving again we were able to really enjoy the twisties, as much as you can on knobbies with semi-wet pavement. We got so into the curves that eventually I looked down at the gps and noticed there was no longer a line, we missed our turnoff, we backtracked and found the line again on the gps. This section also went through some really good water crossings and another orv area. We stopped at Pitkin to top off our tanks, get a coffee, snack and discuss our plan for the rest of the day, it was getting late and we had been missing the weather rather well for most of the day but it looked like our luck was running out. We decided to make it over Wuanita Pass and when the route popped out at highway 50 we would decide what to do.
    When we got to the highway it looked pretty dark and wet, so we decided to head into Gunnison to have something to eat. During dinner we looked at the radar and decided on staying in Gunnison at the KOA, where we could do laundry and have showers, plus the radar was clear above us and still is as I type this report. My tent is still wet among some of out other gear but we are drying out nicely. If everything goes to plan, tomorrow will be Black Bear Pass. PXL_20210722_155508883.jpg PXL_20210722_160407895.jpg PXL_20210722_175427464.jpg PXL_20210722_181529864.jpg PXL_20210722_200351058.MP.jpg PXL_20210722_200640733.jpg PXL_20210722_210016731.jpg PXL_20210722_210809726.jpg PXL_20210722_222550098.jpg
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    One part of me wants to encourage you to just ride and focus on soaking up every moment with your son. Another part of me wants you to keep posting from the trail, as I'm leaving San Diego next Wednesday to meet my son and do the same north to south route.
    Thanks to your report I'll be more cognizant of the need for rain worthy gear and packing options. It's easy for me to get lazy on that because it just never rains in southern California (cue music here).

Great pics!
    Great report!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Dusty Pipes and Adamgerty325 like this.
  14. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did Weston a few weeks ago, they've graded the west side of it. It used to be far more entertaining...
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  15. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Actually, to be honest I am doing these ride reports for myself, it helps me to remember the adventure. I find that to keep track of what happened each day on a ride like this is too difficult for me, so I like to document the journey, others enjoying it along is just a bonus.
  16. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 6 AM, Gunnison to Lake City.
    With clean smelling clothes and riding gear and everything dried out nicely, we were feeling revitalized and fresh. We stocked up on supplies at the Walmart and then rejoined the bdr where we left it.
    This section started with nice flowing roads and then got into some nice 2 track for awhile. It was muddy, again from all the rain we have been dealing with, but traction was decent for the most part.
    We popped out into more flowing roads and then again into some more 2 track before popping out to a nice flowing road that was along a nice bubbling river. There were lots of fisherman and camping spots.
    We came out on 149 and descended quickly into Lake City. We found the Cannibal Grill and had an excellent bison burger.
    PXL_20210723_165921755.jpg

PXL_20210723_170652443.jpg

PXL_20210723_184415184.jpg
    I think those are the hills we are going over next.
    Time to get gas and then head over cinnamon pass and then down Black Bear Pass into Telluride.

Attached Files:

17. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 6 PM, Lake City to Telluride,
    Now we were about to ride what I feel is the section that made me want to ride the COBDR, I have seen pics, videos, and read ride reports from many who have ventured along this route, now it was my turn. The road out of Lake City starts as nice mellow pavement, we turned off at a scenic lake and were now on the road to epic riding. It was wide and flowing dirt and very scenic as we entered into the valley, slowing climbing and then we come to a gate and sign, cinnamon pass "open" and so began our climb. I saw a prius coming down and thought if that can make it I should be able to as well, although I have no idea how far up they had gone. The road had some recent repair work done on what appeared to have been some small mud slides, the dirt was wet and really soft, I almost lost my front tire in that muck but recovered and that got me to pay attention. It was busy, there was lots of traffic in both directions, which made the trickier sections even trickier. For the switch backs you just had to pick your line and stay committed and everything will go well. We took the usual pics at the top and started to descend down into the historic mining town of Animas Forks. We met 2 riders that were doing the TAT. Then we turned to go up California pass, that one had a tricky switchback near the top, loose rocks and a tricky line since you don't know what you are facing until you get there. At the top is an amazing view, I wished I could have stayed up there longer to enjoy it but weather was starting to move in on us. On the other side is such a gorgeous blue lake, if it wasn't so high up it would be a sweet place to camp. The next pass and last of this series was Hurricane pass, it was the easiest of the 3 and it gave you a spectacular view of the valley below.We descended down an when we got to the 550 we gad a rest and a snack, my legs and arms were tired from all the standing and holding on.
  18. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    I don't have a very good signal where we are camped, so tomorrow when we are in town I will post up some pics and do the ride report for Black Bear Pass. I am tired and am going to sleep soon.
    liv2day, Hiff-Hiffs, Zubb and 2 others like this.
  19. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    We are in Telluride having breakfast and have 5g, so here are some pics from yesterday.
    PXL_20210723_212517161.MP.jpg

PXL_20210723_215320427.jpg PXL_20210723_220812205.jpg
    PXL_20210723_220920249.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210723_220935527.jpg
    PXL_20210723_221612029.jpg
    PXL_20210723_223125510.jpg

We are now off to ascend Imogene Pass, I will do the Black Bear Pass write up after Imogene. I will tell you Lockhart Basin was a walk in the park compared to what we faced on Black Bear.

Attached Files:

20. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Black Bear Pass When I first got into adventure riding a few years ago, I came across a video of some riders going down Black Bear and having quite the time at it, it was at this time I knew I had to go. Fast forward to today and here I am just moments away from a bucket list item for me. After our snack we set the gps to guide us over Black Bear. It was only a short ride on 550 where the turn off is, and where the fun would begin, with storm clouds lingering above we decided to go for it.
    liv2day, Aikenrunner and GringoRider like this.