Father/Son TAT Trip 2016/2017 (finally finished)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MikeIreland, Nov 28, 2016.

1. MikeIreland

MikeIreland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad (Drogo on here) and I had been talking about riding the TAT for a few years and finally decided to pull the trigger and lock in the vacation dates. We settled on Oct 1st to start the trip. We didn't know if we would make it over the Rockies in Oct or not but decided to roll the dice. Neither of us wanted to ride in the heat of the summer.

The bikes

I'm riding my 2015 WR250R. I love this machine. The best bike (for me) I have ever owned. I have put over 7k miles on it since buying it new in June of 2015.

My dad is riding his 2011 KLR650. He also bought it new and says that it is one of the best fitting bikes that he has had. Not sure of mileage on his bike. Around 10k I think?

Drogo lives in Northern NM and decided to truck his bike to my house in Dayton, OH. He arrived on Thurs evening Sept 29. We got his bike unloaded, opened some beers and started sorting gear and talking about the trip. I had to get up the next morning and go to work one more time before the trip started so we a had a couple more beers and went to bed.

After work the next day we started loading the bikes. I decided to do a last minute tire change on my bike. The Kenda Trak Master that I had on it still had some life but I wasn't sure how much so decided to spoon on the new Dunlop 606. The front tire (an IRC Battle Rally) only had about 1k miles on it and still looked great. I wasn't very impressed with this tire off road but decided to just roll with it since it was still like new.
    20160930_152049.jpg

Attached Files:

2. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    At this point we really hadn't decided how we were going to get to Tellico Plains to start the TAT. My wife offered to ride down with us and haul the empty truck and trailer back. We accepted!
    We hit the road Sat morning and arrived in Tellico Plains that afternoon.
    PA010001.JPG PA010002.JPG PA010003.JPG
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love reading father and son trips----as me and my son had so much fun.
    But now he has quit riding---but I have the memories.

So "nothing can go wrong"----------you guys are riding 2 of the best motorcycles ever made !!!!
  4. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    We got the last two cabins at Hunt's Lodge. http://www.huntslodge.com/ Nice clean Cabins for cheap. When I was down here for March Moto Madness I saw this place and decided it would be a good place to start the TAT. We unloaded, went in to town for bbq, then had a nice camp fire with the Family. Last time I would see them for a while. More later.
    PA010005.JPG
    15289107_10154098209583354_7394511060333276511_o.jpg
  5. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    Let me grab some popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Junya

Junya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IN w a brew too!
  7. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Father/Son, WR2.5R, TAT ... I'm in!
  8. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Day One 10/2/16 Tellico Plains, TN to Winchester, TN

178 miles

We geared up, had breakfast and said our goodbyes. This would be the longest that I have ever been away from my wife and kids. It was a strange feeling of sadness leaving the family but excitement at the same time for finally starting the trip that we had been planning for so long. PA020008.JPG
    PA020015.JPG
    PA020016.JPG
  9. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    We turned left out of Hunt's Lodge then made a right onto the TAT. Here we go! Soon we were on Witt Rd and doing the river crossings. Fun stuff! Unfortunately I was having so much fun that I never thought to take pictures and didn't until we stopped that evening. :doh I was a little disappointed at how fast we got out of the mountains and at how much pavement there was for the rest of the day. There were some nice twisty roads though.

We camped that night at Tim's Ford Lake State Park in Winchester, TN. Nice place. A guy came over to chat with us and told us that we were within 25 miles of the Jack Daniels distillery and that we should go tomorrow if we have time. We had a nice campfire and sat around listening to the owls hooting in the distance.
    PA020022.JPG PA020023.JPG
    PA020024.JPG
    PA020019.JPG
  10. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    BigDog! This is all your fault! Reading your reports for the past several years is part of the reason I got into adventure riding and also part of the reason I chose this bike. Thanks!
  11. Drogo

Drogo Motofool

Oddometer:
    You're doing great, keep it going!
  12. Motormom

Motormom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job so far! Ready for more.
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Bigdog has a way of convincing people to load up a bike and hit the road (myself included).

In for this one! :lurk
  14. Okierider46

Okierider46 n00b is correct

Oddometer:
    Good times!! Ready for the rest! And ditto to Big Dog. My Dad introduced me to the idea of riding the TAT by forwarding some of your adventure links. I have since read every one of your posts and bought a 2008 WR that I've put 5k miles on since August! We'll finish up the TAT next year.
  15. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to reading this. My son is 8 right now, in about 8-10 years or so I'm dreaming of maybe getting the same kind of ride together.
    Alas, my dad won't go near 2 wheels and a motor with a 10ft pole:rofl
  16. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure
  17. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    BigDog has been responsible for many people to abandon all responsibility and ride, ride, ride. :D:clap
    gaff, phreakingeek and Boxall like this.
  18. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need to change the title to Big Dog made me do TAT!
  19. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Day Two 10/3/16 Winchester, TN to Florence, AL 222 miles

We broke camp, packed the bikes and rode for a little while before stopping for breakfast. After breakfast we rode for maybe 20 minutes and I suddenly remembered the guy at the campground telling us about the JD distillery. He said that it was with 25 miles but he didn't really know in what direction.

I pulled over and dug out my phone. "ok google, Jack Daniels Distillery" "here it is, you are 3 miles away." How about that? Asked dad if he wanted to go and he said "sure if you want to." I said "I don't have anywhere else to be today"

I hit navigate on the phone and it kept us on the TAT until we were almost there. Actually the distillery is less than a mile off of the TAT. I never knew that. We pulled in and parked the bikes in the motorcycle lot. Turns out that this year is the 150 year anniversary for JD. We decided to take a tour. 1.5 hours I think. They have several different tours to choose from. We just picked the one that was leaving next. I'm not a big whiskey drinker but it was still an interesting place to see.
    PA030026.JPG
    PA030027.JPG
    PA030028.JPG
    PA030029.JPG
  20. MikeIreland

Oddometer: