1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Father/Son TAT Trip 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MikeIreland, Nov 28, 2016.

1. MikeIreland

MikeIreland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great views around here! The terrain is little more technical on the BDR than it is on the TAT.
    P6180213.JPG P6180222.JPG

The KLR decided to make a right here instead of a left.

P6180225.JPG

This hill was steep and loose!

P6180228.JPG
    joenuclear likes this.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Just about my favorite place in the world...thanks.
  3. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    This is what we found at the top! We took a break here. This would have been a good time to stop for the day but we were far away from anything.
    P6180231.JPG
    P6180234.JPG P6180238.JPG P6180247.JPG
    joenuclear and KLRalph like this.
  4. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    These canyons were amazing! One of the best parts of the entire trip!

P6180249.JPG
    P6180251.JPG

Once we got out of the canyons we stopped to try and figure where to stay for the night. There was a town North of here up by I70 so we decided to ride up there and check it out.

P6180261.JPG

When we got to the town this was pretty much all that was there (not kidding).

P6180266.JPG
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    GPSKevin's waypoint? :jack
    joenuclear likes this.
  6. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    The next closest place was Green River. 40 miles west on I70. 40 miles at 70mph on a 250 at the end of a long hot day sucked! We pulled in to a Super 8 and unloaded the bikes. Some guy on a new V Strom or something yelled at us from across the parking lot saying something like "when you grow you'll get a real bike like this". We just looked at him and walked into the hotel.
    P6180267.JPG
    TaZ9, joenuclear and HardWorkingDog like this.
  7. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely be back. Maybe next year.
  8. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
  9. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Taking the BDR is genius. I'll have to file that one away for my trip.
  10. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    I can't take credit for it. I got the idea from another TAT report. Stay tuned, the idea didn't work out exactly as planned.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  11. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see you working on the RR Mike. Matt and I didn't get to ride anymore after the DS we rode with you. We had a good time then ,we will need to look at this summer.
  12. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. I didn't get to do anymore riding either. I'm planning to go to March Moto Madness again this year if you're interested.
  13. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick question - if someone had all the camping gear with them for rough camping it looks like you could pull off the side of the trail in that valley and set up camp for the night behind a couple of trees.
    If I were on that stretch and found a nice spot I'd be tempted to relax and take a little break, set up camp early and enjoy the scenery - is there any reason not to do something like that if there were no time constraints?
  14. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Camping would have been a good option that day but we didn't have enough water with us. We filled up with water before leaving Moab but had drank most of it by the end of the day. It was hot. We didn't have enough left for cooking or drinking that night.

There were zero places to stop between Moab and I70. I don't think we even saw another person or building on that stretch which was fine but we didn't really plan for It on this day.

Riding the BDR was kind of a last minute thing. I didn't have the maps that showed detailed gas/food stops. Just the GPS track. If I would have planned better and knew that we would possibly have to cowboy camp we would have bought extra water in Moab. I also made some navigational errors that put us behind that day. It all worked out fine in the end. The only bad part really was that stretch of interstate at the end.
  15. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Day 17
    Green River, UT to Heber City, UT
    227 miles

We got up and had breakfast at the Super 8 then jumped back on the UTBDR.

P6190268.JPG P6190269.JPG
    P6190271.JPG

We soon found ourselves in some deep sand. Neither of us had much experience riding in this stuff.

P6190277.JPG

The sun was already hot and we were hoping to get up in some elevation soon. Unfortunately we didn't. It was just more sand. We finally came to a road that was actually marked on our Utah road map and thought we would get a break from the sand. Wrong! This road had the deepest sand yet! I didn't get and pics of it though. We quickly started to second guess our decision to ride the UTBDR. It's a lot more technical than the TAT which is fine but at this rate we weren't going to make it to the Oregon Coast in time (I only had two weeks off work). Again, bad planning on my part.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  16. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    P6190286.JPG

This boulder was huge!

P6190301.JPG P6190303.JPG P6190310.JPG
    i4bikes, Critic and joenuclear like this.
  17. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    We found some shade here and took a break. After looking at that map and GPS we realized that we were making ever worse time than we thought. We were only about 85 miles (by paved roads) from the 3 Step Hide Away where we had started two days ago. We were going to have to ditch the UTBDR and make our own route North West towards Idaho and get back on the TAT. The BDR was beautiful and I plan to go back and ride the entire track someday. We just didn't have time on this trip.

P6190314.JPG P6190318.JPG P6190328.JPG

We kept riding until we came to a paved road that we followed to a small town where we gassed up and had lunch at Subway. While eating we plotted our new route on the paper map. We both love mountains and decided that we would try to ride over as may passes as possible on the way to Idaho.

After lunch we rode thru Nine Mile Canyon. It wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. Maybe we missed a turn? Nothing like the canyons we saw the day before.

P6190329.JPG
  18. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    P6190343.JPG

We were on paved roads for the rest of the day. Still beautiful though.

P6190359.JPG

Somewhere around here we started looking for campgrounds. We pulled in to a couple but they were closed. The road was nice so we just kept riding.

P6190363.JPG P6190365.JPG

Eventually we ended up in Heber City, UT and got a room at Mac's Motel. That's all for today. (Forgot to get a pic of the GPS stats today sorry.)
    joenuclear, SOLOKLR and i4bikes like this.
  19. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Well hell, I guess we won't be jumping on the BDR. HAHA!!
    MikeIreland likes this.
  20. MikeIreland

Oddometer:
    Day 18
    Heber City, UT to Downey, ID
    226 miles

Nothing to exciting today. Mostly just riding on paved roads trying to get back to the TAT. We woke up, loaded the bikes, and walked to a restaurant down the street from the motel and had breakfast.

Mac's Motel
    P6200370.JPG

Headed for the mountains to ride over Guardsman Pass which took us east towards Salt Lake City.

P6200372.JPG P6200392.JPG

When we got close to the city we had to jump on the interstate for a few miles so we could get on 65 and ride over Big Mountain Pass. Nice view up there! We chatted with a mountain biker for a while who offered to take our picture. He had just rode to the top of the pass on the road and was going to ride back to the bottom on a dirt trail. Sounds fun!

P6200409.JPG
    joenuclear and Proud Highway like this.