Fault in the Engine Control -GSA1250, I’m in Inuvik...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by VETJET, Jun 13, 2019.

1. VETJET

VETJET Saved My Ass in 2018, Pun Fully Intended! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m riding my 2019 GSA1250.

The “Fault in the engine Control” message just annunciated and I’m a 1,000 miles from a dealer as I’m in Inuvik on the Dempster...

The bike appears to be running and functioning normal although when I started it this morning it momentarily died during start. I attributed it to the fact that I tend to release the start button too quickly and that it was 40 degrees outside... However the fault didn’t display itself until this afternoon after I had a rear tire puncture.

I rode through alot of mud today and the indication came on after about five minutes of repairing the rear tire with a plug. Had it on the center stand, removed the panniers, and the seat.

I don’t have a diagnostic tool, I assume it’s ok to ride because it states to ride it to the nearest dealer and it doesn’t seem to be in any type of limp mode, but I’m going to need to ride it a 1,000 miles...

Any suggestions???

Thank you...
    9DC8A9B5-5DD9-4BBA-A94A-434D18764A48.jpeg
  2. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Without a GS911 or dealer computer I don't think there is anyway to know what the fault is. Given your location I would be tempted to remove the power to the battery overnight and see what it says in the AM, if its a stored code the error will still be there but if its a transient code it might go away.
    Candubrain likes this.
  3. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    My 2018 R1200GS has been intermittently showing the same error. Seeing the dealer next week. Good luck!
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be my concern, too, and I'd ride it as is to the nearest dealership - even 1K mi. Worst case, it's still under warranty.

Taking new toys on a long journey is always a bit of a crap shoot. I've done it myself, several times, and luckily all worked out.

Sorry this befell OP.
  5. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Beta tester blues strike again!
    CrustyAPO and KDXRC51 like this.
  6. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a long shot, and I doubt this is it, but I'd double check the connections under the seat in case something got bumped loose while the seat was off and the overnight reset that was suggested as well.
    side-burn likes this.
  7. jogo

jogo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't help the slightest bit unfortunately. Just wanted to say that I hope your bike will keep working and your journey does not get spoiled.

All the best!
    side-burn likes this.
  8. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say, given the advice from the TFT, it's safe to ride, just make a stop at the next possible moment. What was said already is about the best advice.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod Just ride it until you get to the dealer. It is likely just a temporary fault anyhow. If you want, disconnect the neg battery lead for a minute and reattach, but either way, no harm.
    MGV8 and Fosters like this.
  10. Dukegr

Dukegr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi VetJet, I had the same issue about a week ago with my GS 1250 around 950km.
    I was close for the 1000 km oil service so driving to the shop wasn't a big fuss.
    Like you if it wasn't for the message I wouldn't have noticed anything out of the ordinary.
    Diagnostic indicated the fuel pump but after inspection there was no apparent fault with it. Probably contaminated fuel or something that blocked it momentarily is my guess but because it's a crucial system the message will not disappear from display unless an engineer resets it.
    Have driven 200km since and hasn't come back. (no actual work was done on the bike just reset).
    Hope my experience calms you down and can enjoy your trip till you can get to a dealership for reseting.

Alex
    side-burn likes this.
  11. VETJET

VETJET Saved My Ass in 2018, Pun Fully Intended! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! I made it to Tuktoyaktuk and it hasn’t left me sitting, so hopefully it’s just an anomaly as we are all thinking. Makes me feel better that you are thinking it also, so I’ll just throttle on...
  12. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not try - pulling the enduro pro dongle out and using enduro or road mode and see what happens.......
  13. lexaria

lexaria Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a known issue about 1250GS'19. Diagnostic shows fuel pump fault. The fault continues after the pump change.

The BMW officil answer was "problem in firmware. New one is availible only to november'19. Until that time just don't pay attention to the fault, forget about the problem and continue getting fun with your bike:). Everything is going to be OK. If this fault message makes you nervous put some nontrasparent tape to display and be happy:) As soon as we get new firmware we'll let you know about it" tapatalk_1560578899753.jpg tapatalk_1560578838768.jpg
  14. Mark.Vule

Mark.Vule n00b

Oddometer:
    Had the same thing today. I was riding on the highway and after stopping I saw briefly message appearing on the display. Just for 2 sec and it was gone. Bike has 2200km :-(

(05/2019 1250 gs)
    Fosters likes this.
  15. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whenever I read these sort of posts, I have a flashback to the movie High Fidelity.

Approx. 16-18 sec. into this clip...

16. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HAHAHA :jack
  17. Massabusa

Massabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on making it to ‘Tuk!!!
  18. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    I'm proud my '06 doesn't have such electronic advances.
    Really hope your issue is an anomaly. Happy riding.
    Steve W. likes this.
  19. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    Don't ride a waterhead or you may think again.
    Fosters likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it does. It is just to dumb to tell you it has an issue, but it is OK to ride.
    Scubawerx, ultane, bauerboy and 2 others like this.