Favorite Pavement Recommendations? - Norcal

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by GottaSeeItAll, Jul 11, 2019.

1. GottaSeeItAll

GottaSeeItAll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crossposted from trip planning forum:

Hello!
    Turns out I have a week off starting tomorrow and also just so happened to have a brand new rear tire put on today. I'll be traveling on a SuperDuke 1290R.

I'm living in Oregon for the next 2 months, and have ridden much of the state, except for the southern third. I've ridden most of the coast, most of central , most of NW corner, a good bit of Eastern Oregon.

I've never really ridden Northern California, except for a trip up the coast from San Fran to Fortuna several years back.

I'm looking for recommendations on roads to check out, places to stay, places to eat, things to see. I'm open to camping some nights or hotels/Airbnb if the weather sucks or I need a cold beer and warm bed. What shouldn't I miss? The trip will be between 3 and 5 days depending on how things are going. I have to be back in Portland by the 18th to leave for a non-moto trip to Alaska. I have a Butler map for both Oregon and NorCal

Rough ideas:

Day 1 Portland to either Klamath Falls or Ashland via whatever fun roads I can find. I'll either camp or hotel it.

Day 2 If leaving Klamath,nmaybe head to the lava beds national monument, clear lake and Mammoth? I don't have the Butler map on me, but some roads around there have to be cool. If I depart Ashland on day 2 maybe I'll take I5 south to 96 and ride that all the way west/south to 299 and make the coast?

Day 3 I really want to ride 36 from Fortuna to Red Bluff. Last time I was riding in Norcal I was right there, but didn't have time to ride it. I've heard great things.

Day 4 Lassen Volcanic National Park? 44? 89? 70? Very open to ideas.

Day 5 probably straight shot back to Portland for time sake.

If anyone knows any can't miss spots to ride, stay, eat, drink, meet the locals, etc, please share!!
  2. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    If your going to Lassen, hit Burney Falls. They are 44 minutes apart from the top of the mountain to the falls. It looks like you are somewhere in the South Pacific when you see it. 3 minute hike from the parking lot.

26F7CFE6-622A-48B6-898F-6447D3C3500F.jpeg

Then there is Mossbrae Falls in Dunsmuir (off of I-5). This is a 1.2 mile flat ground hike along some railroad tracks. You would want to read how to get there versus showing up an winging it. But this is the view.

C5FA0912-3575-4160-8939-D528F4E02052.jpeg
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ride past Klamath Lake is not exceptional but for some reason I really like it and have done it several times now.

If you can do 4 in CA (Ebbetts Pass) that’s a fun ride.
  4. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    hwy 3 in NORTHERN CALIFORNIA is pretty great. get your butler map out.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  5. GottaSeeItAll

Oddometer:
    Holy shit, thanks for the tips!! Will definitely check into it. Awesome photos!!!

4 Looks awesome, but I think I'll save that for when I relocate to Sacramento in 2 months. Should be a pretty easy trip from there!

Thanks Hwy 3 looks like a good way to cut back north maybe after I zig zag back and forth east/west for a couple days.
  6. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hwy 36 is great but there is some major construction you need to be aware of.....

SR 36
    [IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
    IS CLOSED FROM 12 MI EAST OF BRIDGEVILLE TO 3.5 MI WEST OF COBB /AT BUCK MOUNTAIN RD/ (HUMBOLDT CO) FROM 0800 HRS TO 1200 HRS MONDAY THRU FRIDAY & FROM 1300 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU THURSDAY & FROM 1300 HRS TO 1500 HRS FRIDAY THRU 10/1/19 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE - THE ROUTE WILL BE OPEN FROM 1200 HRS TO 1300 HRS WITH DELAYS OF UP TO 30 MINUTES

FS1/Titlow Hill Rd/South Fork Mountain Rd that goes approximately between 36 at Mad River and 10 miles west of Willow Creek on 299 is good fun.
    GottaSeeItAll likes this.
  7. GottaSeeItAll

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I was reading the same earlier today. From what I understand, it should be open on Sat/Sun, although I assume there will be some sections that are 1 lane follow the flag truck type thing.
  8. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd take 199 to the coast and down 1/101. That will cut out a few hours in the heat, and I think 199 is more pleasant than 299. Arcata can be an interesting place to stay. Ferndale is a nice little town with a lot of neat restored Victorian houses. Probably a lot of B&Bs now.
  9. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good North-Western California roads.

Hwy 199... but this time of year, slow tour-on** traffic may be heavy.
    Greyback/Indian Valley road from 199 (O'Brian) over to Happy Camp on 96. Great ride.
    Hwy 96 from Whitchipec to Hoopa. 9 miles... Like a GP course, probably want to ride it multiple times.
    Scott River Road... Hwy 96 to Ft. Jones (Hwy 3).
    Salmon River road.* Hwy 96 to Etna and Callahan. IMHO: South Fork going up/North Fork going down.
    South side of Scott Mountain on Hwy 3. (Like a GP course.)
    Hwy 3 (Douglas City/Weaverville) from 299 over to Hwy 36.
    Wildwood Road from Hwy 3 to Hwy 36. Nice ride.
    Hwy 36 from Platina over to Hwy 101. (Road construction weekdays west of Dinsmore.)
    Bridgeville to Garberville via Blocksburg/Alderpoint.
    Mad River road to Garberville.
    Platina Road (A16) from Platina to Ono. (Supermoto road!)
    FS1 from South Fork Summit to Hwy 299 (Berry Summit) *
    Bald Hills road from Hwy 96 to Hwy 101 (Orick).
    Avenue of Giants... nice road, but lotsa' tour-ons ** in the summer.
    Hwy 1 from Leggett to Ft. Bragg.
    Hwy 128 from Hwy 1 to Hwy 101.
    Hwy 175 from Hopland to Clear Lake.
    Branscomb Road from Laytonville to Hwy 1 *.

* = Narrow roads, be careful.
    ** Touron - Cross between a tourist and moron.
    Davethestick and GottaSeeItAll like this.
  10. GottaSeeItAll

Oddometer:
    Whoa! Thanks for all that!! I'm gonna have to sit down with the map for a bit to absorb all that. Very much appreciated!
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sign me the fuck up