FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    FYI: Just past Mabry Mill, but before you get to Chateau Morrissette, is the Woodberry Inn, about a quarter-mile off the Parkway on the east side. You can't see the Woodberry from the Parkway, and they can't place any signs on the Parkway to catch peeps riding/driving by, so a lot of folks don't even know the place is there. Decent food, casual setting, rider-friendly, lakeside lodging, pool tables, and full bar (VERY unusual in these parts........Baptists.......)

Woodberry Inn
    182 Woodberry Rd SW
    Meadows Of Dan, VA 24120
    (540) 593-2567
    http://www.woodberryinn.com/

Thanks, and ride safe.
    Hughlysses likes this.
  2. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  3. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad y'all made it through relatively unscathed. I talked with a fellow from Wilmington today who was at our hospital attending to his ailing father. He said he had no idea of the status of his home to which I offered my condolences. He replied, "it's not my home I'm worried about".
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  4. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    Hey Ferris, Looks like you and I ride many of the same roads on an off the mountain. Similar bike too, mine is an '07 Heritage. So, whats your favorite road to get up/down the mountian toward Mt. Airy area? I find Orchard Gap Rd very appealing. I like Piper's gap too but its not exactly Softail-friendly. Its more fit for the 250 dual sport that lives at my house.

I am just north of Pilot Mtn (the mountain) and a little west of Pilot Mtn (the town).

The wife and I are in the early planning stages of a long parkway trip. Would love to do it during leaf season but so does EVERBODY else. If I can't get it started before the leaves start to change then maybe late-spring will be a better option. I have two daughters at WCU and one of them has a 12-month lease appt that I am paying for. I just gotta find a few places to sleep in-between.
  5. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ferris,
    Glad to see you fared ok. I'm on the road for work this week, homestead did fine other than a pine that fell from the neighbors-trailer side- and went right through the middle of Heathers wash line. We broke a strand in the spring, suppose they all need replaced now. Good time to fire up dad's 1960s Sthil and cut that up when I'm home.

Rain gage was a 5" when I left at 4 am, the fam and Zoe were able to play outside tonight but it's a bit muddy. Could have been worse for us all and my heart goes out to those on the coast

Prior
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yesterday morning, as Good Neighbor Jim and I bucked up all the downed trees into manageable chunks, Good Neighbor Blanche tossed the resultant pieces, limbs, etc. out of the roadway.

When we got done processing everything, the remaining "stump" of this particular tree (this is the one that was initially hung up in some other trees and hanging out over the road) caught my eye:

[​IMG]

I said to GN Blanche, "I'll be disappointed if you don't come out later with a sharpie and draw some sort of face on that thing!"

So earlier today, during my morning walk-about, I had to laugh when I encountered this monster lurking in the brush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bravo, Good Neighbor Blanche, well done! :clap
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Howdy neighbor!

So here's a great way to spend a day in the wind up here:

- Ride down the mountain on Pipers Gap Rd (my wife and I call this the Go-Kart Trail)
    - Just past (under) I-77 and Loves truck stop hang a left on Flower Gap, will eventually bring you out to 52 at the base of the mountain below Fancy Gap
    - Left and climb the mountain on 52 to Fancy Gap (food, fuel)
    - Right/north on Parkway, then right and down the mountain again on Orchard Gap
    - Left on Old Dominion>Orchard View, then left and climb the mountain again on Willis Gap
    - Right/north on Parkway, then right and down the mountain again on Squirrel Spur (I bet you've ridden SS before, but just in case, about halfway down is a sneaky, NASTY decreasing-radius corner to the right; CAREFUL!)
    - Left at junction with Ararat Hwy/773, then left in Claudville (pop. 1) at junction with Claudville Hwy/103
    - Quick left on Little Dan River Rd>Dobyns, follow all the way to Stuart (food/fuel)
    - Climb the mountain again, this time on 58/JEB Stuart Hwy, to Meadows of Dan (food, fuel)
    - Right/north on Parkway, past (and perhaps stop at) Mabry Mill/Woodberry Inn/Chateau Morrisette/Villa Appalachia
    - Right and down the mountain again at junction of Woolwine Hwy/Tuggles Gap/8 (food, fuel)
    - Left in Woolwine at junction of Charity Hwy/40 (careful, some gnarly decreasing-radius corners initially, will tie your Heritage into knots)
    - Left and climb the mountain again on Shooting Creek Rd (be careful for downhill traffic ((although there's never very much)) cheating on corners)
    - Right/north on Parkway, then right and down the mountain again on Franklin Pike>Five Mile Mountain Rd
    - Left and climb the mountain again on Callaway Rd
    - Callaway will bring you back to the Parkway at Adney Gap (about 15 miles south of Roanoke) at apx. MM 135
    - South on Parkway, back toward Rocky Knob/Mabry Mill/Meadows of Dan/Pilot Mtn, etc.

You're welcome. :)
    MYUMPH and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  8. BigOleSingle

Oddometer:
    I have gone up Squirrels Spur on a trip to Mabry Mill/Lover's Leap (trip of any length at all with the wife). We came back down Orchard Gap. The Grandparents had a camper on Smith Mtn Lake and Claudville, Stuart and 58 are pretty familiar to me. Most everything after that in your proposed ride plan seems like it may be new to me.

Not too long ago I returned home from Roanoke (in a car) and ended up on what would be a nice MC ride. After looking at a map, I think it may have been 221 but I was just making the turns that the GPS said were best. After studying the map a little, I think SW Va may be more loaded with nice roads than NW NC.

I will be looking out for some the unknown-to-me roads that you mentioned.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    BigOleSingle:

[​IMG]

^ Source: https://jaggededgeva.com/

Click on "THE LOOPS" link on their site for a drop-down menu of the loops listed above, including a synopsis of each ride, individual maps and pertinent Blue Ridge Parkway mileposts. The individual maps are clickable and will open in an interactive format in Google Maps.

Ride to lean,
    Ferris
    MYUMPH likes this.
  10. BigOleSingle

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Bookmarked and bucket-listed
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, I never did really answer your question the other day! :)

Depends on my mood, I guess. Pipers Gap brings me up to the Parkway just a few minutes from my house, and is a pretty dramatic climb right up the side of the mountain. Lots of fun, but slow and easy on our Softails.

Hwy 52 up the mountain to Fancy Gap from Cana always works well - smooth pavement and two uphill lanes.

Orchard Gap and Willis Gap are both mighty sweet. In fact, the entire ride from Mayberry (Mount Airy) up to the Parkway at Orchard Gap is pretty special.

And, believe it or not, sometimes to close out a day in the wind, if I find myself heading home from your general direction I'll climb on I-77 in Lambsburg (exit #1) and blast up the mountain amongst all the cages and big-rigs just for the mental workout.

So many roads, so little time. :)
    tastroman likes this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    BigOleSingle, here's a video I shot back in 2011 riding down Shooting Creek Road on my '06 Road King. I shot this with my left hand, while navigating with my right, hence the seasickness-inducing video quality. :D

Anyway, SCR is a lot of fun, either downhill or up.

Right at the end of the video I'm slowing as I approach the junction with Charity Hwy/40. A left turn here will point you toward Ferrum, a right turn will point you toward Woolwine.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Good times at Rap's Orchard Gap (back when they were still open for business). Phonic 45 was playing that day and just as they finished their gig I slipped 'em a $20 and asked for one more song, anything by SRV, their choice.

They had just played for four hours and were pretty well wupped from the heat and humidity, but enthusiastically honored our request. Chip ad-libbed the Star Spangled Banner (nice touch), and then shredded some serious ass on "Pride and Joy." I ended up parking my earhole right in front of his speakers (I may have had one or two beers at this point...) to get the full effect. :drink

Sure wish someone would buy this place and return it to its former glory; business opportunities on the Blue Ridge Parkway don't come up very often:

14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Denise is putting her 250 Ninja up for sale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a 2007 model with 5214 miles. In excellent condition, runs great, new tires, chain, etc. I'll link to a full listing a little later tonight.

Finders fee. :-)
    bobw and KHVol like this.
  15. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks very clean and having seen your bikes I would expect nothing less.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I was all excited yesterday afternoon because I was going to post up some "Baby's got new shoes!" pix - the Heritage is in the process of getting new meats (Michelin Commander II's).

The front tire went fine and the wheel and tire are back on the bike, but when I got the rear tire seated it was leaking air around the base of the valve stem. Grrrrr!!!

I pulled the tube and stuck it in the bathtub, and sure enough, the tiniest little pinhole. Grrrrr!!!

So: Baby's got new shoe! Here's a pic of the rear wheel and tire, waiting for a new tube to arrive via the brown truck:

[​IMG]

I haven't ridden since May, and it's exciting to think I'll be back in the wind soon. Just in time for fall colors!
    bobw likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Putting the Heritage on the back burner freed me up to get after all the limb litter that Florence brought down. Between yesterday and today I ended up with five or six wheelbarrow loads, plus some bigger stuff I humped up the hill by hand:

[​IMG]

Perfect conditions for burning: Wet, foggy and calm.
    bobw likes this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    This ol' dump looks pretty cool in the fog:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1stgenfarmboy and bobw like this.