FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    That rear hub/spokes looks like new.....not fair!!!!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! :D

One of the advantages of doing my own tires is the ability to detail the wheels in the process. The front spokes took a beating during our trip out west last summer, specifically, the time we spent riding on the southern Oregon coast. The wind is constantly blowing in off the ocean, and the air is incredibly salt-laden. The spokes ended up pretty badly oxidized.

Here's a look at the front wheel when I was done detailing and polishing, before I mounted up the new tire:

[​IMG]

I reached what I could reach with my orbital buffer; if you look close at the backside of the spokes you can still see some crud, but mounted up on the bike and viewing at a normal distance you don't see this stuff.

I also buff the inner and outer faces and the outer lip of the rotors. It's not really a mirror-polish, more of a thorough burnish, but ends up looking pretty good IMO:

[​IMG]
    bobw likes this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Here's a look at the rear rotor:

[​IMG]

The rotors hold this shine very well over the long haul.

Most of the visible hardware on my bike is polished stainless steel. Here's the set of s/s rear rotor bolts:

[​IMG]

The second bolt from the bottom is reflecting the lettering on my "Grand Canyon Railway" t-shirt. :D
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good times at the time, equally good memories.
  5. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Good stuff FF. I know how that salt is. My chopper spent the first 3 years of its life within 10 miles of the ocean. All the cheap chrome is pitted. I even respoked the wheels, and one vacation trip to the beach destroyed them again. Ugh.
    bobw and Fast Ferris like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    The new tube is in and holding air, and the rotor and pulley are hung:

[​IMG]

Next stop: static balancer! :D
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  7. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any chance you are headed down for some late model action today?
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim:

D's been out in Cali for the past month helping care for her elderly folks; I picked her up at GSO late last night. Yesterday was spent de-bachelorizing the house in preparation for her return, and today we've gotten to know each other all over again.

Thanks for the ping, hope y'all had a great time at the races!

XXOO,
    FBAD :):)
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We're back. :ricky
    VmaxChuck, bobw, pike and 3 others like this.
  10. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    When I saw that you were close to me and we ride similar bikes I thought that we may ride together at some point. But, after seeing how clean you keep yours, there is no way I want to park mine close to that :)
    BuckeyeDoug, bobw and Fast Ferris like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    It's so clean because yesterday was the first time I've ridden in five months! :)

Felt GREAT to get back in the wind again. It was a little chilly up here on the mountain, but down below - basically aimed your direction - was just about perfect. I had to take her in for the annual Virginia state inspection (which was due back in May; that's how long I've been out of action), and the guy at the shop (my first visit to this particular establishment) says, "Did you buy your bike like that, or did you pay someone to build it that way?"

Interesting options, I thought.

"None of the above," I replied, "this is all MY fault!" :D

I think I've finally got my bike - and me - back together just in time for the season to end, but hoping to sneak in a couple more before it gets too gnarly.
    tastroman and bobw like this.
  12. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought about getting a ride in today but the wind and cool temps kept me on the couch:(
  13. GOSTAZ

GOSTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was on the BRP yesterday. The leaves haven't changed yet. I felt like a wuss, but I turned on the heated grips a few times!
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    The weather guessers were predicting up to 50-mph wind gusts up here yesterday, and temps overnight down into the 20's.

After some yard chores, draining garden hoses, bringing in some more firewood, etc., and checking off the next step in completing an oil and filter change on the Heritage, I retired to my couch and cranked up some NASCAR. :D
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I don't have heated grips, but do have a heated jacket and gloves, and I'm not all afraid to use them! :D

We're finally beginning to see a little color change here in SW VA, as a result of the colder overnight temps that have set in since Hurricane/Tropical Storm Michael blew through. I would imagine that at elevation - up on Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchell, for example - the colors should be popping very soon.

Any pix from your ride? :)
    bobw likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I pulled a Ferris Bueller yesterday and spent the day in the wind, 225 miles, most of it on the Parkway. Cold, but pretty. The colors this year seem muted; perhaps they'll yet pop. Riding along the spine of the Appalachians it smells like, well, fall. It's a glorious aroma - fresh, fragrant, full of anticipation; if you could capture it in a Hallmark card, you'd sell a million of 'em. Coffee in Blowing Rock, then a lap of Grandfather Mountain and the twisties between Banner Elk and Valle Crucis. I promised Denise I'd be home by 6:30; I pulled in the driveway at 6:34.

Yesterday, on more than one occasion, I felt like the luckiest man alive.

Here are some pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warming up in the morning sun next to the Blue Ridge Music Center.
    SparkyL, 1stgenfarmboy, bobw and 2 others like this.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overlooking the North Carolina piedmont, Pilot Mountain in the distance.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Gratuitous.
    SparkyL, 1stgenfarmboy, bobw and 2 others like this.
  19. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    I got out for 220 miles yesterday up in TN. Was working on my retirement (buying lottery tickets). Should have gone to SC to buy them...

The air was crisp and clear, with all the aromas of fall (including cow pastures). Unfortunately my ride is dirty, not worthy of pictures. Your baby looks great. Glad you're back in the wind.
    bobw, Shekinahglori and Fast Ferris like this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Good for you for getting out! Got any pix to share? (Hey, this is ADV, our bikes are supposed to be dirty! :D)

Thanks for your post - it's great to be back.
    Shekinahglori likes this.