FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looking up at Grandfather Mountain.

[​IMG]

The Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, North Carolina.

"In late 1986 and early 1987, two articles helped even more people meander our Broadstone Road. In November, Southern Living ran a short story about Howard Mast, the Mast Store, and the Mast Farm Inn. In mid December and early January, travel journalist Charles Kuralt began his syndicated column with… "Where should I send you to know the Soul of the South? I think I'll send you to the Mast General Store." Running in papers across the country, tourists wanting to slow down came from every nook and cranny you can think of, and all were carrying a copy of Kuralt's article."

^ Source: https://www.mastgeneralstore.com/cms/index.cfm/history/the-rest-of-the-story/
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Old Saddle Mountain Baptist Church, just off the Parkway a little south of the VA/NC border. Love the lighting.

[​IMG]

The view directly behind me while photographing the church; that's the Parkway you can see arcing away behind the trees.
  3. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see you in the wind. I've followed your thread for years. You have a great writing style, and I love your part of the world. I'm not wishing time away, but I long for the day I have more of it to explore Appalachia outside of my normal haunts.
  4. LeadDoggy

LeadDoggy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saw you cruise by Tuesday morning between NC Hwy 16 and US421 prior to noon. I live off the Parkway @MP268 (Park Vista Inn and Restraunt) and love riding the along the Parkway. Yes the colors this year are somewhat washed and maybe the will POP in a week or two. Hit me up for ride in the future!
  5. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures as usual so thanks for sharing. Thought I'd pass along the new addition to my stable. Does the one thing well that my scooters have always suffered doing and that's getting down dirt and gravel roads. Reviews say the weakness is it's a bit slow but I made that deal with the devil when I started riding scooters so it's a wash for me. It's actually slower than my Piaggio but handles rough roads like a champ. So far it's really agreeing with me.

[​IMG]102418 by tastroman, on Flickr

[​IMG]102418_3_2 by tastroman, on Flickr
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    You saw me ride by? Wild! I actually came back by your place much later in the day, as well - from Valle Crucis I rode through Boone and climbed back on the Parkway northbound at the junction with 421. Not many people doing the Parkway that time of day; very nice. Next time I'm down that way I'll stop in!
    Extremenc likes this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Thanks, TMan. :)

Awesome wheels, looks PERFECT for the kind of riding you like to do! Brandy-new?
    Extremenc likes this.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I stopped to photograph the sunset near Pipers Gap, and snagged this photo as an added bonus:

[​IMG]

I've always wondered what it would be like to be tall............................

Last pic:

[​IMG]
  9. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the odometer is sitting at 84 miles after tonight's ride. I'm not supposed to take it over 40mph for the 1st 400 miles for proper break in per the owners manual. Thank god my old Buell didn't have that restriction as temptation would have gotten the best of me. I think I've hit 50mph a couple times just to avoid getting run over.
  10. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you back out riding and posting pics - I really look forward to this thread! Thanks

I took a ride up Rt 7 through CT along the Housatonic River up towards MA and our Fall here in NY and CT is just as muted this year. Very odd, the leaves are kind of browning around the edges and falling without ever changing color the way we normally see them...
    Extremenc and Fast Ferris like this.
  11. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    3F0AF342-BAF6-4FED-8425-BD658077EE98.jpeg 89F0E38F-AB99-4119-8905-8A546EB08084.jpeg
    Extremenc, bobw, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  12. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    Did you ride down piper's gap? The last time I was riding that way I went up Squirrel spur, came down hwy52 and was going to circle around and go back up Orchard gap. I got mixed up/semi-lost and ended up back on 52 so I rode back up. Then I was planning to ride down Piper's but they had just tar-ed and graveled it. I hate that surface treatment even when I am not on a bike. I went on down to Low gap and came home on 98, not a great road but not pea gravel that act like ball bearings.

BTW, on another trip I came down Squirrels spur and I get what you mean about those decreasing radius turns. Had a couple of less-than-smooth corners.

Would have been an awesome day to ride today,, no work. But my water heater had other plans. Not only was it less fun than a ride, it was also MUCH more expensive.
    Extremenc likes this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Gracias, amigo. :)

Great pix, gorgeous machine, thanks for posting!
    Extremenc likes this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    No, I didn't ride up or down Pipers Gap this time around, but I know what you mean about the frikkin' ball bearings. There's a backroad into Blowing Rock that I wanted to take on Tuesday, but it had ultra-fresh tar and gravel on it so I turned around and came in another way. Whoever approves this crap at the county/state level should be forced to ride shotgun on a motorcycle and experience first-hand what it feels like - unpleasant at best, dangerous at worst.

That one corner, in particular, is nasty. If you ever stop at that wide spot and walk over and look on the downhill side of the guardrail, there's bits and pieces of crashed motorcycles littering the ground. I stopped one time to assist a rider who had blown the corner, biffed the guardrail and was trying to piece his bike back together enough to get home (Greensboro), and while I was stopped another rider came down the hill, blew the corner and sideswiped my Road King while trying to get stopped!

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Extremenc likes this.
  15. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:

You are pretty dang lucky my friend.
    Extremenc and Fast Ferris like this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Some pix from today's ride - 255 miles, mostly Parkway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fall colors still seem muted along the Parkway this year, but I liked the lighting and composition here enough to stop and stretch my legs.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    tjzondrz, bobw and MYUMPH like this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Price Lake, part of Julian Price Memorial Park, just south of Blowing Rock, North Carolina. I spent about an hour sitting along the shoreline, basking in nature's bounty. Pretty. Peaceful.

The bridge visible in the distance is the Parkway, which goes over the dam that creates the lake.
    bobw and tastroman like this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A small portion of W. Kerr Scott Reservoir, near Wilkesboro, North Carolina. It's late in the day and the lighting is all wrong, but I still like the photo.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Pirate's Landing Restaurant - Elkin, North Carolina; this is my last photo on the day.

I've always wanted to stop and photograph this place, which is located at the junction of Hwy. 268 and Interstate 77. This pic was taken during the final seconds of a cloud-filtered sunset, which provided the perfect lighting for the occasion.