FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I was the guy in that boat
    bobw likes this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking at the time! :D
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I snuck out for a quick 115-mile ride today. This was taken on the Parkway between the FloydFest grounds and Chateau Morrissette, a few miles south of Rocky Knob:

[​IMG]
    Bartimus, bobw and tastroman like this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Another one from yesterday's ride:

[​IMG]
    tastroman, BuckeyeDoug, bobw and 2 others like this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I logged 265 glorious miles today, in what may be the last ride of the season - there's snow and 20-degree temps in our forecast; "fall" will soon be "fell."

Today, however, was sunny and high 60s/low 70s up here in the mountains; remarkable.

Being a weekday the traffic was light (the occasional fellow rider, mostly), and I took my time and made sure to stop and smell the proverbial roses.

[​IMG]

^ Wolf Creek Golf & Country Club in Bastian, Virginia. WCG&CC is located on twisty Grapefield Road, which has a sign posted at the beginning warning off truckers and RVs. Nice touch, and righteous advice.

[​IMG]

^ The road depicted on my GPS above is so sweet I vowed long ago never to publicly divulge its name or location, to help keep out the riff raff. It climbs then descends not one, not two, but three mountains, writhing all the way. I *think* this is the first time I've ridden it in the fall. Didn't suck.

[​IMG]

^ I sat a spell and honed my zen at Hungry Mother State Park, just outside Marion, Virginia. Pretty. Peaceful.

Before I got home I stopped in town and filled up with non-ethanol high test, and dumped a couple ounces of Sta-Bil in the tank; this may be my last ADVenture for a while. Between chores on the homefront this summer, and then a couple months of being considerably under the weather, my riding season has been atypical to the extreme, but I've made up for a bunch of lost time here in the past several weeks.

Ride to lean, lean to ride.
  6. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So. Where is that road?

Nevermind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    bobw and Fast Ferris like this.
  7. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems your riding season fits the definition of, "short but sweet".
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  8. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    I was looking forward to only a 1/2 day of work yesterday and was on schedule to be finished by 12. But another customer called and he has been too good to say no to. So, I rode to his place. I usually can't ride to my jobs because I need tools, but this was more of an advice visit. Was able to ride hwy 66 around Sauratown Mtn both ways. Its a good ride for a road that doesn't travel toward the BRP. Finished that job and came back to pickup the wife and we did another 60 mile or so of less exciting roads around Mt. Airy.

I've ridden 16 in a previous MC life but its a long ride to get there. I met up with a small group of sport bike riders back in ~03.

I am considering pulling out my snow ski gear and see if it is comfortable for MC-ing. I haven't skied in several yrs so it needs to find a new use anyway. Otherwise, my season may be nearing its end too.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  9. MinglewoodNC

MinglewoodNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aw c'mon Fbad! Give those folks who ain't from around here a break! Hell, the tourism board folks around here even put out brochures touting it. Plus, as we who ride it know, when you ride it for the first time you'd better be sharp and careful as it can bite you hard! (take note of this newbs!) It's a great road, but only one of many around here, and many of the others are more rewarding and certainly don't require the same level of intense concentration to ride swiftly.

I'll not break Fbad's vow for him on his thread, BUT here's a hint inquiring minds -*- note the number on the road in Fbad's gps pic. -*-
    bobw and Fast Ferris like this.
  10. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google Earth is a wonderful tool.
    Fast Ferris and BuckeyeDoug like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, definitely short, but I've made 'em count! :)
  12. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Or start dressing like this.......'Tis the Season
    upload_2018-11-8_16-48-18.jpeg
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I like 66 a lot. I also like to make a giant loop around Hanging Rock. Pretty country.

I found 16 pretty much by accident the first time; as motorcycle roads go, I consider it a crown jewel. Yesterday was gorgeous with the fall colors, and the temps were warm, and traffic was pretty much non-existent. There were plenty of corners, however, layered with wet leaves.

I've been using my heated gear (Gerbing jacket and gloves), makes ALL the difference!
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was a pretty blatant giveaway! :D

It's got a catchy "dragon" name these days, t-shirts, visitor centers, web site and all the rest of the crap that seems to pull in the "I conquered" types, but still seems to be pretty much undiscovered. Helps that it's so far off the beaten path. Pretty unique, IMO, in that it climbs up and over three different mountains in its course.
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I made it pretty easy for you, but...please keep the identity our little secret. ;)
  16. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I was out riding with a friend today up north near the Mass Border and at a fuel, bio break and rest stop to chug coffee and try to warm up - we started talking about next years trips. When would be a good time to ride Skyline and the BRP once Spring comes around again?
    And - Thanks for this thread!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  17. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a little black book of roads to ride from all you local guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Fast Ferris and BuckeyeDoug like this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    May is typically pretty sweet, warming days and usually no humidity to speak of, colors bright and fresh, and traffic generally light.

:thumb
  19. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We’re trying to figure out a window we can fit it into and May might work, we’re both pretty tied up in June with Americade and a couple of Club get togethers in different states.
    I’m thinking July might be too warm and rainy.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, July can get pretty steamy down here, in part because of the thunderstorms that seem to blow up out of nowhere every afternoon.

Early May can be hit or miss - we've gotten hard freezes as late as mid May - but the latter part of May is *usually* pretty nice, and the Parkway typically opens for business, so to speak, about this time, in preparation for Memorial Day Weekend.
    Firenailer likes this.