FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is getting ready to head out this morning, after four days of spring cleaning, buffing, etc. (yes, Mitzi, even a toothbrush :D)
    andredl, Dnutz and RedUly like this.
  2. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Betting Jim, Mitzi and company had a grand ride - with Ferris showing the way who doesn't ? ;)
    Yep, SO looking forward to getting out of California and back home! Looking forward to meeting Mitzi and seeing Jim again. :D
    Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  3. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is an unnatural lack of dirt on every vehicle visible in that picture.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Gulity as charged. :D

That's Denise's truck in the background, '98 GMC Sierra, all original including paint:

[​IMG]
  5. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But Baby (my GMy) didn't look like that when we got it - SOMEBODY spent many a day cleaning, buffing, polishing... to make it brandy new again. AND might I add, just like every other vehicle in the fleet. :) Thank you, Sweetie, you are the best!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  6. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a 21 year old truck?
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Affirmative.

My Harley is 15 years old (2004).
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I had big plans to crank out a high-mile day. Really didn't care to where, just wanted to get out of Dodge, so to speak, and spend the day ADVenturing. But, it rained during the night and was sloppy and gloomy when I got up. However, the sun came out and quickly dried things up, and the temps rapidly climbed.

I ended up spending the bulk of the day in the wind, after all, but about as quickly as the sun came out it got all grumpy looking again, so I logged about 150 miles on the day but was never more than about 35 or 40 minutes from home. No worries, riding is riding, and I can make a trip to the post office an adventure.

On the outskirts of Mount Airy, somewhere kinda midway between Mayberry and Ararat, as I motored through the countryside enjoying the rich aroma of early-springtime agriculture in the northwest North Carolina piedmont, I stumbled into a gigantic farm auction, an estate sale for the late Ralph Griffith I soon discovered. If you were in the market for a tractor (and plenty of people were), either for work or for show (there were dozens on display), this was the place to be.

I hung around for a while, partly because there are worse places to be than soaking up the sun in the middle of a working farm surrounded by honest people who toil in the dirt with their hands.

One lot in particular caught my eye, a 1930 Ford Model A. Cute little rig - butternut yellow and black, rumble seat, an older restoration but fully functional - that anyone would be proud to call their own. The auctioneer said it was a movie car, as well. By and by it gaveled for $9000, which seemed like a steal.

[​IMG]

I did some research last night when I got home and the movie is entitled "The Longest Ride," released in 2015 and filmed entirely in North Carolina if I've got my facts in a row. The Model A appeared as a "background vehicle" in a scene, according to the Internet Movie Cars Database:

[​IMG]

As the auction progressed and the crowd moved down the line, I checked out the Model A up close again. $9k? Heck yeah, all day long.

As I was standing there a well-dressed lady came up, peered in the windows, and then smiled at me and said this was her uncle's car. Ah. Her uncle would be the late Mr. Griffith.

"She's a beauty," I said. The lady said he was quite proud of it, and even right up to the time of his passing would drive it every chance he got, to family reunions and the like.

Although this lady wore a warm smile to go along with her kind face and gentle southern manner, I could tell she was hurting a bit inside.

Partly over the loss of her uncle, of course - my take is that he was quite a man.

And partly having to say goodbye, again, to another beloved member of her family.
  9. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a steal at 9K! What’re you using on that bike? It looks amazing!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  10. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    You were less than a mile from my house (well, a little over a mile by road). I had considered going to that auction when the signs started showing, but I am stuck in southern Indiana.

Next time you go exploring in the general area, look for Haystack road, near 89 and 77 interchange. My wife and I stumbled onto it during last weekend's ride. We went looking for Kapp's mill waterfall and found where it used to be but recent flooding has taken it out. We continued until we got lost then found Haystack. Now I think I gotta go back and see the other end.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Agree. Wish I'd been flush enough to bid on her.

Thanks. I've been asked before on this thread to type up a detailing tutorial of sorts. I considered it at the time, but quickly realized I'd end up writing a book before I was done.

Give me a day or two to recover from this weekend and I'll bang out a few words and include a couple of photos. All in all it's pretty easy, really (a lot harder to explain than to actually do), and I enjoy the process.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Haystack sounds very familar. Thanks for the heads up.

I was down your way again today. Took 89 from Mount Airy down to Horseshoe Road in Francisco, Horseshoe to Frye, to Dan George, to Moore's Spring. Stopped at the Hanging Rock General Store and grabbed a sammich and a bottle of Gatorade, then ran up to the park and sat by the lake and had lunch. Frikkin' windy and cold all day today, including up at Hanging Rock; glad I plugged in before I left the house this morning.

From there I ran up to Meadows of Dan on 8/58, then rescued a trucker whose GPS had led him astray and routed him to the Parkway near the Woodberry Inn (he had come from Floyd and was trying to get to Chateau Morissette; close but no ceegar!). I'll have a story and pix here in a bit. :)
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Saturday after I left the auction I wandered around Surry County a bit, not wanting to stray too far from shelter because of increasingly-threatening skies, and found myself back in Mount Airy. Fuggit, I thought, abandon ship - it was blessedly warm, but not the postcard-pretty day I'd been salivating for all week. As I cleared Mount Airy, with the Blue Ridge and home firmly in my crosshairs, something pulled me back. I assume this has happened to all of you, as well. You're ripping down a road, pointed one direction, and something calls out to you down a side road and you end up pointed an entirely different direction. I try not to ignore these things.

I u-turned and figured I cruise old-town Mayberry one more time, and maybe *this* time I'd find parking near Page's Bookstore, my favorite place to get a great cuppa (hi Sandy!). As I rolled by Veterans Memorial Park and glanced over, it was immediately obvious there was a hot-rod show going on (the first of our still-early season); aha, THIS is what had pulled me back into town.

I rolled into the grounds, took a couple of slow burns up and down the rows of rigs, then found a place to park and did some wandering on foot. This is my kind of gig, these are my kind of people.

[​IMG]

I stopped here for a moment to grab a mood shot before I found a more appropriate place to park. While I was snapping pix a couple of guys walked up to the bike and must have assumed I was actually entered in the show. They did several laps, pointing at this and that, and then approached, threw me a couple of nice bones to chew on and began asking questions about the build. Flattering.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Hard to pick a favorite at a gig like this.

[​IMG]

This '30 Olds (Cali plate, in NC?) didn't suck too bad.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Oh, heck yeah.
    klaviator likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The fella with the '80 L82 Corvette had a "Vietnam Veteran" decal on the back glass. I extended my hand and thanked him for his service. He pointed to his license plate. "Purple Heart, too" he said. Yep, custom Virginia tag with a Purple Heart logo on it. Nice. I told him my brother was in 'Nam, too - Army, First Air Cavalry, '68-'69, right in the very worst of it. We were lucky to get him home.

At this the big man stood up, grabbed my hand in his massive paw, looked me straight in the eyes and said, "Tell your brother I said thank you for your service." It'd be my honor, I said.

A moment later I texted Bro Doug out in Washington State and told him what had just gone down.

Thank you, gentlemen. Thank you to ALL veterans and active-duty. And thank you to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

About this time they announced over the PA system that trophy presentations were coming up, but first: the playing of our National Anthem. Veterans Park became quiet, and everyone in attendance, right on down to the children, faced the American flag flying high over the grounds. It was hand over your heart - or, in many cases, military salutes - as far as the eye could see. Not a single knee was taken, and our country - and especially its warriors - were shown the respect they've earned and deserve.

God Bless America.
    klaviator, Jonnybow, Samspade and 4 others like this.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    By the time I rolled out of Veterans Memorial Park it had gotten pretty enough again to want to continue the ride, so I headed out to Dobson, then rolled past the winery and through the rolling farmland to Elkin, for no particular reason other than I like the roads down that way, and the afternoon lighting was intoxicating.

Truth be told, something was pulling on me.

As I rolled around a corner just outside of town there it was: Friendship Motor Speedway and Saturday night dirt track racing.

I stayed for several hours, had a track burger and watched with fascination all the track prep, the rigs rolling in and setting up in the infield, practice heats, the cackle of open exhausts and heady aroma of race fuel, family after boisterous family piling through the gates, the kids, especially, amped by the spectacle of it all. My kind of gig, my kind of people - rural Americana at its "Don't Tread On Me" best.

I milked this experience for all it was worth, basking in the warm North Carolina sun and literally bathing in the ambience, but had to roll just before actual racing began so I wouldn't be navigating the Parkway home in the dark. It was worth every penny of the twelve bucks it cost me to get in, and a burger with the works, fries and a Gatorade only cost me another five. Simple pleasures are the best pleasures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/FriendshipSpeedway

Crank it up:

[​IMG]
    klaviator and Drew like this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Leaving Elkin when I did got me back in the mountains, at Pipers Gap, just in time for this:

[​IMG]

What an amazing day.
    klaviator, 1stgenfarmboy and MYUMPH like this.
  19. hooligan998

hooligan998 Save a life, grope your wife.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this. I am doing a Deals Gap trip in June. I'm taking a couple days on my return as I wanted to ride Rt. 8 in VA. I''m pretty sure I can fit this loop into my itinerary for the day.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  20. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Real drivers do it in the dirt!!!!
    Fast Ferris likes this.