FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Denise and I just cranked out a monster week of yard chores on our place, specifically, hauling off multiple loads of branches and limbs to the local landfill - the final remnants of a major power line right-of-way clearing along our north property line in 2017 - and then building a new island on our NW property corner using a couple dozen large tree rounds from the clearing as the foundation, then several loads of fill dirt from Troyers in Hillsville, then several loads of native mulch from down by the branch that runs along our back property line, then all the dirt from our compost piles, and then everything topped off with a copious layer of mulch from B&B Growers down in Cana.

It's been a massive project for me 'n D and we're both pretty much wore out.

Yesterday morning, Denise - major sweetie that she is - told me to "get lost!" So I did, to the tune of 370 miles. :ricky

[​IMG]

These are the last remaining piles of limbs and organic debris from the right-of-way clearing (you can see the power lines running up the right side of the pic); it's taken us over a year of hard labor to reach this point.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Roger that. Hope you had a great ride!
    ejm4 likes this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is one of the five loads we hauled to the local landfill.
    husky390 and ejm4 like this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just finished unloading the first load of fill dirt.
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

More dirt!
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just finished unloading the first of two loads of mulch.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Another trailer-load of mulch went in over the top of this, being careful not to harm the two small tulip poplars and the dogwoods already calling this part of our yard home. I'll be on the lookout for some more landscaping boulders in my travels, and next spring we'll plant some flowers here. In the meantime, we'll let this new island settle and season a bit as I finish sculpting the final design.
    1stgenfarmboy, tastroman and ejm4 like this.
  9. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait, no bon fire?
  10. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Believe me, there were plenty! This was just the tail end of many months of piles of the same -- my Sweetie burned off probably 3 times what you see. :-)
    But hey, it is done! Now making it pretty again which is just as rewarding as cleaning it up. :) :)
    Fast Ferris and tastroman like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    There was SO much of this stuff (the pix don't do it justice), that the easiest (not easy, but easiest) and safest thing to do was to haul it all to the landfill in Hillsville. Major props to Denise - this past week was intense. We rented that trailer for a week and worked it pretty much sunup to sundown all seven days. Thanks, Babe!

OK, so where were we? Oh yeah: yesterday morning Denise told me to "get lost!" :D

We had three back-to-back days during our yard project into the low 90's (with humidity to match), but yesterday morning it was only 52 degrees when I got up. Yes!!! We don't get many truly cool days up here on the Blue Ridge this time of year, and when we do I'm loathe to waste them.

I headed south down the Parkway (this puts the early-morning sun generally at your back; a lot more enjoyable that way), with no particular destination in mind other than staying up on the Parkway as much as possible. Being a w*rkday, traffic was light, and the air was cool, crisp, fragrant and refreshing. I stopped for about 45 minutes at Doughton Park, at a seldom-used loop parking area that is crossed by the MST - the Mountains to Sea Trail. I was a little cold, to be honest; even though the sun had been up for several hours at this point, it was still chilly out. I didn't mind.

I peeled out of my gear and basked in the sun. I had the place all to myself, and hiked up the MST a ways and enjoyed the peace and solitude. Doughton Park encompasses about a zillion acres of North Carolina wilderness, crowned by 3792-foot Bluff Mountain, and the views up here are expansive.

By and by I slowly worked my way down to Blowing Rock. It was still morning when I pulled into this quaint little "lifestyles of the rich and famous" mountain town and a cup of expensive coffee sounded good, so I motored through town and pulled into my favorite little coffee shop. As I shut the bike off, I heard a male voice ask, "Are you Fast Ferris?!?"

By sheer luck and good fortune, inmate Sonny S. - who first posted up on this thread not more than a couple weeks ago - and his lady friend Jennifer were having coffee at one of the outdoor tables and saw me pull in. Sonny walked up with a big grin and said, "I don't know you, but I know that motorcycle!"

We had a great visit. Sonny - who hails from Frederick, Maryland - and his friend Jennifer are in the middle of a multistate ADV ride on their his-'n-hers 650 'Zooks, and were poring over their GPS's when I pulled up, pondering their next destination. They're doing it right, making up their route each day on the fly, following their front wheels in search of ADVenture.

Sonny and Jennifer, here's to you both - thanks for making my day. :super

[​IMG]
    tastroman and Sonny S. like this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were sitting there drinking coffee and I saw that red Heritage pull up. At first I was thinking... Nice bike. Then it was more like... No way!!!
    I remember I said... Are you Fast Ferris? You just looked at me... I said... I don't know you but I sure know that motorcycle !!!
    It was truly a great time sitting there chatting over coffee and meeting you.
    Yeah the odds... So crazy!! We're still on our little adventure for a few more days. Today was about 200 miles of rain. Maybe 50 or so was on dirt / gravel roads in the Jefferson National forest.
    Jennifer got this picture leaving Blowing Rock as we were approaching the Parkway and splitting off. 2019-06-05%2017.53.49-1.jpg
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Awesome pic, thanks Jennifer! The pleasure was all mine. Where are you guys tonight?

Ride safe, and I hope you keep posting up pix!
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tonight we're in Pembroke, VA.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I *think* this is a first for me: I stopped and actually got off my bike on the Linn Cove Viaduct:

[​IMG]

I had done several back and forth laps of the LCV, enjoying the sensation of flight (the view from up here - cantilevered way up the flank of Grandfather Mountain - is pretty incredible), and decided to stop and grab a pic or two from the viaduct itself. There's very little room to get out of the way (and this is likely a guaranteed citation from a Park Ranger), so I didn't stay long.
    klaviator, MYUMPH, ejm4 and 2 others like this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's the Parkway exiting northbound to the right of frame. This vantage point deserves a high-resolution 360-degree photograph to do it any kind of justice. Absent that, however, several laps on a motorcycle suffices nicely.
    klaviator and MYUMPH like this.
  17. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    Speaking of 360deg, I took this panorama(download and view on a smartphone for full effect) from what has to be one of the finest BRP overlooks. It may be the first overlook north of the 421 - at least 180 degrees (seems like 200)of view from the parking lot. The crazy part is that I spent 4 yrs at App State and I don't think I ever traveled north of 421 on the parkway during that time.

The DR650 is what I was certain I would be buying when I joined this site and the reason for my forum name (I am not that big and even less single, but I am getting old). It is still on the top of my list as a second bike.

Attached Files:

Fast Ferris likes this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    In our years here we've spoken with many locals who've NEVER traveled the Parkway. Boggles my mind.

Sonny's got a couple Harleys at home and puts a lot of miles on 'em, but for this trip their DR650's got the nod. Seems like the perfect motorcycle for exploring this part of the world.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    In spite of what I told Sonny and Jennifer the other day, I do occasionally stop for food during my rides. While enjoying my French Dip in Little Switzerland, this odd contraption pulled in:

[​IMG]
    klaviator likes this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'd never seen (or even heard of) one before. I asked the driver what it had for a motor. "Dunno, just rented it down in Asheville." I've subsequently learned that it's powered by a turbocharged GM 4-cylinder engine, with an automatic trans and front-wheel-drive. Looks like fun!
    klaviator and tastroman like this.