FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of the Parkway, it attracts motorcyclists, bicyclists, hikers, RV'ers, picnicers, drivers, birdwatchers, and stargazers, all feeding off of the same vibe. God bless the Roosevelt, Harold Ickes and the CCC for their forward vision.
  2. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super:super
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A local dealer here in Huntsville sells those. They are around 30K. I saw one at Deal's Gap last week.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  4. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    FF you are giving me the fever really bad......BRP fever........the last few times I have been on your thread I end up looking at the calendar then the map thinking about a trip.

Dar
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    "A parkway like Blue Ridge has but one reason for existence, which is to please by revealing the charm and interest of the native American countryside."
    -- Stanley Abbott, chief Blue Ridge Parkway designer and first superintendent
    MYUMPH and tastroman like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I did some studying up on these last night. Too rich for my blood, but sure looks like a hoot!

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Lol! There's only one cure for BRP fever, my friend! :ricky
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    From Little Switzerland I continued south down the Parkway. This was pretty heady stuff for me - I don't get down this far very often on a day ride, as it can be problematic making it home by dark.

However, the weather was intoxicating (still refreshingly cool), and I kept monitoring the "what time will I get home from here if I u-turn right NOW" function on my GPS. I told Sonny and Jennifer back in Blowing Rock that my goal tonight was to be home by 9 p.m., which would leave me the teeniest little bit of daylight cushion (but also, regrettably, run me smack into deer-thirty for the last 60 miles or so).

The Parkway climbs quickly beyond Little Switzerland and everything, well, changes. The air becomes crisper, the terrain grows even more rugged, and the trees and vegetation changes to something more alpine in appearance. As late in the day as it already was I happily motored on, intoxicated by it all.

Feeding off the vibe, as Tastroman so eloquently stated above.

[​IMG]
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Mount Mitchell is the highest point of land in America east of Sturgis, South Dakota:

[​IMG]

I've taken many photos parked in front of this sign over the years, but I think this is a first for the Heritage.

I stayed only long enough to grab this pic and then climbed slowly down the mountain back to the Parkway. I had decided to forge on to Craggy Gardens and make my u-turn from there, and time was not on my side.

That said, I savored every moment.
    klaviator, MYUMPH and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  10. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    My wife and I love Mitchell, with us being amateur birders with it the high peek in the Eastern fly zone we get to see birds we don't get to see anywhere else, the smell has to be what heaven smells like........in my mind anyway.

My son and I were there a couple years ago.

IMG_20160804_110253099.jpg
    IMG_20160804_111636879.jpg

Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate, but it just don't matter when you're up there.
  11. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've spent some time in a Slingshot from our local dealer because they're one of the sponsors for our MDA golf tournement. Every year we park different atvs, motorcycles, utvs, etc. I know the owner and he always uses a Slingshot for a display, and I keep in my garage for the weekend. Really fun to drive, but for the money, I'd buy a Jeep or Miata.
  12. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's the grass, or a certain plant or tree, but there's always a distinct smell that triggers that, "Ahhhhhhhh, I'm finally here." emotion in me.
  13. st2sam

st2sam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You know what guys and gals?

I've come to the conclusion "The Blue Ridge Parkway" is the East Coast version of 'Highway One"?

Is it fair to even compare???
    At any rate, Fast Ferris, your post and pics make it seem possible. Thanks!
    klaviator and Fast Ferris like this.
  14. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Well Sir, I have been on both a few time, I feel like highway 1 could have a few more " different types " of views, big rocks, ocean view, bridges, just a different landscape, but it's not in the same class as the BRP, beautiful green rolling mountains that go forever.

Maybe it's us, but when we get back from a trip to the west we are so happy to see green..... beautiful green.

This is all my take on it though and others could be different.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Great pics! We posed our bikes in nearly the identical spots. :)

Well said, amigo, couldn't agree more.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Also very well said. The other day was like that for me, especially as I climbed past 5000 feet in altitude. It's just different up there.
    klaviator and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  17. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    An uncrowded Mt Mitchell is arguably my favorite single spot in the USA "so far " I hope we're not done traveling yet but after 32 years we've been some amazing places.
    klaviator and Fast Ferris like this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Like Dar/1GFB, I've ridden both and each has its unique charms. Unlike the Parkway, however, Highway 1 allows commercial traffic.

Also, the Appalachians are chock full of twisty riding up and down both sides of the Parkway. If you turn due west from Highway 1, you'll quickly need a snorkel. :)

Gracias, amigo - thanks for riding along!
    1stgenfarmboy and klaviator like this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

As memory serves, there's only one tunnel along the Parkway in Virginia. In North Carolina, however, there's a plethora of them.

This is Wildacres Tunnel. It's pretty cool listening to oncoming motorcycles, particularly Harleys, ride through. Kinda like the world's largest Bose speaker.
    1stgenfarmboy and klaviator like this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I finally made it to Craggy Gardens:

[​IMG]

This pic was taken at apx. milepost 365, which puts me about 160 Parkway miles from home. Doesn't sound like that much, but this late in the day, with a Parkway speed limit of 45 mph (and factoring in a fuel stop somewhere), it's gonna be a challenge to meet my self-imposed 9 o'clock get-home target.

I hated to leave - I'd ridden all day just to get here - but prudence (including a strong dislike of dodging deer after dark) dictated a few quick pix for posterity's sake and then a regrettably hasty departure.