FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I don't know how tall Sammy is but he is a lanky one for sure.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Carlost earns half an ADV sticker in this water crossing up by Mabry Mill...

[​IMG]
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    ...and earned the other half on the return run:

[​IMG]

:ricky
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I chose to traverse the water crossing at a more sedate pace:

[​IMG]

When I lifted the bike off the stand, the front muffler was blowing bubbles...
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Tastroman, remember this ride?

[​IMG]

TMan and Prior, at the Wood Brothers Racing Museum in Stuart, Virginia - August 2016.
    MYUMPH and tastroman like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    And here's Prior flashing a pair of ADV salutes before the three of us attacked Belcher Mountain (uphill):

[​IMG]

Alex, if you're lurking: We're long overdue for a ride, my brother...
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-6-26_23-6-40.png

upload_2019-6-26_23-8-3.png

Belcher Mountain Road is 609.
    klaviator and MYUMPH like this.
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not my video but this should help if you are on the fence about riding Belcher Mountain. I will say that the road is always in various states of repair and as of last weekend it's in pretty good shape. No way I'd ride it on street tires after a prolonged rain as even the flater sections can get a little soft. Soft sections seem to linger in the winter months.

Ferris, I think the strangest thing about our ride up Belcher that day was our pairing of bikes.

Fast Ferris, Amphib and MYUMPH like this.
  9. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first ride up Belcher Mtn was about 10 years ago, on a beautiful fall day heading to Galax, Va. As I started out, going up from Woolwine the trip seemed wonderfull, nice homes in a peaceful neighborhood. As I began to climb, and passed what was the last home in that "neighborhood" there on the right, a fellow was cutting his grass and gave me a look of "you poor bastard". Shortly thereafter, the hard surface road changed to powder dry, loose rocks, some rip rap sized. My heavily loaded KLR was dragging up to the chain in the soft debris. I couldn't believe a road could be this messed up, and be on a map! As I continued on, cussing and laughing inside my helmet, I met one elderly couple coming down from the other direction. They had a look of terror in their eyes as they had just looked into the eyes of the devil, and he was coming at them on a Red KLR650. Finally I made it to the top, where it leveled out and there sitting in the shade eating his lunch, was the sumbiatch vdot motorgrader driver that had created such hell! I wanted to fill his cab full of uppercuts, but was just glad to be back on more solid ground. If he had "tracked" the loose stuff in with his tires, it would have been so much better. Just bad timing for me on what otherwise was a great experience. As I got back on the BRP, I was thinking to myself "that was awesome". The video posted above makes it look much more open, and in better condition than the day I went up.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    That video doesn't do Belcher Mountain justice, IMO, but it's a good look nonetheless. I got a kick out of the one dude putting his foot down around some of the corners. :)

Yeah, we were kinda the odd couple, plus one! :D
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Lol! Brilliant description, and so true. I've had people sitting out on their verandas watch me go by on my Harley and I believe they're thinking the same thing: You poor bastard (or, you dumb SOB!) :D
    klaviator, MYUMPH and tastroman like this.
  12. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Proof that any bike can be an "Adventure" bike.
  13. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    what do you mean " odd pairing "........................they both have 2 wheels..........:clap
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Kinda like this motley ménage à trois?

[​IMG]

Visiting the site of the former Bob White Covered Bridge with Twig and Tastroman.
  15. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True statement. My taste in bikes has evolved over the years, but it never mattered to me what someone else chose to ride. I remember when I saw the 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 on the cover of Motorcyclist Magazine. It was love at first sight. Almost got a divorce over that one, but that's a story for another time. 16 years later I'm on a modern classic dual purpose, and eyeballing a Harley for the first time. I think a Ural would be awesome to goof around on with my 8 year old son too! I just love motorcycles.
    [​IMG]
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Amen! :super
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome!! Like we were talking about riding the Harley's, sometimes ya just gotta go where the road takes you :-). They clean up well
    FLHTK and Fast Ferris like this.
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I tell people in some of the other boards.
    I always thought my Harley's were adventure bikes until the term " Adventure Bike" came out.. Lol.
    Like... Uhm y'all know people used to have just one motorcycle if they were lucky. It had no rear suspension, just a springer up front and no ground clearance.
    Yet they hill climbed, creek crossed and rode around the world on dirt roads.
    Times have changed.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been on a lot of rides that look like this with a mix of bikes. Like this one:

[​IMG]
  20. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think what separates AVD Rider from other motorcycle stops around the web is the amount of space dedicated to the ride. While Ferris has had a couple nice bikes since starting this thread it's the spirit of the ride that he and so many others on this site do a fine job capturing. It's a site for riding enthusiasts where the ride is usually more important than the bike hence the variety.