FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    This was taken early this morning during my daily coffee walk:

[​IMG]

The deer come through every morning and evening and vacuum up any apples that have dropped from our apple trees. The deer around here are fairly domesticated; this young buck is a regular in our 'hood.
    Bartimus, RedUly and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    On top of all the excitement going on at the FBADlands National Monument, we've just been hired to do the landscaping at a new wedding venue being built up in Fancy Gap:

[​IMG]

Red Hill Farms sits on about 15 acres, with its own private lake. The barn in the background is ancient and was nearly collapsed when the owner bought this place. He has since restored it and converted it into a rustic home.

The barn in the foreground is new construction. The excavation presently taking place is for the commercial kitchen, restrooms, changing rooms, and I think overnight lodging accomodations (including, so I'm told, an elevator).

This will be a long-term project for me 'n D; there's a lot of ground to cover, so to speak. It's a beautiful setting, and seems more like an honor and privilege than actual w*rk.
    klaviator likes this.
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering where you've been. Man you've been busy!! Can't wait to see the finished product! Congrats on the landscaping gig. That's very cool.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to some of those Fast Ferris Fall Fotos!
    tastroman and Fast Ferris like this.
  5. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Same here, I was hoping everyone was alright, looks like you've put riding on one of the back burners like the rest of us.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  6. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tis' the dead of Summer, and the heat is on.
    tastroman likes this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My partner in grime. :raabia
    klaviator likes this.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Our first task is to build mulch/flower islands in what we call the "woods world." Most of the brushing and clearing has already been done; our job is to make it pretty, but natural looking.

It doesn't look like much.......yet.......
    klaviator likes this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We brought in a truckload of hostas and ferns from our place; these were all growing under the three pine trees we're taking out and would've been otherwise lost, but Denise spent several hours one morning last week digging up dozens and dozens of plants, and they're now living on at their new home.
    RedUly likes this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Some black-eyed susans from our place that we put in last Saturday. These will propagate naturally and in a few years' time will start popping up here and there all on their own.
    Bartimus likes this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Humble beginnings. We placed the boulders with a skid steer; they're massive.
    Bartimus and RedUly like this.
  12. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that amazing! Beautiful place.

Labor force in the mountains seems to have gotten more handsome since I live there too.
    Prior, Fast Ferris and tastroman like this.
  13. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or is there a pattern in these pics..........she is always the one with tools and working.....:lol3

It OK ferris.....stay in the truck ..... she's got this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We'll be building a nature trail up through the woods world, with places to sit in the shade and enjoy the view.

I pitched the idea of a water feature to the owner and he's all for it. I'm envisioning a small mountain stream, lined with native boulders, that courses down amongst the trees and flows out into the lake. I've never designed or built anything like this before, and am excited for the challenge.
  15. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If this is retirement I guess I'll just keep on punching the clock. With your remodel and the landscape project y'all sure have a lot on the table!

New shop going to have a place for wall art?
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Shhhhhh.....................................

:)
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Sometimes life comes at you fast. :)

Yeah, I think so. Pretty modest all in all, room for two cars (pickups, in our case), and both bikes. Radiant heat in the floor, which will be an absolute blessing up here in the winters.

The new garage will free up both our existing single-car garages. The upstairs garage will be converted into a master bedroom/bathroom/office, and the downstairs garage (where D's GMC Sierra presently resides) will house the riding mower, walk-behind mower, yard tools, etc., etc. after it gets a gentle makeover.
  18. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    A heated garage :getiton Just think of all of those bikes left alone, out in the cold that need a warm loving garage like yours to shelter them from the storm. Now that you'll have the space it's your duty to take one or two more in.

Seems like I recall you considering at one point ending up back out on the west coast so this remodel is tipping the scale back east I assume? :thumbup
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Wayle, we've got two already. How many more do we need? :D

Yeah, we did a lot of recon out west in that regard in '16 and '17. There are plenty of great places and spaces out there (Prescott/Flagstaff, Arizona, anywhere in the Black Hills of South Dakota, or western central Oregon would work just fine), and we've got family in California and Washington so "somewhere" out west would make keeping in touch a lot easier, but every time we've returned to the Appalachians after a long road trip we've both let out a long "aaahhhhhhhhh."

This is home. :)
  20. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need more tractor pic's, looks a lot like one I have.
    Is it a 253 with a 232 loader?