FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    We'll be back out there on Saturday and I'll get some more pix and info. I don't speak tractor (yet), but it's sure been handy to have for moving large quantities of mulch around. I'm still learning how to drive the thing, but last Saturday I successfully* placed a very large landscaping boulder with it (*ended up with the rubber side down, and no one had to go to the emergency room).

I need one. :D
    RedUly likes this.
  2. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking about having a wild hair and running away for a few days.... but I ain't coming by your house....... you'll put me to work....:lol3
    Fast Ferris, tastroman and RedUly like this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Very likely true! :D

Our life has a lot of moving parts right now, and the new landscaping gig at Red Hill Farms - which we didn't see coming - has added yet another one.

Our remodel crew - Nicky, his dad Larry, and brother/son Travis - have just about finished up our basement bathroom, which was a 1/2 bath before, and also housed the water heater. I had them evict the water heater to another location, and they're just putting the finishing touches on a new shower (and vanity and toilet), which now makes this a 3/4 bath. Lots of engineering went into the shower drain plumbing, in particular, since the new shower was installed on a concrete slab that had no drain provisions previously. I also had them install an anti-backflow valve on our incoming water line, and a whole-house cartridge-style water filter.

Tomorrow, if things go well downstairs, they'll rotate upstairs and begin the real demolition. We're converting our living room, kitchen and office (technically #3 bedroom) into one large L-shaped room. We're taking out a couple of walls, installing a new window in the kitchen, moving the back door over about five feet, etc., etc. Denise is getting all-new cabinets, countertops and several new appliances, and we'll finish up with Pergo hardwood flooring.

When this project is done, we're doing a makeover of the upstairs bathroom. It'll remain a full bath, but will grow in size a little bit, and get a complete facelift.

And when this project is done, the boys are going to convert our upstairs single-car garage into a new master bedroom suite, master bath, etc.

Somewhere in all of this our laundry room, which is presently in the basement, will get moved upstairs.

And...........any day now we should be breaking ground on our new garage.

No rest for the wicked, as the saying goes. :)
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Progress (and chaos and commotion) is being made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bobw and Dangeross like this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is three rooms - living room, kitchen/dining room and office/#3 bedroom - being converted into one room. Sorry for the crappy pic.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looking from the kitchen into the new dining room.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Progress is also being made on the garage; this was Josh Barr and crew last week, removing three large pine trees:

[​IMG]

And this is Aaron yesterday, beginning to excavate the first stump:

[​IMG]
    bobw likes this.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Josh looks on. This stump was massive and fought us for over an hour.
    bobw likes this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Getting close.
    tastroman likes this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Burying a new water line. The existing one is too shallow in places (well above the frost line), and kinked a bit where it goes through the basement wall, effectively reducing its inside diameter. The new line will also make it easier to run water out to the new garage.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Beginning to dig for the garage footers.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Almost ready for concrete.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Big day today.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The dude running the hose has a remote control gizmo hanging around his neck so he can precisely control the flow of concrete from their pumper unit.
    tastroman likes this.
  19. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good Jerry, I hope it's finished soon.

Your stump pictures remind me of the time a friend and I dug up a pine tree stump with shovels. We only started because we didn't have any idea how difficult it would be. It took about a year.
    Fast Ferris and tastroman like this.
  20. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of hours to burn while helping my daughters move back into Cullowhee, NC last week. We had a bunch of stuff to take so the MC had to stay home. But I had the opportunity to see the southern end fo the parkway by car. It was my daughters Chevy Cruze with a tiny Eco-turbo charged engine that must be the worst mountain car ever created. Anyway, thats not the point. The point is that I have confirmed what I have read many times,, the south end of the parkway is more impressive than the area I frequent (near the NC/VA border). I only drove from the southern end to where it intersects with HWY 74 when it was time to start moving in.

After a long climb, the views were frequent and big. I will need a MC trailer for the next trip or just block out long trip all the way on the parkway. The trouble is, when we go, we always end up taking something there or bring something home and these things typically don't travel well on 2 wheels.

I have a 2 singles and one double PWC trailer with no PWCon them, I am thinking one of those may be converted to a motorcycle trailer.
    Fast Ferris likes this.