FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for two dudes with just shovels, a year sounds about right! :)

Here's a look at the big stump when Josh hauled everything off yesterday afternoon; his trailer is 8' wide:

[​IMG]

Josh said it's the second-biggest stump he's ever hauled. Note that I pretty much plugged his dump truck, as well.

It's nice to have this stuff out of our yard.
    tastroman, MYUMPH, bobw and 2 others like this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Here's a partial look at the new garage footers as they cure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaron - the guy who dug the trench - will also lay the block for the walls, and then the walls will get filled with concrete.
    tastroman, MYUMPH, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  3. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are things going up in Virginia?
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    House? They start hanging sheetrock this week. :)

Garage? They start laying block this week. :)

Weather? Perfect! Temps have dropped 15+ degrees, the humidity has gone back to Florida where it belongs, and it feels like fall. :)
    Bartimus, 1stgenfarmboy and bobw like this.
  5. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have a good week coming up.

I was up around Marion this weekend, it did feel good. I assume you know of Grapefield?
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden in so long I've forgotten the shift pattern; four down and one up? Monday thru Friday I'm here at FBADlands National Monument supervising the chaos. Saturdays I've been spending at Red Hill Farms working on their landscaping, and Sundays - including yesterday - I'm off to Lowes again, grabbing yet more supplies and materials; I've been handing them $1000 bills like they're going out of style.

You picked a great weekend to climb into the mountains. Saturday was plenty wet for the first half of the day (which we badly needed), but yesterday was textbook.

Grapefield? Yep, I know it well. Pretty much motorcycle perfection, IMO, although the southern end ties my Heritage up in knots if I push a little too hard. Reminds me of riding an old wooden roller coaster... :)
  7. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I took Mitzi on it yesterday, she giggled. You should ride with us again. She has gotten good enough that I can't keep up with her and she goes slow(er) so I won't wreck. It would be fun watching you two carve corners.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Mitzi would be up front doing all the carving, I'd be well behind her showering you with streams of sparks from my angry floorboards. :D
    RedUly likes this.
  9. RedUly

Oddometer:
    tastroman and Fast Ferris like this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I'm long overdue to make a lap of that magnificent road that shall not be named that angers my floorboards so... :D
    RedUly likes this.
  11. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you name it in a PM?:D
    tireatr likes this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    You've got mail. :)
  13. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    :y0!..

We're going to Shenandoah NP in a couple of weeks, I may go south on the BRP a couple of days.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Pix or it didn't happen! :D
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Fireman, I stumbled into this road quite by accident not long after Denise and I moved out here, and was gobsmacked at how amazingly excellent it is. As we began to make new riding buddies out here, I heard the same story over and over again; everyone, it seems, had found this road by accident trying to find a quicker way from point A to point B.

One time, several years ago, after a particularly spirited strafing run we all mutually made a pact to never publicly divulge the name of this road, in an effort to keep out the inevitable "second coming of Valentino Rossi-type" riff-raff (the folks that think it's actually an honor to hang rashed body panels on the Tree of Shame down at the Dragon and pose for a celebratory photo). Yes, we were being greedy and stingy!

Fast forward several years and someone (not in our group) decided this road needed a catchy name, website, t-shirts and mas promotion and publicity. The word is out, in other words, but I'm still doing my part to keep it a secret as long as possible. The info I sent you contains everything you need to know. It's a treat in either direction, and the towns at each end are equipped with all the amenities one needs while on the road, and then some.

Mum's the word. :D
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's still a number of really great, but unknown roads out there. I never post the names in my ride reports. Luckily, most riders seem content to ride the "T-shirt" roads.

I rode some of those roads last week. The late Frank Cheek, founder of Two Wheels Only told me about one of these roads. He called it the Too Too road because "It's too crooked and too steep to ride on a motorsickle":rofl

One of the easier curves:

[​IMG]
  17. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Is that in Georgia?
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

North Carolina. This road is unlikely to become a T-shirt road because it has an unpaved section on it and we all know street bikes can't be safely ridden on dirt/gravel roads.......right?
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Wayle, the fellas came on Wednesday to start laying block for the garage, but the truck bringing the block broke down and never showed. Maybe next week...

The good news: my other guys started mudding and taping all the new sheetrock yesterday. The house is still an absolute war zone, but this is a significant milestone.

On Friday afternoons, after the crew leaves, I drag the TV out of storage and get it all re-hooked up so I can watch my NASCAR, NHRA and Barnwood Builders; this pic was taken a little earlier this evening, showing off my state-of-the-art redneck entertainment center:

[​IMG]

Happiness is not having what you want, happiness is having what you need (<--- there's a Hallmark card hidden in there somewhere...)
    ejm4 and tastroman like this.
  20. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, you just gave away what road it is. I do enjoy the road but only prefer to ride it in one direction on the gravel with a street bike. Other issue with the road beside gravel is that it is too close to a main road which many people try to avoid.