FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :scratch The gravel section is the same in each direction, it's pretty level and not hard. I've led a bunch of streetbikes through there including a Gold Wing and no one complained. I've ridden it both ways, mostly on street bikes.

North Carolina is a big state. Unless you have ridden this road, you are unlikely to figure it out and if you have ridden it then I haven't given anything away.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This was taken about mid-day Friday. Not long after this the final load of blocks was delivered and the boyz cranked hard and got the rest of the "missing" courses in the back laid before they called it a day.

Hopefully on Wednesday or Thursday the walls get filled with concrete, then there's one more 8" course of blocks to go down, called "L" blocks, which will bring the walls to final grade, and also act as the form when the floor is poured.
    Bartimus likes this.
  3. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My beautiful wife and I took yet another buddies Harley for a ride this past weekend. She loved it, and I'm getting the itch.

[​IMG]
    tastroman, bobw, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  4. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks good.

So when can you ride again? :)
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Great pic, thanks for sharing. You're a lucky man!

Yeah, there's something about the way a Harley Big Twin goes about its business that is satisfyingly addictive.

Itches eventually have to be scratched, amigo.......... :)
    tastroman and klaviator like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Here's a pic from a few moments ago:

[​IMG]

They dumped 20 yards of gravel inside it on Friday, and I think we've got another 30 yards coming once the blocks are filled with concrete and it has all had a chance to cure.

Don't know. Between this, and all the remodeling going on inside, I'm fairly preoccupied at the moment. :)
    Bartimus likes this.
  7. RedUly

Oddometer:
    At least you have a great reason:)

It's looking good.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Things are going to be so nice when it's all finished.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Hope so! It's been a lot of w*rk to this point, what with both projects going on at once. The garage walls were poured today, and we'll give 'em about a week to cure before moving on to the next stage.

Lowes delivered our new cabinets (and fridge and dishwasher) today; watching the delivery drivers doing their thing reminded me of watching baggage handlers at the airport. Sadly, of the first five cabinet boxes we opened (including the corner wall cabinet we needed to begin the install), two cabinets were cracked or outright broken. They had another corner cabinet in stock, however, and we finally got it - and several others - hung this afternoon.

99% of the priming and painting is done, and most of the new LED "can" lights (15 of them spaced out between the living room, kitchen and dining room) are installed and functional. The lights in the living room will be on a dimmer, and we can easily add dimmers to the kitchen and dining room down the road if we feel the need.

Denise will end up with about three times the counter space she had before, and gorgeous new cabinets and countertops; the old stuff was, well, old. We're also putting down some nice Pergo laminate flooring called "Antique Barnwood" - it's really pretty. We're adding a second window in the kitchen, and last week I ordered a Pella low-E/argon gas sliding glass door, which will open out onto the back deck from the dining room; we'll have a ton more natural light inside than ever before.

D's been in Cali for the past month and has missed out on most of the construction crap and chaos, but will be home on Saturday to finally see all the progress first-hand. I hope she likes it. :)
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Taken a few moments ago:

[​IMG]

Your basic war zone. :)
    Bartimus, Sonny S., tireatr and 2 others like this.
  11. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Fast Ferris, would you PM it again. I think I know of this road, but always looking for new roads. Thanks
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    We made some nice progress today:

[​IMG]

There's still a wall cabinet missing (hopefully will arrive at my local Lowes on Sunday), and when we began unboxing the base cabinets this morning, the base corner cabinet (the one you start with and build out from) was all caved in on the right side (a replacement is supposed to arrive on Sunday, as well).

That makes three out of 11 cabinets that arrived damaged. These cabinets are boxed very poorly; shame on the manufacturer ("Diamond Now" is the brand name, for anyone keeping score), and the baggage handlers, er, I mean delivery drivers from Lowes, appeared to have run out of "give a fucks" a long time ago (as I was going through the paperwork and confirming I'd gotten everything I ordered - which I didn't - one of the drivers encouraged me to hurry up, since they had other deliveries to attend to. Hey Lowes: WTF?!?)

Anyway, we started getting flooring down today. This is a very satisfying step in what has seemed like a long, drawn-out affair - I mean, what the heck, Chip and Joanna get in and out in an hour...
    Bartimus and tastroman like this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    You've got mail. :)
  14. RedUly

Oddometer:
    That is a great looking floor.
    tastroman likes this.