FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bummer about the knee Jerry, at least it's "just a scope procedure" LOL.
    Yes, I did snag Al's old S1W, it's quite a bike with some tasty mods. I was drooling over it the day he first posted it, but had to wait to get over the whole deer slaying incident.

Out and about along an irrigation ditch seeking fall colors
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite parking spots for shots with the Sandia Mountains in the background
    [​IMG]
    Soon, those mountains will be covered with snow

Al did a marvelous job crafting that CR faceplate on the front of this bike. His craftsmanship, and attention to detail, is top notch.

So when are we going to see more pics of the house and garage?
    Inquiring minds want to see!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  2. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    What deer slaying incident?
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    It's officially a "left knee arthroscopy with lateral retinacular release and debridement." They go in via three ports, and basically use a rusty pair of side-cutters and an old Dremel tool to turn me into Steve Austin! :D

Hope it works; it'd sure be nice to walk without pain.

I, too, drooled over his listing, more than once. Anybody who knows Al (the coolest genius I've ever gotten hammered with!) knows how special this Buell is. Congrats, and thanks for posting up some pix! (...this thread has been painfully devoid of motorcycle photos of late...)

I know you remember the Thong. It also was a '98 S1W. When I got to the seller's house to check it out, it was immediately apparant (to me, anyway) that it was a White Lightning. The dude, however, thought it was just a "regular" Buell Lightning (ha, if there ever was such a thing!), and so had it priced accordingly. I didn't know him, had never heard of him, and he wasn't on BadWeatherBikers, so I felt no compunction to tell him how special (and under-priced) his (soon to be mine) Buell was.

I miss that bike.

Wayle, funny that you ask. Denise told me the other day "no more pix of the inside of the house" - she said if any of our homies want to see the finished product, they have to come see in person! :D

As far as the garage, the crew finally re-appeared today, and they now have about 70% of the exterior sided. (This job's a bitch in that regard, due to the grade and the fact they're having to work off of ladders and walkboards about 900 feet in the air.) They promised they'd be back tomorrow, so I'm hopeful they'll get the rest sided by the end of the day. There are presently four windows installed, with two more to go. The garage doors will each have a row of lites, and the man-door will have 9 lites; I hate dark garages.

The bid for the garage includes wiring, and I pretty much have my say as to what's gonna go in, and where. In addition to plenty of electrical outlets, I'll have LED lighting in the ceiling, and I suppose I ought to wire the garage for speakers while I have the chance.

I don't have any decent recent pix to show you; I'll try to get some this weekend or early next week.

Thanks again for posting up some pix of your sweet new ride. That thing's got "jail bait" written all over it! :drif
    RedUly likes this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    ^: What Jim said. :confused
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Bartimus, remember this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was 15-1/2 years ago, my brother; time flies. Sure was fun ripping through the southern Sierras on a pair of snapping, snarling Buell White Lightnings! :ricky :ricky
    Dnutz, klaviator and MYUMPH like this.
  6. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, we were young lads back then! And Denise hasn't aged a day:raabia.
    That S1W lit the fire for me. Sad that bike was stolen, but glad to know that the dude I bought that bike from, is now the owner of my Blue/White S2 :clap
    As for the deer slaying, I hit a deer this past May on my way home from Alpine, AZ (SpringFast)
    I was barely into New Mexico on Hwy 180 on the KTM 1290 SAR rolling along about 50 mph when I spied the two baby bambi's on the opposite side of the road. I slowed down, they crossed, I started to speed back up.
    A third Bambi darted out of the bushes and I tagged it hard right in the ribs, at the slow speed I was going, I started to flip, then spun to the left and went down. The bike crashed on top of me crushing me.
    Broken thumb, tweaked knee, broken collar bone, shattered shoulder blade, 9 broken ribs, and a punctured lung.
    Luckily a rancher came along that had onstar, and goth hold of the cops and an ambulance.
    Want pics? Or should I hold back the on the X-rays? :dirtdog
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  7. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    IMG_1986.JPG

Man, but I Loved that bike!
    That Borla was the bomb!
    tastroman, MYUMPH and Fast Ferris like this.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    No, she hasn't. You and I, however.......

Dang, dude! :eekers

Glad you're still here to tell the tale. Wow. Makes my little knee dealio tomorrow seem like a stroll in the park. No pix, please!!!

I'm not sure I remember that your S1W got stolen. That said, I'm not sure I remember a lot of things these days...

That's a great photo. I need to dig out some old memory cards and see if I can find a decent pic or two of the Thong.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here's an old flame of mine. Traded my VFR for this in Colorado during my "Out of Words" ride with JB2. Very nice bike. Kinda fugly all in all (although polishing the rims tarted it up some), but it always looked splendid from the seat.

Sounded great with the Two Bros. cans, and would lean over almost 90 degrees before throwing sparks. Way too tall for my stumpy little legs in anything tight and technical, but sure was a comfortable highway cruiser. Tons 'o torque.

Eventually traded it in on an FJR1300 (I had a need for speed).

So many motorcycles, so little time...
    MYUMPH likes this.
  10. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Is that the 650 or the 1000?

I had a dl650, it's a great bike. Indestructible, reliable. People would always ask me if it wasn't underpowered. I guess it is if you want to race, but I had no issues 2 up on the highway.
  11. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I am glad you have healed up. Scary story.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  12. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    I remember the Strom, you had to ride it so many miles so it would be legally "used" when you hit CommieFornia didn't you?
    And that dang FJ, AKA the MinnieBago. I can remember seeing that thing in my mirrors most of the way back up out of the mine until you got bored and decided to chase those Italian stallions a few miles during the first SpringFast. Good Times, good rides. I was telling AL I'd like to get a bunch of the old gang together again for one last ride on the devils highway. Think you can make it Ferris? I think I have an S1W you can ride ;)
    RedUly, How's life treating ya? How's that beauty of a Beemer treating you? Hopefully as well as she treated me. :)

Now post some pics of that garage!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  13. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Hey Jerry, do you have pictures of the sand dune you climbed on your epic Uly trip?
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  14. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    oh, one more...

[​IMG]

The mighty KTM, taken down by bambi. Now I bet a Harley would have flattened that that thing and kept going :jack
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture from Newfoundland :)

[​IMG]

Bike has been great, I've had no issues. I'm glad to have it.
    Fast Ferris and Bartimus like this.
  16. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I always wondered why people couldn't just ride over deer. Then I tried.
    Fast Ferris and Bartimus like this.
  17. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    She's looking good.
    My buddy back in PA hit one back in November on his Harley FXRS. He got scratched up a bit, but rode home, got his truck and brought the deer home too. :dirtdog
    His bike ended up getting totaled, but he bought it back, and rebuilt it. Calls it the Phoenix now
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the 650 version have single exhaust? Anyway, mine was a 1000. Truth be told, we stopped at the m/c dealership in Montrose, Colorado that morning because my VFR was already giving me a serious case of monkey butt (and grumpy knees) just a few days into my ride, and I wanted to see if they had anything more appropriate in stock for a not-entirely-liesurely month-long rip around the country.*

(Honda's VFR - regardless of series - is an absolute gem, a true gentleman's combination sportbike/tourer ((with a race-inspired, torquey, high-revving V-4 powerplant that must be experienced to be believed)). That said, even as short as I am, my legs were wadded up enough to bother my knees, and after a couple of days humping from California to Colorado to meet up with JB2, my ass was on fire. One final fly in the ointment was the daily challenge of how ((and where)) to stow all my luggage and gear on a bike that leaned heavily more "sport" than "touring.")

*Wayle, that's not entirely true.

It was frikkin' C-C-C-C-O-L-D-!-!-! when JB2 and I pulled out of Gunnison a half-hour earlier that morning, and we wanted some hot coffee and a chance to warm up!

And what better place to check off these boxes than a large, well-stocked, multi-line m/c dealership? (Plus, I had just sold the Thong (hi SLeeZ! :beer), to help finance my ride, and had a wad of spending money stashed back at my credit union in California, a mere phone call away. :)

For reasons that'll become apparant in a moment, I'd been sniffing around Suzuki's SV-1000 for a while, and was keen to see one in the flesh. As we lapped the showroom, I kept coming back to this hideous-looking black and yellow V-Strom, and the more I looked at it, the more sense it made. I already knew all about the platform, and once I sat on it (and closed my eyes so I couldn't actually see what I was sitting on), I fell in love: PERFECT ergos.

Aided in large part by the fact that the thing was a left-over (and, um, a V-Strom...), it was priced very attractively, and the sales manager fell head-over-heels in lust with my VFR when he came out and looked at it. (I'll post up some pix one of these days, but it was stunning, with a hand-polished frame, swingarm, wheels, levers, etc.). Anyway, he sold me the V-Strom for a song, and gave me considerably more than retail value in trade-in for my VFR (turns out he was actually buying it for himself).

Win, win.

Great bike (the V-Strom) for riding around the country. Built to a price point, to be sure, but very friendly, very happy and eager to ride all day for days at a time, which made me very friendly, very happy and eager to ride all day for days at a time.

This was Denise's scoot for a while when we lived out in Cali:

[​IMG]

Suzuki's SV-650 (same platform as the DL-650), one of the finest motorcycles ever made. We could hang with anyone we ever rode with, one-up, two-up, luggage, didn't matter. Very nearly a perfect motorcycle (and this is coming from a life-long Harley guy).

Yet another motorcycle I wish we still had.......

The surgery went well this morning, and I'm home from the hospital.

Thank you, Lord.
  19. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're on the road to recovery. I'm still Harley day dreaming.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Guys, I'll post up some longer replies to your questions tomorrow (but until then: yes, yes and yes); right now it's time to take some meds and watch game three of the World Series. :)
    RedUly likes this.