FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it went well.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  2. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I miss the Thong too!!! Yep, those were some great times. :-)
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  3. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto the dang! OUCH! Very glad to hear you are back in the saddle though!
    Surgery here yesterday was a breeze for Ferris. :) He is getting some very much needed shut eye....expecting he will be back here later.
    Sure would be nice to have 100% recovery by the time the sn*w is here AND spring riding season. Both of us dreaming of Oktoberfast 2021?......
    Bartimus and Fast Ferris like this.
  5. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl I don't usually have much time to be here! Good Morning! :-)
    RedUly and Fast Ferris like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ok, ok! :D

This pic was taken by the lovely and talented Ms. Dnutz (so her recuperating sweetie didn't have to get up out of his recliner!) late this afternoon just after the boyz called it quits for the day:

[​IMG]

Not sure when the garage doors will be delivered and installed; very soon, I think. All six windows are in, as is the man-door. It'll all get a coat or two of stain to match our house, and the foundation will get a coat of stucco to help it present nicer and more-finished.

Just found out yesterday that the mini-split that's being installed will also have "emergency" heat, for those extra-cold winter days when the heat pump function struggles to keep up by itself. I'm hoping that the mini-split, combined with R-19 walls, something along the lines of R-38 in the attic space, and the R-10 insulated concrete slab floor, will keep the space pleasant during the three-dog days of winter.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ha, ha, you have a good memory! :D

We made three separate phone calls to the California DMV the morning I bought the V-Strom, verifying that I *could* actually register it in Cali when I got home from my trip (it was a 49-state, not a 50-state, motorcycle), as long as it had LEAST 7500 miles showing on the odometer when I entered Cali; this, they said, would officially make it a "used" motorcycle in the DMV's eyes, they said. Ha! :dirtdog

I heavily photo-documented my "border crossing" into Death Valley NP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(PS: My best friend/future wife was waiting for me at Furnace Creek; she had ridden into DV the day before. It'd been over a month since I'd seen Denise; it seemed more like years. Later that morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several days later, after we got home and the dust settled, I rode down to my local DMV to register the Strom, and found out the gals at the state DMV we had talked to a month earlier had been wrong. Since I - a Cali resident - had bought the bike NEW, it didn't matter that I eventually brought it into the state USED. Not only would they not let me register it, I actually got a letter stating I had to remove the Strom from the state!

Lots of phone calls, registered letters and several months' worth of time later, they finally relented and issued my registration. What saved me were the notes I took the morning I bought the bike (including the date, time stamps and the names of the people we spoke to at the DMV), and my photo documentation and ride report on BadWeatherBikers.com, where I outlined, in great detail, the effort I went through to comply with their initial demands. (This was back before GPS's and I had done all my mileage calculations via paper maps. It was a lot of work to hit Cali with the required 7500 miles (my next-to-last day on the road was 878 miles; I had to lap Nevada twice that day to get the miles I needed), but without adding too many additional miles; at this point, I was quite ready to get home.)

Good times. Thanks for the memories! :D
    Bartimus, RedUly and klaviator like this.
  8. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    Good morning Dnutz! :wave

Ferris, I loved reading about all your ride reports. You are very well spoken, and can bring a story to life, almost make a person feel like they are there.
    I remember the VFR well, also. A gorgeous motorcycle in it's own right. You should dig up a few pictures of that beauty, so folks can see what you traded away for the Strom.
    You put a lot of time and effort into that bike to make it purdy. (as you do ALL your bikes.)
    Glad to see you are coherent, thanks for the pic of the Garage, heat!!!! So badly needed where it gets cold. :bmwrider
    Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bartimus, much appreciated.

Coherent? Sheesh, next you'll accuse me of having common sense! :D
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    One minor quibble: they chased US, not the other way around. :D

That's one of the most amazing roads I've ever ridden, and the geography change between Morenci and Hannigan Meadows (weren't there even patches of snow on the ground when we finally got up there?) is nothing short of remarkable. I think me 'n D were the last ones to ride past the mine - I was taking it real slow, soaking in the view - but then I finally got my groove on.

As memory serves, it was the two Italian Stallions and M1Combat? Anyway, when I finally got tired of dragging peg feelers (that road goes frikkin' forever!) I slowed down and motioned them all to go by, but to a man they all declined and we all cruised into HM together. That was a great day in the wind.

Be careful what you wish for: the last time someone offered me the keys to their Buell, I ended up riding it clear across the country. :D
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Dang, Jim, you do get around! :ricky
    Bartimus likes this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    That's a unique Buell, to be sure (the list of modifications is lengthy and impressive!), and anything Al touches is top flight. (Hey, remember that night at SpringFast when he got a little, um, shite-faced and spent several hours determining the trajectory and terminal velocity needed to successfully leap from the second floor balcony out onto the inflatable dome over the swimming pool? Goldschlager! :freaky)

Great pic!
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Our new kitchen countertops were finally delivered and installed yesterday - the sudden transformation is amazing. Sorry, no pix. :D

My knee was pretty grumpy on Sunday, to the point where I was considering a trip to the emergency room, but yesterday the pain and bleeding abated nicely and per the doctor's discharge instructions I'm actually weightbearing on it already. First check-up is on Friday, and if everything looks good I think physical therapy starts next week.
    Bartimus likes this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Me 'n D on the FJRocket, many moons ago, savoring the soggy splendor of the southern Sierras, after a weekend blast up to Sacramento, CA to help my Mom celebrate her XXth birthday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride to lean! :ricky
  15. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're improving!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    This was pretty much Al Lighton's fault. There we were at "Buelling Man" at Ocotillo Wells in the SoCal desert, deep into another mega-day of the FBRAT ride (and already deep into the Adult Beverage stash...), when Al, et.al., pretty much dared me to try to climb that dune (mountain) on MadDuck's Ulysses.

"Ha! Hold my beer!" :drink

[​IMG]

^ From a distance that dune, directly behind MadDuck's Uly, doesn't look that big...

I had to smoke the clutch without mercy to crawl to the top; sorry MadDuck. Getting down proved harder than getting up, truth be told. The assembled miscreants did the "wave" when I finally hit the desert floor and motored back into camp, at which point it was time to, um, let our hair down and set stuff on fire.

[​IMG]

^ Al and Joanne officially ignite the Buelling Man.

[​IMG]

^ Yes, those are 10 bottle rockets taped to the back of the Buelling Man (Joanne's bright idea), one for each day of the FBRAT ride. Somehow, it all made perfect sense at the time. One of them actually flew clean through Reindog's head, in one ear hole and out the other (he was chanting profusely at the time, and didn't even seem to notice), which hardly even slowed down on the way through. If you know Reindog, this explains a lot of things...

[​IMG]
    :bubba
  17. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I like the fire :)

I didn't realize that was SoCal. I cut across Nevada on highway 50 a couple years ago, and passed some huge white sand dunes. I figured that is where you had done your infamous climb.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I've done 50 a couple of times. You really want to make sure you plan your fuel stops out there...
    RedUly likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Not the best pix, but:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me 'n Unibear doing Mouse's Tank, near Las Vegas, many, many moons ago. Cool road, kinda like the world's longest go-kart track.
    RedUly and MYUMPH like this.
  20. Bartimus

Oddometer:
    Man that bike was gorgeous! that was an early model too, wasn't it? With the gear driven cams? mmmmusic to a mechanics ears that whirring sound was...
    Fast Ferris likes this.