FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recognize that thumb!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  2. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is the building coming?
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Fellas, profuse apologies! I've been pretty covered up with life the past few weeks and haven't been checking this thread, and it also appears that I'm not getting my usual e-mail alerts when someone posts here. Sorry for being so scarce of late!

Absolutely! As memory serves we toasted to each other's good fortune that evening with several margaritas! :beer

Ha, ha! It's certainly been around! :D

Wayle, the inside-the-house projects are moving right along. The living room/kitchen/dining room makeover is complete, and looks spectacular. The boyz then rotated to the hallway; doesn't sound like a big deal, but this included replacing (upgrading) several doors and casings. Anyway, the hallway is done, including continuing the hardwood flooring from the front of the house.

I had 'em install the old ceiling fan from what used to be our office (now the dining room) in our bedroom, then they spent several days up in the attic getting it ready to blow in insulation, which was completed last week.

They're presently about halfway through doing a complete makeover on our upstairs bathroom (this project is why we had them initially convert our downstairs bathroom from a half bath to a full bath, so we'd have a place to do our thing while the upstairs bathroom is offline).

There used to be a stupid "foyer" of sorts in front of the upstairs bathroom, about a 3' x 4' area in front of the door, abutting the hallway, that was dead space and served no earthly purpose. I had them take out the old doorway (and wall) leading into the bathroom, and we'll install a new raised-panel door (to match the other new interior doors, replacing the old, original, cheap luan doors) flush with the hallway. Doesn't sound like much, but the additional square footage allows us to move the commode to the right, which then allows us to go with a much wider vanity than we had before.

The new bathroom will have three new LED light sources (including the new exhaust fan), and we demo'd the old cast iron tub (and puke-green ceramic wall tiles) and replaced it with a fresh, functional new tub/shower enclosure.

When this project is done, I'll have them finally rotate out into the old upstairs garage, which we'll be converting into living space.

Our new garage? Wayle, it has progressed, but at a snail's pace. It hasn't yet been wired, so I have no lights or electrical outlets (and no heat), and the garage doors still haven't been installed. Grrrrr.

The painting is basically done, at least for now (it's pretty much too cold up here to finish the painting), and last week I hand-spread 20 tons of crushed rock (what is locally referred to as "57's") and the new driveway/parking pad/apron is done and looking great.

I'll try to post up a pic or two when I get a chance.
    Bartimus and RedUly like this.
  4. RedUly

Oddometer:
    How much of the original house is left?
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    We haven't gotten into the bones much, mostly just the inner skin, although we've taken out or heavily modified several walls, added a window (kitchen), removed a window (upstairs bathroom), and when we do the upstairs garage-to-living space conversion there'll be some significant bone grafts when we remove the garage door and frame in that wall.

Here's a pic of the new garage in its present state:

[​IMG]

Some of what's visible in the pic has received two coats of paint, some only one, and some hasn't yet seen any at all. :(

The boyz showed up yesterday morning, but it was 28 degrees and the wind was howling, and they (and I) quickly decided it was an impossible day for painting.

When the time is right (probably next spring) I'll fab-up some shutters to flank the windows and paint them in Hunter Green, to match the aesthetic on our house.

I can't yet park our fleet in there because the garage is full of construction stuff - tools, chop saws, sawhorses, lumber, etc. - plus the "door" situation is problematic for moving large stuff in and out.

The good news in all of this, in spite of how long this project has drug out, is that the garage is under roof; it's pretty cold in there right now, but at least everything is dry.
  6. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I see doors. They are just a little flexible.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Indeed they are, but I'm not: I want real doors! :D
    RedUly likes this.
  8. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :-) I believe the original house is still here, cannot change history! HOWEVER, the transformation to a new and improved version is working for me!
    Know my Sweetie will get some pix of the new garage here soon. :clap He has just been pretty much overloaded with all the projects going on at once. Today the electrician wired the new garage with 28? overhead lights, etc. Talk about some light!!! Garage doors to be installed tomorrow. YEAH!!!! Will sure be nice to hit the open/close button!!!!!!!!!

Our boyz/contractors have moved to demolition of the old garage - conversion to new "room" which in the short term will be my new office. :D

With sn*w in the forecast here soon again, hoping to get as much completed as we can.....
  9. RedUly

Oddometer:
    This was not the plan.

Attached Files:

Bartimus likes this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I see 19 degrees, and what looks like an icon indicating the potential for snow. Kinda reminds me of the overall weather conditions during mine and Denise's first-ever ride with you, way back in the day.......

:D
  11. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I like to make a memorable entrance.

I am in Lawsonville, roads are great.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  12. RedUly

Oddometer:
    It was a good day. This morning was cold, and I got to think about the new pair of heated gloves I didn't bring while suffering through it. Warmed up eventually and had a good ride.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Excellent, good for you for getting out! Pretty day for a ride. :)

We spent the better part of the day emptying out the contents of the old upstairs garage (soon to be D's new office/future master suite) into the new garage, so the boyz can continue initial demo tomorrow.

The new garage got wired and powered up on Friday, and the new garage doors were installed on Saturday. I had the electricians install copious electrical outlets around the perimeter of the garage, and also had them wire in 24 junction boxes in the ceiling for LED "pancake" lights (the same ones we installed in the living room/kitchen/dining room conversion; the color temperature on these particular lights is 5000k - bright daylight, basically).

Next order of business will be getting the garage space insulated, and then a breezeway built to connect the garage and the house.

No rest for the wicked...
    Bartimus, Chuck Pryce and RedUly like this.
  14. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, no rest! HOWEVER, we only have to do this once! Was hoping a nice Christmas present for Ferris was going to be a finished garage.... Well, it does have a roof and doors, maybe, just maybe heat next week? Inside project, master bath coming along. Major issues with special order vanity from Home Depot - turns out they have trouble delivering here.... To their credit, anything that Fed Ex can deliver (smaller packages) they DO deliver on time, AND they offered up a nice discount for the delays in getting the vanity here.
    And on the schedule...after getting the left knee "fixed" - now the right knee has really been an issue for my sweetie, so.... back to the OR in a couple weeks and fix it!
    1stgenfarmboy and Fast Ferris like this.
  15. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And What a Day, Ride that was!!! Seems like yesterday. It was just too cool to meet some of our soon to be best riding buddies from the East side of the US. :clap
    Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  16. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I decided to go to Greyson-Highlands yesterday to see if I could find the ponies.

[​IMG]

I made it to the park, but was foiled as I tried to ascend the mountain.
    MYUMPH, Fast Ferris and Renegade3 like this.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! It was nasty, nasty, NASTY up here in the mountains on Friday, drizzly rain all day with temps hovering around 33-34 degrees, perfect conditions for the formation of snotty, slippery, invisible black ice. I almost called off our contractors on Friday - our driveway, and the street out front, were treacherous. The Parkway in these parts was gated closed all of Friday, and most of Saturday. Good for you for braving the elements and getting out!
    RedUly likes this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Foggy mountain morning:

[​IMG]

I've got a water line already buried from the house to the garage; at some point relatively soon I'll install a frost-free water spigot at the corner of the garage, just above the end of the bulkhead seen in the lower right of the photo above. I also plan on installing a small water heater in the garage; if you've ever washed a vehicle with hot water it'll spoil you forever, and rinsing with hot water speeds the drying time considerably.

Our contractor isn't particularly great about giving us advance notice of when the next phase is set to begin, but he texted me Sunday night with a question about the mini-split heat/AC system that's going in, so I assume this project is now offically on the front burner. There's a little bit of paintwork yet to do, which really needs to be put off until next spring IMO, and the mini-split still to go in and gutters still to go on, and then our contractor's obligations will be completed and I'll take over the remaining projects.

Our upstairs bathroom is nearly completed - the boyz got the curved shower door installed yesterday, and the new sink and vanity anchored down (the new commode went online last Friday), and if things go well today the bathroom will be officially completed by quitting time this afternoon.

We've had contractors crawling around inside our home every Monday through Friday since July; with completion of the bathroom, from here on out everything happens outside of our living space. This is a major milestone, and cause for celebration.

Happy birthday Denise!!!!!!! :raabia
  19. RedUly

Oddometer:
    That is a fine looking building.

Happy birthday Denise.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  20. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :raabia
    Thank you, Babe! Love you so much!