FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Thank you! Been a Wondiferous Day!
  2. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    HBD D
  3. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Belated Thank You. :-)
  4. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas to you all.
  5. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I also have hot water plumbed into the hose, man it's so nice I never even think about what it's costing, you can wash a truck or bike in 30ish degrees and not have cold hands, even if you're in a heated garage your hands still freeze in winter without hot water.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    And Happy New Year, too! :)

I had surgery on my right knee two days after Christmas. My computer is a desk-top, and it's only been the past day or two where I've been comfortable enough to sit at my desk and type. My left knee is still recovering from surgery two months ago, and favoring it so much during recovery is likely what finally did in my right knee. It'd gotten to the point where I could barely walk, excruciatingly painful at times, so I couldn't put off surgery any longer. I'm mostly off crutches now, and the hardest part of recovery is kicking back and relaxing for the next couple of months; I don't do "don't do anything!" very well.

Our contractors continue to work on the old garage-to-D's new office conversion. A new exterior window opening has been framed in, as well as a new exterior door opening (which will lead out to the new garage), and they started building the subfloor foundation today, which rests on a concrete slab that is very uneven and out of level, so there's a lot of custom cutting necessary on the joists to bring the finished floor up to grade. The old, hideous roll-up garage door will likely come out next week, and that wall will get framed in with a pair of window openings to match the living room window set next to it.

All in all, when done Denise will have a grand new office space, fully finished and carpeted, well lit and with it's own stand-alone air conditioning and heating via a new mini-split that's going in. Down the road this space will become a master bedroom, with its own bathroom, but for the time being D gets a quiet, peaceful, beautiful, comfortable place to do her thing. :)

The mini-split AC/heat system was installed in the new garage on the day of my surgery. The system is powered up and functional, although I've yet to fire up heat out there because the space is not yet insulated. For now, the new garage is a great place to stage construction materials out of the weather.

Hope y'all had a great Christmas, and here's to a healthy, prosperous New Year to everyone...except the traitorous do-nothing democrats in the House of Representatives...
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yep, hot water to wash your vehicles with is the shiznit, and is especially nice to do the final rinse with, as your rig dries so much more easily, quickly and thoroughly compared to rinsing with cold water.

I used to detail cars for a living, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that I run an occasional car or motorcycle through my new shop for mad money. My lead contractor has two Harleys, and has already agreed to let me do a full detail on his Big Twin once my garage (and my knees) are ready - he was pretty much blown away when he saw my fifteen-year-old Heritage for the first time and realized that the paint is factory original:

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, Sonny S. and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  8. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Yes sir, I also used to do wet sand and buff and detail jobs after work, ........note the word ( use ) to.

I done some cool show cars back in the day that were heading to Scottsdale AZ, no more though, to hard on my elbows.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  9. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you are recovering!

Do you detail BMWs? :)
    Bartimus and Fast Ferris like this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Scottsdale, meaning you did cars headed for the Barrett-Jackson auction? Very cool!

I've buffed out hundreds of cars over the years, but have never done any wet-sanding. One of these days, when I've got nothing to do (ha!), I'm going to wet sand our GMC Sierra; it's got some minor orange peel in the factory clearcoat. Pretty much only visible when you get up close, but it's there nonetheless.

[​IMG]

Any tips you can share? :)
    1stgenfarmboy and MYUMPH like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This is probably the best time of year to be laid up. I'm hoping by spring to be fully functional again; if not 100%, it'd be nice to at least be able to walk without pain.

Of course! And Kawasaki's, too. :D

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH and Bartimus like this.
  12. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    Have you tried clay?
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I clayed our Jimmy not long after we bought it, but the claying process is meant for removing embedded contaminants in the surface of the paint and has no polishing or smoothing effect. I've got a million hours on the truck with an orbital buffer, which brought back the factory luster that was hiding under years of cosmetic carelessness, but to fully get rid of the orange peel in the clearcoat will require wet-sanding, I believe.

This was my Christmas present to myself:

[​IMG]

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/g9+random+orbital+polisher.do

PS: Your location says Kitsap. As in Kitsap County, Washington?
  14. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    Get you a wet sanding pad ( it's about 4x6 inch and rubber) made by 3M then 1,500 paper, do a small spot and test it out.

White is the hardest color as it's hard to see how your doing, so something dark first.

Wrap the paper around the pad and hold it tight and sand for 10 or so stroke, pull the paper off the pad and use it as a squeegee, and inspect in good light, should probably leave some very slight dimples ( because if you sand until perfectly smooth your not sure if you have any clear left) and if you leave some very small texture then you will take the rest out when buffing with compound, ( the purple jug again 3M ) then give her the shine.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    The wife's 2014 Ram before and after a sand and buff, I use the number 1 first, then pick the finish polish you like best.

IMG_20191224_161337263.jpg

IMG_20191224_161325927.jpg
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Many gracias, amigo! Do you use a simple spray bottle to apply the water while you're sanding?

Yeah, white can be tough, but it's also a blessing because it hides so many things. I'm going massive overkill regarding lighting in the new garage: 39 5" 5000k LED disk-style flush-mount ceiling lights, the same ones we used in our home remodel, only more of them. I'll have the lights on two circuits, with 15 controlled via one switch, and another 24 I can torch off via a second switch. Detailing vehicles in the dark is a pain in the ass!

Here's the source for the LED lights...

https://www.parmida.com/

...and here's a link to the lights themselves (this link is to Parmida's store on eBay):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-24-x-PA...hin-Dimmable-Flush-Mount-Ceiling/323072947730

These things rock, and the price is right.
    1stgenfarmboy likes this.
  17. 1stgenfarmboy

Oddometer:
    I usually just use a small bucket like a 1 gal, and dip my hand and the pad and paper in it, if I'm doing a big job I mite hold a sponge in the opposite hand as the paper just above where I am sanding and give it a gentle squeeze when needed.

It's key to keep the water flushing over where you are sanding, not like gushing but good and wet, if the paper starts to grab squeeze a bit of water on or dip the paper again.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  18. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:

Port Orchard to be exact. Griot's is just down the road. Be careful with that thing.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    That makes perfect sense: Lots of water means lots of lubricity as you finesse the clearcoat, and the bucket allows you to rinse the paper thoroughly and often, reducing the chance of junk-induced scratching of the finish. Thank you, sir!
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I spent much of my life in Kitsap County, and still have kin in the area.

Have you ever visited? It's a beautiful facility, very upscale, and the staff is excellent. My brother and I paid them a visit several years ago with his car club. Their car-care products are excellent, and they give regular how-to seminars to car clubs and the like.

Thanks. Being an orbital, it's virtually impossible to hurt your paint with it. I had one of their gen-3 orbitals, which worked like a champ, but just traded it in on their new G9 pictured above.