1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Andredl, here's a pic taken several years ago out at Bremerton Airport during the annual Blackberry Festival fly-in/car show, of Denise admiring my brother's '32 Ford, with our Heritage standing guard in the background:

[​IMG]

I asked Denise to choose her favorite among the many gorgeous hot rods on display that day, and she chose this GT-350 Mustang:

[​IMG]

She has exceedingly good taste. :)
    RedUly and MYUMPH like this.
  2. andredl

andredl Back to the Desert...

Oddometer:
    We've never visited Griot's. My wife would love to do it, but time is something we don't have enough of. Our back deck has an incredible view, part of which is Beach Ave and an all summer parade of old cars. For those not in the know, Seattle is a nest of motorcycle and old car hoarders.

We are short, time to sell and move along to the next step towards retirement.

[​IMG]
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    That's a beautiful home, sir; thanks for posting up the pic. Awesome view, looking across Sinclair Inlet towards East Bremerton and the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, with the majestic Olympic Mountains in the background and a steady stream of stately Washington State Ferries running laps between Bremerton and Seattle by your house every day. Well done.

I went to junior high school in Port Orchard, then our family moved out to the south shore of the Hood Canal, near Twanoh State Park, and I graduated from North Mason HS in Belfair. Later in life, I owned 14 acres in Port Orchard on Belmeier Road (now known as Phillips Rd.) near Long Lake, and then a 5.5-acre parcel with a view of the Olympics off Lake Helena Rd, way out toward Wye Lake.

Do your retirement plans include staying in the area? My formative years were spent in Kitsap and Mason Counties, and your photograph brings back a lot of happy memories.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Here's a better look at the condition of the paint on my Heritage:

[​IMG]

I bought this bike in late '15 with only 9500 miles on the clock, but it had been cosmetically neglected/abused, and I've got many, many hours into bringing her back to better-than-new glory. There were a million scratches, and an ocean of haze, in the factory clearcoat, but kudos to Harley they put this stuff on thick, and if you're lucky, and know what you're doing, you can dive deep enough into the clearcoat to reveal the inner beauty hiding under the fog on top.

These pix were taken during my initial test ride:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the windshield off for the test ride, but had to mount it up when I rode the bike home after the purchase. Ugh! Thank goodness for eBay...

I was never a fan of the Heritage Softail "studded nostalgia" vibe (and still don't care for it to this day), but I knew there was an honest, handsome Harley-Davidson hiding under all the factory bloat-wear. It's been a satisfying journey finding it.

I haven't ridden in six months; I'm so overdue.......
    72 Yamaha RD350 and RedUly like this.
  5. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear about the thick top coat. The previous owner of my Heritage was a bit short legged. It seemed that he had some difficulty getting his foot over the tank. It has a handful of moderate scratches near the seat on one side. I have considered checking with an auto body guy and see what they say about buffing them out. The wet-sanding and thick clear coats sounds very promising.

Its one of those things that I see when boarding and deboarding but my eyes never drop that low while under way. My last ride was Christmas eve and even that was too long ago. Ya gotta love southen winters...
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    When my knees heal up and our weather comes back around in the spring, let's get together and I'll take a look at your paint and give you an assessment of what I think it needs to bring it back to life. :)
  7. andredl

Oddometer:
    Your bike is beautiful! If I were to own a Harley I'd take lessons from you. We are leaving Washington for warmer weather. :) . Maintaining this property takes most our summer. It seems we don't have time for motorcycles until September. Port Orchard is being overwhelmed by people moving here from Seattle, yet there is no land fit to build new roads on. These days it's dangerous to ride a bicycle on Beach Blvd. Phillips Rd. is now a busy road.

And, okay, we can turn a tidy profit by selling.

Every summer day for the last three years we'd sit on our deck, looking at this, and ask each other: "Are you ready to leave this?" Last year the answers were always "Yes".

[​IMG]
    SoPaRider and Fast Ferris like this.
  8. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Small world. I spent some time in the late 70s on Hanson Road, just off Anderson Hill Road. Commuted to Seattle via the Bunmmertown Ferry (and sometimes the Port Orchard ferry). Some good memories there.

doc
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's my 7th Harley, and likely my last. (Interestingly, perhaps, is the fact that I bought my very first Harley in 1984 when I lived in..............Port Orchard. :)

Do you have a destination in mind? My wife and I have done quite a bit of research over the past few years, including two cross-country road trips, looking for our dream "retirement" location. Each time we've returned to the Blue Ridge, however, we've each agreed that no place we'd seen in our travels felt as much like home as here in the mountains of southwest Virginia.

I've seen the transformation with my own eyes over the past 50 years, and these days, when I visit my sister (she lives about 15 minutes from you) and my brother (he's out in Allyn), I'm shocked by how crowded the area has become.
    rkover1 likes this.
  10. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    The last time I went through Beautiful Downtown Gorst, I didn't even recognise it anymore.

doc
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Small world, indeed. My brother and his wife used to live in a custom-built log home just a few minutes south of Poulsbo proper, but when she passed away several years ago he sold their Poulsbo home and moved back into their home out in Allyn, which they had been renting for several years.

I don't have much time in the north Kitsap area; usually when I was headed up that way it was on my way to the Hood Canal Bridge and beyond, or out to Bainbridge Island (aka "Poverty Rock") for a look-around.

Thanks for your post. If you've got any pix from Hawaii you'd like to share, I'd love to see them. :)
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ah, good old Gorst! I used to work construction for an outfit based there. We got paid every Friday, Kitsap Bank used to have a satellite branch a couple of doors away, and there was a tavern just across the highway (these days I think it's a topless joint?). There were about 35 of us guys working there at the time, and every Friday night we'd be rich, and every Saturday morning we'd be broke and hungover.

Lather, rinse, repeat. :)
  13. andredl

Oddometer:
    In my case that was known as Active Duty.

We are moving to the St. George, Utah area, mostly for the climate and good riding. It's growing too, but there is lots of protected BLM land to keep things in check. And there are good wide roads already in place in the area with the most construction.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ha, ha! Thank you for your service.

GREAT location, gateway to several states' worth of world-class riding. And..........you get to leave all the cold, dreary, maddening, relentless rain back in the Pacific Northwet. :D
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    The boyz continue to make good progress on Denise's new office:

[​IMG]

^ The door on the right leads into our kitchen. Those are custom-cut treated 2x10 joists, all tied together with blocking, resting on a layer of 4-mil plastic, resting on the existing concrete slab. This space used to be a carport originally, and then somewhere along the line had been enclosed and converted into a single-car garage.

[​IMG]

^ The roughed-in doorway opening on the left will lead out to a breezeway that'll connect our house to our new garage. The sheet of OSB visible on the left wall is temporarily covering where a set of single-pane windows just came out.

[​IMG]

^ Visible in the background on the right-side wall is a new roughed-in window opening - the vinyl double-pane window that we took out of our old office during the remodel will go here - and the garage door will come down next week and a new exterior wall will get framed in with a pair of picture windows looking out to the street.

[​IMG]

^ Behind the wall on the left is our living room. Although it's a pleasant 72 degrees on the other side of that wall, out here it's been down into the 20's at times, hence the space heater. We're going to use blow-in insulation to insulate the floor, and more Rockwool to insulate the exterior walls. We insulated all our interior walls with Rockwool during the remodel, and blew in new insulation in the attic several weeks ago. Comfy, cozy and quiet.

So far our remodel project has been all about modifying existing space to meet our wants and needs, but this phase of the project is actually creating new living space, which is pretty exciting.
    tastroman, RedUly and MYUMPH like this.
  16. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    You asked about Hawaii. I happen to be in Maui:) Indulge me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    OMG, Jim, those photos are FABULOUS, particularly the pic of you and Mitzi with the birds. Outstanding. Well done, my friends!

Have y'all ridden yet to the top of Mount Haleakala? It's just a tick over 10,000 feet at the top, and you'll feel like you're looking down on the world from an airplane up there. It'll be C-C-COLD at the summit, so pack accordingly.

A couple of past-lives ago I rented a Road King and spent several days riding around the island. The Road King had just been introduced and I think I was the first person to rent this particular machine. The owner couldn't wrap his head around the fact that I didn't want the windshield on the bike, and I had to help him figure out how to remove it.

He made me promise on my life that I wouldn't ride down to Hana, because the road was (still is?) so bad, so of COURSE I set out for Hana! I didn't have any real riding gear with me (cargo shorts, tank-top, flip-flops, no helmet), and about halfway to Hana the monsoons let loose. You're there, so you know the rain is plenty warm, but it's still rain and it's still wet, and it was coming down so hard I could barely see, so I finally abandoned ship and headed back to the drier side of the island.

Thanks for the pix! Got more? :)
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-1-10_7-5-42.png

Yummy! :)
    MYUMPH likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  20. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are making that Road King look good. :)

We watched the sunrise at the top of Haleakala on new year's day. Via car not bike. The stars were so amazing.

We road to Hana via the paved way, then drove it another day, continuing around the unpaved side. Totally could have ridden that, but like you was forbidden to by the rental guy.

Mitzi is going diving on Saturday, so I have rented a bike again. I am going up Haleakala, though maybe via the state park rather than the national one.

Let me look for pictures.

BTW, the waterfall/bridge picture is the road to Hana.
    Fast Ferris likes this.