FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few of the good ones
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Great pix, sure takes me back, thanks for posting them up! Hi to Mitzi. :wave
    RedUly likes this.
  3. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :raabia:raabia
    But of course! Did I not say "YES!" :raabia
    bobw and Fast Ferris like this.
  4. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VERY NICE!!! Thank you!
    RedUly likes this.
  5. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    A couple more Hawai'i photos. The first is at Kualoa Park on O'ahu, the second just outside Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.
    Guzzi at Kualoa Park.JPG
    Guzzi at fault zone.JPG

(Enjoying your build photos. We're extending the roof over our lanai here at the moment.)

Aloha.

doc
    bobw, Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Very nice, thank you! I like your Moto Guzzi. :)

Thanks. It's a small project relatively speaking, but it's a big deal for us, and since I'm not presently riding, pix of the progress are about the only thing I have to offer this thread.

The floor was insulated early this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the boyz are now gluing and screwing the 3/4" tongue-and-groove sub-floor. I've got two 2-inch conduit runs running across the floor from my basement, one housing the power line feeding the new garage, and another one which will be used to bring in a new water line into the basement when we abandon the old one from the street (it's kinked where it comes through the outside foundation wall, restricting water flow a bit, and can't be easily fixed).

I also routed various wiring through one of the joist voids in advance (visible in the first pic above). D's desk will be near the roughed in window opening visible on the left of the second photo above, so I've got phone and internet lines running across from the basement, plus a dedicated 10-gauge power line for the mini-split heat/AC, which will be installed this week or next. I also ran several lines for cameras for our new outdoor security system. I needed to get all this in before they seal the floor up.

Got pix? :)
    bobw and RedUly like this.
  7. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Security system. How crappy is it that we need such things.
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    TMan: Yeah, I hate that it's so. 99% of the population are stand-up folks, but the other 1%...wayle, they're not taking advantage of us without a fight.

The folks across the street from us used to rent out their cabin, and over the years they had some real losers in there - as long as you had a pulse, they'd rent the place to you. One guy got so bad I called an LEO that I know and had him run the guy's record. He had a rap sheet two and a half pages long, of minor and not-so-minor crimes that he had committed literally from coast to coast, including drugs, burglary and assault on a police officer. One night it got so bad here that I sat guard in our living room all night, window blinds open and all the lights out, phone at my side and rifle across my lap. Good times.

Another night another set of renters got into their bi-weekly drunken scream-at-each-other-at-the-top-of-their-lungs night fight. She ended up dragging him around the yard in their car, she at the wheel and he trying to climb in the driver's side window to take the keys from her. Great neighbors.......not.......

Our former next-door neighbors to the north had a delinquent son who they'd let hide out at their place periodically when things got too hot for him down on the Piedmont. Several years ago a half-dozen sheriffs swooped in unannounced and cuffed-and-stuffed him. I asked one of the cops on-scene what the kid had done to warrant basically being SWAT'd. He said, "Can't go into specifics for obvious reasons, but it involves firearms and drugs." This was after our neighborhood had been subject to several months of home burglaries; many of the homes in our 'hood are owned by part-timers, and it's pretty easy to tell if a place isn't regularly occupied. People were losing computers, TV's, guns and the like, stuff that could be easily carried through the woods on foot. I have a hunch where all this stuff was going...

Did we ever tell you the story of Denise's near-kidnapping on the Parkway several years ago? She was hiking up after our mail one afternoon when a couple of tweakers in a van tried to abduct her. Thank the good Lord for her quick-thinking, the .38 on her hip (the mere sight of which caused them to change their minds in a hurry -- "an armed society is a polite society," as the saying goes) and hours and hours of self-defense training.

Like I said, most folks you don't have to worry about, but that 1% or so out there, looking to prey on the weak and oblivious, is not welcome at our place, hence the security system (and several other layers of defense). Nothing's fool proof, of course, but we try to stack the odds in our favor every chance we can. Having walls stripped down to the studs is a great time to add new infrastructure.

-----------------------------------------

Back to motorcycling: It was nearly 70 degrees up here in the mountains this past Sunday, sunny, calm and absolutely picture-postcard. Heard lots of Harleys out plying the Parkway, and sure wished that me 'n D were out there with them. Soon enough, I reckon.

How's things? :)
    bobw likes this.
  9. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aside from commuting I've really not been riding. My Piaggio since delegated to commuting duties has been a real gem. It's without a doubt the nicest scooter from a functional standpoint I've owned to date. Good headlight, faster than my previous 250's and surprisingly good weather protection. I took it to work this morning in the rain and after peeling off my rain suit I was bone dry.
    We've had Heather home for the holidays and it's been nice having her around. She heads back Friday for her final semester. Time flies. She's been a little bummed because the electric motorcycle she's been working on ate the motor when the team took it to the dyno. It's the second straight year the team has fallen short of a functioning bike. Seems the motor wasn't designed to handle a radial load. Regardless, it's been a valuable experience both socially and from a technical standpoint.
    I have one of those do it yourself wireless alarms installed in my home. No camera, just an annoyingly loud alarm once triggered. I don't own much of monetary value but I'd hate to lose items of sentimental value to support someone's drug habit. Our town since losing most of the industry has really tanked over the last 20 years and burglary is definitely a concern.
    I'm no expert but it looks like your renovation is top notch!
    RedUly and Fast Ferris like this.
  10. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a "before", but this is from last weekend. Roofing and shingles are on now. Roughly 13' x 30' under cover.

doc
    Lanai framing pre roof.JPG
    RedUly and Fast Ferris like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it's treating you well! Is the Himalayan feeling a little neglected these days? :)

Mad props to Heather and her classmates; she's learning things, both technically and socially, that will pay dividends for the rest of her life. Hi to Heather and Nancy from me 'n D. :):)

I don't lose sleep over the thought of being robbed - it's pretty quiet up here in the mountains as a rule - but like I said earlier, I try to stack the odds in our favor whenever possible. Many, many years ago, when I still lived in Washington, my house was burgled one day while I was at w*rk. I came home to find my front door hanging from one hinge, everything of value gone, and before they left the bastards vandalized the place. The kicked-in-the-nuts feeling took a long time to go away.

Yeah, the boyz are doing well. It's tough to find good contractors, and now that our President has our economy firing on all cylinders, home reno-type folks are in high demand - I've never seen so much construction going on at the same time in our little community. Our guys have been here since July, and probably have another month or so to go before we cut them loose...for now.......

Here are several more progress pix:

[​IMG]

^ The 3/4 T&G flooring is installed, and they've framed in the back wall. The roughed-in doorway opening on the right will lead into a large walk-in closet, and the doorway opening on the left is for the future master bathroom addition. For now, the entire area behind the wall will be used for storage. The white door barely visible on the right leads into our kitchen, and the roughed-in doorway opening on the left-side wall leads out to our new garage.

[​IMG]

^ Among other things, they got the new exterior door and the new side window hung today (the window came out of our old office/#3 bedroom). Our new garage is visible through the window. The wall unit for the mini-split will mount on the wall above the coiled-up orange wire. This section of wall will get sheetrocked tomorrow, and then the wall unit will be installed over the sheetrock and Rockwool. One of the tracks for the garage door is visible in this pic; I'm hoping the garage door gets demo'd tomorrow and they begin framing in the new wall.

[​IMG]

^ Looking out to the new garage.
    bobw, tastroman, Sonny S. and 3 others like this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Looks like a great place to kick back and relax. :)
    Bartimus and RedUly like this.
  13. BigOleSingle

BigOleSingle 2 > 4, your math teacher didn't ride!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan. There is no doubt that I will be back up your way by mid-spring.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  14. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ferris, congrats on the new addition, very nice. And I've said this before but it bears repeating, that is the nicest Heritage I have ever seen!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We're pretty amped by it all, as you can imagine.

Gracias, amigo! She's been a good motor. I'm looking forward to healing up some more and getting back in the wind.

Here's a look at a nearly-stock '04 Heritage in the same color (Lava Red Sunglo):

[​IMG]

^ The handlebars on this bike aren't stock, nor is the leather bag residing behind the windshield, and the oil filler cap appears non-stock, but this is pretty much how my bike looked when I rode it home from the dealership in late 2015 (saggy bags and all):

[​IMG]

I like the current version better. :)
    Mudclod, bobw, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    The old roll-up garage door is gone and the new front wall is framed-in and insulated, the exterior siding is on, and the new front windows have been set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sheetrock will start going up tomorrow. I've got the new heat pump running out here and it's holding a pleasant 70 degrees, even though it's presently freezing outside and the attic space above the ceiling is not yet insulated (which should happen this week).

Denise is not particularly fond of her new view (the bright blue johnnie house sitting just outside the front window; I can't say as I blame her :), but that'll disappear soon enough. It won't be long before this space - formerly a cold, dark garage - will be a fully functional office and command center.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    We powered up the office today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dnutz is Dlighted. :)
  18. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks great!
    Fast Ferris likes this.