FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been away from this always fun thread for a while. Just dropped in and found HGTV and the Travel Channel, did not expect that!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Wayle, I wouldn't go that far.......

:)
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, between ongoing construction, winter weather and healing up from surgeries, this thread is temporarily devoid of much ADV, unfortunately. :(

Monday it was sunny and low 70's up here on the mountain (very unusual for February), and I heard many Harleys rumbling by on the Parkway throughout the day. One of these days I'll drag mine out of hibernation and get back in the wind (I hope I remember how to operate the darn thing) -- I'm looking forward to steering this thread away from HGTV and the Travel Channel, and back to ADV where it belongs. :)
    bobw and Sonny S. like this.
  4. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, actually I do like the company I'm working for - never hear from them! That said, won't be long till semi-retirement. Ferris has been semi-retired for a few years but has this full-time job running our mini-estate. Soon though, we will get past the construction chaos and get back to living. See you around the bend! :nod
    1stgenfarmboy, Fast Ferris and bobw like this.
  5. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too! :nomystery
    1stgenfarmboy and Fast Ferris like this.
  7. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

I plan on following you all into the land of part time in 6 years and 10 months (if I live that long) but who's counting. Healthcare has changed drastically since I have been working in the field. The hospital where I work is the equivalent of a Wal-Mart with 2 lines open. In a nutshell, quality is overshadowed by productivity and striking a balance between those 2 is left to the front lines. We are demonized by our community as the negative experiences pile up and for someone like myself who's 27 years in and essentially powerless to effect anything outside of my immediate area I'm looking forward to disassociating myself from what healthcare has become.
    Here's an example of something I experienced just this week. I was walking around a corner and came upon 2 people laying in the hall, a man on top of a women. It was an obvious fall. What happened was the 80 year old couple had come in for an outpatient procedure and had exhausted themselves on the way in from the long walk from the parking lot. The women started to give out and her husband of 60 years tried to hold her but in the end ended up getting pulled down on top of her. That's around the time I walked up. Both were embarrassed, neither could get up, and both had to be lifted into wheelchairs and taken to the ER to be evaluated.
    Now here's the part that pisses me off. Our parking lot is around 200 yards long so if you are parked in the back like this couple it's a long haul. Of course we could offer a shuttle service but we opt instead to operate a doctor's lounge where administration and physicians get company provided meals and snacks 24/7, 365 days a year. It's nice in that lounge, plush couches, hard wood floors, a 65 inch flat screen and a 40 foot long outdoor deck, composite of course. This couple fell about 10 feet from the opening of that locked lounge door.
    Another example from last week actually happened to a man I kind of knew. He was a cashier at the grocery store I've shopped at for a number of years. Our familiarity with one another is the product of multiple 3 minute segments spread out over a number of years. From what I can gather he had lived a tough life in his younger days, the tattoos and scars on his arms pretty much told his story. At some point he quit drinking and took this job at our local Save a Lot. He's in his late 50's. About 6 months ago he had a stroke which left him paralyzed on his left side. It wasn't until I saw him in the hospital this week that I noticed his absence. Funny how that works.
    I had to bring him for a CT scan as he had fallen in his hospital room and hit his head. He actually cracked the shower stall when he fell so he took a pretty good hit. What happened was he was in bed and had to have an urgent bowel movement so he hit his call bell. After about 20 minutes of waiting he was left with the option of messing himself or trying to get to the bathroom alone. He almost made it. He ended up with a pretty good contusion to his head, he still messed himself (just on the floor and not in his bed) and now gets to pay for a $4000 head CT on top of the $700 a day bed we were ignoring. And his reaction? He was apologetic and embarrassed for making such mess. Yeah, I'm ready to disassociate.
  8. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I understand. I just retired from 40 years in healthcare. One thing I noticed was that the Physician parking was right next to the entrance, and the handicapped spaces were on the far side. Handicapped patients had to make their way past the Physicians; who more often than not could have used the extra exercise.

doc
    tastroman likes this.
  9. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your retirement!
    rkover1 likes this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    A few pix from the archives:

[​IMG]

Foggy sunrise - Orchard Gap, Virginia.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Salisbury, North Carolina.
  12. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still makes me want a Road King. I’ve noticed you remove the windscreen on your bikes. I’ve ridden a few of my friends Harley’s, including a Street Glide, love having the music, but, hate the turbulent air and feeling disconnected from the road ahead of me.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    They're great bikes, timeless styling, comfortable, reliable and powerful. With the release of the new Milwaukee Eight engine, gently-used Twin Cams are plentiful and cheap these days.

I wouldn't mind having the tunes for blasting in my shop, but I can't imagine actually riding down the road with music going. Different strokes, I guess.

Re: windshields, I dislike the turbulent air, the reflected mechanical sound, the annoying steering inputs from dirty air in freeway traffic, the lack of a nice cooling breeze in the summertime, and the potential for degradation of visual acuity, especially in wet and/or dark riding conditions.

And, I just like the bike's aesthetics better sans shield:

[​IMG]
    bobw, 1stgenfarmboy and MYUMPH like this.
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Here's but one of a million gently-loved Road Kings for sale on eBay right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the listing:

"This 2013 Road King Classic is in phenomenal condition, and except for the white walls, looks showroom condition. Only 3200 miles and runs as great as it looks. New battery and less than 100 miles since the last oil change and maintenance. Cruise control, ABS, and factory security equipped. Includes rear seat back rest (H-D) , chrome luggage rack (H-D), upgraded Vance and Hines exhaust. Last year the FLHRC was made in the USA. Twin Cam 103 CI with 6 speed transmission. This motorcycle has been garage kept and never seen a drop of rain. $12,500.00/obo."

^ This bike has the new-and-greatly-improved-as-of-2009 H-D touring chassis, fuel-injected 103-inch (1690-cc) engine (in V8-speak, piston size equivalent to a 412-inch big block - torque, torque, torque!), 6-speed trans, 6-gallon fuel tank (easy 250-mile-plus range), world-class cruise control, triple-disc Brembo anti-lock brakes, upgraded Vance & Hines exhaust (gentle rumble, just enough to know you're on a big-inch Harley, without pissing off your neighbors, and probably a modest performance gain, especially with a K&N air filter under the football), etc.

The windshield, luggage rack and back rest are all quick on/quick off - you could install or detach all three in about 45 seconds total.

The factory saddlebags are leather-wrapped hard bags (no frikkin' sag!), but they don't lock. Tons of storage capacity, though (and no frikkin' sag!).

The whitewalls would clean up in just a few minutes with a stiff nylon brush and some Bleche-Wite (bring it by my shop and I'll sanitize the whitewalls and buff on a nice coat of wax for you. :)

3200 miles? As-new, barely broken in. This motor retailed for well over twenty grand in 2013. This is a lot of Road King for the money.

Tempting..........................
    bobw likes this.
  15. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a young whipper snapper (42). This is what tickles my fancy. I like the all black.
    IMG_9750.JPG
    OldCoot, krautman, Buildzall and 3 others like this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    President Trump was the Grand Marshal for today's Deplorable 500 in Daytona Beach, Florida:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bravo, Mr. President. [​IMG]
    xrttman, MYUMPH, tastroman and 6 others like this.
  17. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup!!!!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  18. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extremely proud moment right there!!!
    Fast Ferris, mf13368 and OldCoot like this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Prayers tonight for NASCAR driver Ryan Newman and his family. :(
    MYUMPH, Sonny S. and OldCoot like this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The date shown on this statement is wrong, but the news is good considering the brutality of the crash.

Thank you, Lord.
    MYUMPH, bobw and OldCoot like this.