1. eNewsletter Sign Up

FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the safety devices came into use, thank God!
    MYUMPH and Fast Ferris like this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Dangeross and MYUMPH like this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Ryan Newman was released from the hospital today (!) and walked out under his own power (!!). Thank you, Lord!!!

Here's a pic of Newman and his two daughters, tweeted out this morning by Roush Fenway Racing:

[​IMG]

THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap
    Sonny S. and MYUMPH like this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I saw the crash real-time, and then watched the slow-motion replays. I had little confidence that he was even alive, based on the dynamics of the crash.

And yet, two days later he walks out of the hospital. Wow.

Yes, all the safety devices. And more than a little divine intervention, in my opinion. :)
    bobw, MYUMPH and tastroman like this.
  5. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem possible. That crash was horrific.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Agree on both counts.

To be honest, I'm a little perplexed how one's injuries can be so bad that you're listed in "serious" condition on Monday night, and yet you walk out of the hospital on Wednesday afternoon looking all the world like you're taking your daughters shopping at the mall:

[​IMG]

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :)
    Redoubt and MYUMPH like this.
  7. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Intestinal fortitude, some people are just tough!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  8. T-34

T-34 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you safety engineers.

That gear oil gushing near the flames had me freaking out. Thought it was fuel.
  9. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the fact that there are people who love to take great care of motorcycles, then sell them to me in practically new condition.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I think you're the only person I've ever met who actually gives their motorcycles away when they're finished with them. :D
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    On D's birthday, back in December, I presented her with a new upstairs bathroom as a birthday gift:

[​IMG]

You wouldn't believe how much w*rk went into such a small space. The commode, for example, used to sit about 18" to the left of its present location, and the door into the bathroom was actually located where the new commode is now sitting (which should paint a pretty grim picture as to how frikkin' tiny this space used to be). We brought the Pergo flooring that we used in the rest of the remodel into here, installed a new (much wider) vanity with a marble top, and installed all-LED lighting, three separate light sources each controlled by its own switch, so we can go mild to wild with the lumens.

The flooring and walls in here used to be puke-green, homeowner-installed tile, very poorly done, and the old cast-iron bathtub probably already looked like crap the day they installed it, some 50 years ago. (Speaking of the tub, it was too heavy to budge, so we had to bust it up into a million pieces with a sledgehammer and pitch it in pieces out the old window onto the front deck; eye and ear protection - and a lot of blood, sweat and tears - was the order of the day).

I don't have any before pix (neither of us could stand the sight of this room, to be honest), but here's a during pic:

[​IMG]

As with the rest of our remodel, we insulated the walls in here with Rockwool while we had them opened up, for the sound-deadening effect. The seam in the plywood subfloor seen in the foreground of this pic is where the old doorway was located. The subfloor got a million more screws driven in by yours truly before the Pergo went down, to help tie the two plywood layers together and better anchor it all as a unit to the floor joists, to prevent future creaks and squeaks. We chose to nuke the old window, which was always a water leak waiting to happen considering its location.
    Bartimus, bobw, MYUMPH and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    On Valentine's Day, which is also our wedding anniversary, I presented Denise with her brand-new office:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've got window treatments ordered, and all-new office furniture for Denise, the first piece of which arrived on Thursday. Along with her command center, she'll also have her exercise bike and electronic piano in here. It's a great space, warm, well-lit (multiple LED light sources plus great natural light) and quiet, and I'm very happy for her. We brought the Pergo hardwood flooring from the rest of the house into here; we were originally going to wall-to-wall carpet this space, but we strugged finding just the right carpeting, and then when we did, we decided to have a 6' x 9' throw-rug made from it. It's already here (not pictured), and looks fabulous sitting in the middle of the floor.

This space has come a long ways:

[​IMG]

Happy Anniversary, Babe - thanks for saying "Yes!" :)
    Bartimus, bobw, MYUMPH and 1 other person like this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    And with that, our contractors are finally done inside our home. This is cause for great celebration - they've been here since July, generally five days a week, and it's nice to finally have our interior peace and privacy back.

We've now rotated outside. On Wednesday and Thursday we used a jackhammer to demo our sidewalk, which was broken and frost-heaved in several places, and used a walk-behind concrete saw to disconnect the driveway from the old garage slab, to better tend to an ongoing drainage issue:

[​IMG]

Generating that pile of rubble was an epic job, and pissy knees and all I was in the thick of it with the boyz. I felt so bad for them - mucho cold up here on the mountain this time of year, compounded by some nagging rain - that I cut 'em loose at lunchtime on Thursday, but paid them for a full day.

Denise and I went rock shopping today, and found some natural stone that we'll use to create a new sidewalk. I've got some w*rk to do regarding the drainage situation at the bottom of the driveway, easy stuff actually, and then next week we'll start on designing and building the deck that'll connect our home to the new garage. If there's any $$ left over after that (doubtful), I'll have the boyz sheetrock the garage, as well, but I suspect I'll end up doing that job by myself. Ugh.

All of that said............................spring is just around the corner, and my Heritage is calling. I am SO ready to get back in the wind:

[​IMG]
    Dnutz, bobw, tastroman and 5 others like this.
  14. RedUly

Oddometer:
    It's beautiful.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Our new sidewalk will be delivered on Monday:

[​IMG]

Some assembly required...
  16. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Is this karma Jerry?

[​IMG]

It's actually not as bad as it looks, I had no trouble with tire slippage. But it makes me look like a badass, so I stopped to take the picture. My inability to stand on the ice when I tried that was when I realized how good the traction of the TKC-70 is.

A bike question for Bart if you're reading this. I somehow put the bike in "rain mode." How the hell do I get it back to normal?
    Dnutz, tastroman and Fast Ferris like this.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like you're stuck in "stud" mode. Great pic. :)
    RedUly likes this.
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Our new sidewalk showed up yesterday afternoon...

[​IMG]

...along with another 3 tons of crushed rock (1.5 tons each in the two metal hoppers) for our new driveway (to augment the 20 tons we've already put down)...

[​IMG]

...and several BFR's we fell in love with when we were shopping for the sidewalk rocks:

[​IMG]
    ejm4, MYUMPH and RedUly like this.
  19. Dnutz

Dnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soon, Babe! Just around the bend!
    Fast Ferris and RedUly like this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Our new deck package arrived from Home Depot last week...

[​IMG]

...which will allow us to bridge the not-so-fancy gap between our house...

[​IMG]

...and new garage:

[​IMG]

This job is complicated by the fact the house and garage don't sit square relative to each other, the foundation heights are different, and the compound grade we're building on. When the connector deck is complete, we'll formally cut our contractors loose and take a breather from all the noise, chaos and erosion of privacy that comes with an extensive eight-month remodel project. Our w*rk won't be done, but we'll at least be able to turn down the thermostat a bit as Denise and I nibble away on loose ends.

The next biggies will be finishing the inside of the garage and re-siding and re-decking the backside of the house.

Our weather forecast calls for daytime highs in the upper 50's and lower 60's for the next five days (a welcome relief from the blizzard conditions we experienced several times this past Friday). This means, among other things, that my Heritage will soon see the light of day. My left knee is generally pretty contented these days, but my right knee still gives me occasional fits; there's no question I've w*rked the snot out of both of them after the recent surgeries, but I'm really not wired to sit back and relax, especially with all the construction going on of late.

All that said, I'm reasonably confident that my knees (and back, and shoulders, and right hip...) are up for getting back in the wind. I hope I still remember the shift pattern...
    tastroman, MYUMPH, Stobie and 2 others like this.