FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my pals is letting me take his 2015 Street Glide Special for a weekend test ride.

IMG_9858.JPG
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Nice! Impressions?
  3. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love almost everything about it, BUT........

The big fairing, music is cool, turbulent air is not......

Suspension felt way too stiff.......

I found myself slouching which caused my lower back to ache after a while.

Rode a 2002 Road King as well, and believe it or not, I liked it better. I know I sound like a broken record, but the 2017+ Road King Special is the one if I’m gonna go Harley. That’s the one that stirs something in me. I could tweak the ergos for my comfort for sure. My wife loved them both.
    klaviator and Fast Ferris like this.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9750.JPG

This one.

I did get out and grab a tag today on my Duc.

IMG_9866.JPG
    klaviator, Fast Ferris and MYUMPH like this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I test rode a new Street Glide several years ago, just for grins. I HATED the environment created by the fairing and windshield, especially the buffeting I experienced on a short sprint down the interstate. Love the styling of the Bat Wing fairing, always have, but...no thanks.

Front? Rear? Both?

Trying to design a motorcycle to fit the maximum number of riders ergo-wise must be a constant challenge for m/c manufacturers. My '06 Road King had rather low-rise bars, and I found them - and the subsequent riding posture - perfect. My '14 Road King, on the other hand, had rather high-rise bars, and I found the riding position uncomfortable, so much so that I swapped them out for a lower-rise bend. My present ride (my '04 Heritage), has the exact same bars that my '06 RK came with, and they're perfect...for me.

I loved my '06 RK, but came to very much dislike my '14 RK, so much so that I was ecstatic to trade it in on a ten-year-older bike. It was amazing to me that the same basic motorcycle could be so vastly different in character, personality and, most importantly, functionality.

If I were in the market for a new Harley, it'd likely boil down to either a Heritage Softail or a Road King, with the Heritage probably getting the nod.
    klaviator likes this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Something like this, perhaps:

[​IMG]

The windshield would get wrapped up in flannel and stored away, and there's the tall handlebars I find so uncomfortable - swap them out, peel off several sets of reflectors, install a set of chrome fork legs and a pair of Screamin' Eagle slash-cut slip-ons and I'd be good to go. :)
  7. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good my friend, glad to see it's winding down, and you will get some wind time. (like you could forget how to shift) hahahahahahahahahahaha

And for RedUly: From the 2016 R1200RS operators manual:

Changing setting The riding modes can only be changed while driving under the following condition:
    No drive torque at the rear wheel. No brake pressure in the braking system. This operating mode is active when the motorcycle is stopped with the ignition switched ON.
    As an alternative, the following steps must be carried out:
    Turn back throttle grip. Do not actuate brake lever. First the desired riding mode is preselected. The new selection is not activated until the specified conditions are present in all affected systems.

Glad to hear the weather is finally cooperating, and maybe a little bit of Spring is heading your way. Enjoy Amigo!
    Fast Ferris and Rudy like this.
  8. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the instructions. Somehow I accidentally changed it back into normal mode a week ago. I can't really tell a difference to be honest. But still it's nice to know how to do it.
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    road glide
  10. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Ya'll holding up okay?
  11. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

This is my favorite time of year to ride. Golden leaves, spring flowers, green lawns and I haven't even thought about taking a ride aside from commuting. My sense of time almost seems distorted. Ultimately thankful for each day.
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    We're okay. Health is good so far, financially we've taken a significant hit.

You guys ok?
    1stgenfarmboy and RedUly like this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Amen, brother.
  14. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear y'all are doing ok health wise.
    tastroman, Fast Ferris and klaviator like this.
  15. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I am hanging in there.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Are y'all riding any? I think a helmet and riding gear would double nicely as PPE...

Last weekend I uncovered the Heritage, drug her outside and fired up the reactor. It's the first time I've seen the bike (much less heard it run) since last July. Although I keep our fleet on tenders, I knew the battery was tired - it was the battery that was in it when I bought the bike in 2015, an off-brand of some flavor with no date code; last year, several times when starting the bike I could tell the battery was weary. Because of this, I'd recently purchased a new Yuasa but held off actually installing it, curious what the old battery would do when I hit the start button for the first time this season. Resting voltage was well over 12.8v, but all I got was a puny, pathetic click when I tried to kick over the electric leg.

In went the new Yuasa. The engine spun for four or five seconds before it lit off; not bad considering the bike had been sitting dormant for nine months (Sta-Bil works). She quickly settled into a contented idle, and after generating some heat in the furnace I humped her upstairs into our new garage.

In total, I rode for about 200 feet last weekend. Hardly warrants a mention, to be honest, but it's YUGE news for your humble scribe, all things considered.

One step at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bartimus and MYUMPH like this.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  18. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as riding goes there seems to be some debate over whether it's ignoring the stay at home order and ultimately being selfish. I have no dog in the fight and I have been trying to understand opposing views. There's a whole thread dedicated to the subject in the basement. But to answer your question, no I have not ridden since I was fuloughed. I don't feel any moral obligation not to but I'll admit the thought of being shamed for taking a ride probably factors in somewhere.
    Fast Ferris and MYUMPH like this.
  19. Hair

Hair On time and on budget.

Oddometer:

I stopped by the H-D shop a couple of months ago. If I remember correctly the new glides have a vent system to that you can fill the area behind the faring with air. That and taller windshield would help. I also like both bikes (RK and SG) when you compare the two the RK has a huge gap between the sheld and the gas tank. Plenty room for air flow. The SG is trying to do the same.
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  20. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Shaming? For being an American citizen and exercising your God-given rights? Heavy sigh.

I have to give [them] credit - it's a brilliant (albeit diabolical) and intentional byproduct of the Fake News' weaponization of the China Virus threat, the virtually-overnight elimination of our Constitutional rights.

Remember what I said to you (via text) on March 18th? "This crisis is being weaponized, IMO." Man, they couldn't have executed a more-perfect takedown of our country (and President Trump). Sure helps when you own most of the mainstream media...

Although Virginia's current government sucks hard, it could be worse I suppose. This is what New York City's Supreme Leader had to say to his comrades yesterday:

[​IMG]

His actions are not unique across the nation, unfortunately. Brown Shirts, anyone?

How about the Raleigh, North Carolina police department several days ago?

[​IMG]

Protesting is a non-essential activity? Sorry, RPD, our nation's Bill of Rights clearly states otherwise.

Come November, I hope Americans remember shit like this when they cast their votes.

Virginia's interstates, highways and byways are open and free to traverse, says Supreme Leader Blackface-Coonman, and one doesn't need any documentation ("Achtung! Papers, please!") to be out and about (see links below).

Furthermore, with some exceptions (most notably in North Carolina), the Blue Ridge Parkway is also open to vehicular travel (see links below).

Shame on any Brian Stelter-wannabe's who dare try to shame me for exercising my God-given rights as an American citizen...

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/m...Order-Due-to-Novel-Coronavirus-(COVID-19).pdf

https://www.virginia.gov/coronavirus/faq/

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm#CP_JUMP_1086561