1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    The little woman and I were at Mt. Mitchell for 6 very rainy days this week, got 2 dry ones and then moved on up the Parkway, 1st one is on top one the dry day, 2nd one Mr Ferris will surely know where it's from.

IMG_20200916_123551506_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200918_163947142_HDR.jpg
    BrockEvan, tastroman, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  2. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Great pix, thanks for posting! Yeah, we had what meteorologists would call a "shit ton" of rain there for a bit! Temps have dropped dramatically in the past several days, and the frikkin' humidity is gone, perhaps until next summer. September in the Blue Ridge is typically a glorious time to ride. I hope to get in the wind this weekend...
    RedUly and MYUMPH like this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    On Saturdays me 'n D are still w*rking our landscaping gig at Red Hill Farms' new wedding venue, which has been under construction for several years now (which should give an idea of the overall scope of the place), and by the time we get home and cleaned up, I'm typically too whupped to drag out the Heritage and ply the Parkway. Shame, but that's the way it is these days.

Yesterday (Sunday) dawned crisp and clear; our weather has taken a dramatic turn for the better (IMO) of late - the sauna-like heat and humidity that have been a constant since about Memorial Day weekend have suddenly disappeared, to be replaced by overnight temps down into the low 40's, and daytime highs barely breaking into the mid-60's. AND ALL THE FRIKKIN' HUMIDITY IS GONE! :clap

We're getting mid-October's weather a month early, it would appear. I, for one, am digging it.

Between a late-ish get-up yesterday morning, a few light chores, and early supper with Denise (she w*rks graveyard hours, basically, so turns in early), by the time I geared up and put some heat in the Harley it was already late afternoon, but that still gave me a couple of crisp, glorious hours of precious wind time in the Blue Ridge.

Cold up here on top, and even a mite chilly down on the Piedmont, but severe clear, as a pilot might say, and I savored every moment.

These pix were taken at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Willis Gap Road:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seven Springs is a pretty little world, quiet and secluded, with the Parkway literally right outside your front door.
    klaviator, Samspade, Sonny S. and 3 others like this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

^ Odd place to stop and grab a pic, eh? No, not if you take advantage of the beautiful backdrop and luminescent late-afternoon lighting:

[​IMG]

Ride to lean,
    Fast Ferris
    klaviator, Samspade, Sonny S. and 5 others like this.
  5. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Dang, the ol' girl still cleans up pretty nice:

[​IMG]

:)
    klaviator, Sonny S., MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Too nice to be real. It must be a painting, right? :0-0

[​IMG]
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  7. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently learned that blue flower in the background is Chickory. Apparently that's common knowledge if you don't live in Raleigh, but it doesn't grow here for some reason. It sure does make western Virginia pretty though.
  8. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    @Fast Ferris
    250 Dragon Slayer. Both lovely ladies did great (the ninja and my wife) B67548F4-0570-4644-891F-86B2447F3193.jpeg
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Great pic!
    twowheeledgator likes this.
  10. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I had a good weekend myself. I had Friday off, which screamed motorcycle trip, but the weather was not promising. It looked like Saturday might be okay, and I was thinking about a ride up the eastern shore of Virginia. Mitzi got here on Friday in time for lunch, and the sky started clearing as we ate. Our plans began to morph, and we decided hey, we could go to Charleston, SC and eat at that place we saw on Chief's Table, BBQ. And we could leave this afternoon.

We set off around 2:00 on a route that took us through rural SC rather than the interstate highways. Both sides of my family are from SC, with my paternal grandmother having been the closest in Gallivants Ferry, SC, which is about an hour from Myrtle Beach. They call that part of the state the "Low Country." What that really means is that it's a swamp. My grandmother lived on a farm, half a mile down a dirt road in the middle of that swamp. It was complete with blood sucking insects, snakes, and a house that had had plumbing and electricity tacked on in the 50s. There was a window unit air conditioner in one room, which was not the room I got to sleep in. I had some good times there, but it wasn't one of my favorite places in the world.

Imagine my surprise, as I rode down Friday night, to realize that I missed it. It felt like home.

We had dinner in Mt Pleasant, right outside Charleston, as the sun was setting. It was a little hotdog joint Mitzi had seen before. We got up on Saturday and walked around a bit. They have carriage tours, and the idea of someone carting me around and telling me stuff, while I didn't have to work, was appealing. So we did. That was delightful. And at the end of of it, we rolled by a crab house, which also looked appealing. And it was lunch time.

[​IMG]

Then I slept the rest of the afternoon, which was also delightful. Dinner was the BBQ place from Chief's Table. We realized that since they had just shown up on TV, they would probably be overrun. But they do delivery, so we ate it in the courtyard of the hotel. It was worthy of being featured on TV.

Mitzi lives in Wilmington, while her bike lives in my garage in Raleigh. At some point she decided that she wanted to leave her car at my house and ride her bike back home. Thus we set out of Charleston on Sunday morning, heading up highway 17 toward Wilmington. She knew yet another bbq joint on the way back, so we completed our food tour with lunch.

[​IMG]

A little ways up the road, I pealed away at Murrells Innlet, and started making my way back across SC. This route took my even closer to my grandmother's farm than the one on the way down, and again, it felt like home. At some point I passed through Cerro Gordo, NC, and recalled that my father had lived there as a child, and one of my great aunts had also lived there. I thought that I should call someone in my family and remissness about this, but they are all gone. My father passed away 25 years ago, my great aunt before that. My daughter has never heard of the place, and my mom is in Hospice, and I presume has other things on her mind besides her late husband's family town. I'm getting older, I'm the last one to remember.

Despite that sobering realization, my ride across SC was wonderful. Eventually it ended and I ended up on I-95 in Lumberton. I generally don't mind interstates, but I dislike I-95, and I dislike the section of I-40 that taking I-95 to Raleigh dumps you on. I rode about 10 miles, and I saw an exit that indicated it was a route to Pinehurst, NC. Pinehurst I like, it's down US-1 from my house, and I often ride there after work, so I took the exit and started heading that way, which a sign indicated was 37 miles. It was nice countryside, similar to what I had ridden in coming down. It gave me the opportunity to resolve something we had speculated about on the way down. There was a plant in the fields, it had blossoms that looked like okra, but it wasn't stalky like an okra.

[​IMG]

That my friends is what a cotton blossom looks like. I'm used to identifying cotton by the white cotton balls hanging on the plant, I'm not sure I've ever noticed it blooming before.

I got home an hour or so after I got into the sand hills of NC. There was a nap. It was a good weekend.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear Denise's former steed is treating y'all well. What a perfect bike for the Dragon, eh? :)
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Dang Jim, best ride report I've read on ADV in quite some time, well done! Congrats to you and Mitzi for your mutual passion for two-wheeled adventure. Thanks for posting up your words and pix; I felt like I was riding along. You have a gift, amigo.

^ Awesome, evocative wordsmithery.

So sorry to hear about your Mom. :(

:clap
  13. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reduly One of the benefits of riding is the time it alots to process thoughts. My brain works best in the middle of the night and when I'm lost in thought riding. Just nothing in the way, no where to be, and no one to answer to. If things get dark the never before seen landscape around the next bend is often the best medicine. Browsing this thread is acknowledgement that Ferris discovered this long ago.
    Thanks for sharing
    RedUly and Fast Ferris like this.
  14. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Thank you. She turned 79 yesterday. She has had cancer since the mid 1980s, she wasn't supposed to live nearly this long. She lives with the perspective that she has had a great life, and an extra 30 years that she wasn't supposed to have. Her thinking that way makes it a lot easier to let her go.
    klaviator and Fast Ferris like this.
  15. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is one of the few threads on ADV that I relate to on a more personal level if that makes any sense. I've followed it for years.
    RedUly, bykemike and Fast Ferris like this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I got out this afternoon and evening to the tune of about 120 miles. Perfect conditions: cool, crisp and pretty.

[​IMG]
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thank you, Lord, for another day.
    Sonny S., Samspade, klaviator and 8 others like this.
  20. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Location?