1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    It's the Hiwassee Bridge, which is part of the New River Trail, in Hiwassee, Virginia, sorta/kinda near Draper/Pulaski/Radford:

The New River Trail is a 57-mile linear park in southwest Virginia that follows an abandoned railroad right-of-way. The park parallels the scenic and historic New River for 39 miles and passes through four counties and the city of Galax. The trail's gentle slope makes it great for visitors of all ages to hike, bike and ride horseback. The park's Foster Falls area offers guided horseback trips; canoe and bike rentals; boat launches; gift shops; and a horse arena. Fishing is popular, and primitive campsites trail are available in designated areas. The park's Hoover Mountain Biking Area is also popular with those seeking extra adventure. There are access points to the trail at Allisonia, Chestnut Yard, Cliffview, Dannelly Park (near Galax), Draper, Dora Junction (near Pulaski), Foster Falls, Fries, Galax, Gambetta, Hiwassee and Ivanhoe. Horse trailer parking is available at Allisonia, Austinville, Cliffview, Dora Junction, Draper, Fries, Ivanhoe and the Mark E. Hufeisen Horse Complex.
    • Two tunnels: 135 feet and 193 feet long
    • Three major bridges: Hiwassee - 951 feet; Ivanhoe - 670 feet; Fries Junction - 1,089 feet
    • Nearly 30 smaller bridges and trestles
    • A historic shot tower used more than 200 years ago to make ammunition
    upload_2020-10-2_7-30-27.png

^ My pic was taken at about the 1:25 mark in this video, looking back the direction the videographer had just come.

Links:

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/new-river-trail

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-...-bridges-worth-seeing-in-virginia-state-parks

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/document/data/trail-guide-newrivertrail.pdf
    JB2 likes this.
  2. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’m a sucker for old infrastructure
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Yeah? Wayle, you'd dig the heck outta me, then! :)
    RedUly likes this.
  4. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    One more from last night:

[​IMG]
  5. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful set of pictures!
    RedUly and Fast Ferris like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Gracias, amigo! :)

Here are several from this evening's ride:

[​IMG]

Amen!
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  8. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  9. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday Ferris!
    1stgenfarmboy and Fast Ferris like this.
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Gracias, amigo! :beer

Had a great visit and pizza with me, Denise and my son Wade, excellent to see him again. He brought a couple of customized birthday cakes:

[​IMG]

The one on the left is called "Better Than Sex" (it was close!). I forget the name of the one on the right; it's a carrot cake, and quite delish, but they spelled 39 wrong! :D
    1stgenfarmboy, RedUly, Drew and 4 others like this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I don't often get out on the bike during the week, but yesterday evening I made an exception onnaconna my birthday (and the stunning fall weather we're having). These were taken at Fox Hunters Paradise (hi JB2 :wave):

[​IMG]
    tastroman, Samspade, JB2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday! Glad things are going well ! Love the pics as always. That Heritage is looking great !
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I almost didn't stop for pix at Fox Hunters Paradise. I always wave at the wind through here, in memory of JB2's dad, but yesterday evening the air was a little warm and hazy, and although we've had some fairly cold nights of late, the fall colors really haven't popped yet. I rode past, then turned around and doubled back because there was a photo op calling me.

I idled slowly through the parking area, and out to the trailhead that leads to the observation area, and then pulled back onto the Parkway because I still didn't see the photo.

And again I turned around and rode back; I couldn't shake the feeling that I was missing a photograph.

This time I saw it:

[​IMG]
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There were several dozen of these small metal crosses laid out on three or four of the wooden posts that comprise the guardrail. I assume a caring Christian placed them here for folks traveling the Parkway to take one if they felt so inclined.

I carry a similar metal cross in my pocket already, one I found years ago in my travels, so I left these for others and simply took several photos to document the moment.

Hi JB1. Thinking of you.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This sign, located near Cumberland Knob and the VA/NC border, has been missing for several years, so I was surprised to see it again last night. I couldn't tell if this is the original, or perhaps a new one to replace the earlier one. Either way, it's cool to see it back.
    Samspade, Stobie, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    One more:

[​IMG]

Ride to lean,
    Fast Ferris
    Bartimus, tastroman, Samspade and 5 others like this.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Gracias, amigo! :)
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday! And just remembered we're both Libras. We were both in our early/mid-forties when we met. Where the hell did the time go? :fpalm

Can't tell you how many photos I have accumulated over the years at Fox Hunters Paradise and Iron Mine Hollow. Sadly all of those photos were in Kodak Instamatic and 35mm. Dad left us about the time I had switched to digital. We had 10-12 trips down the Blue Ridge Parkway before the Linn Cove Viaduct was built. You brought back some good memories there. Thanks.

Great photos too. :thumb Sad to see the graffiti. Kind of reminds me of our surprise at Newspaper Rock in Utah. Vandals. Arrrgh! Good on the crosses though. Nice to see someone cares enough to share their love of God and Christianity. If you happen that way again I know of a tankbag that has room to carry one. :augie

EDIT: Love me some Carrot Cake done right. Hey to Wade!
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    '98? '99?

You're welcome. :)

Yeah, hate to see it, always have.

Consider it done. :)

I'll pass it on. :)
    JB2 likes this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    " '98?, '99? "

Bought the S3 new in August of '97. They gave me the most famous copy of Battle2Win ever published with contact info on PACBOG. You and I ended up in a bullshit-headlock that evening when I called to join. We met in person in 1999 at BRATPAC but had already cultivated a cyber-friendship. Yeah, over 20 years ago.

"Consider it done. :)"

Many thanks. I'll trade ya for a couple of new Macaw feathers. Noticed yours were getting pretty tattered last I seen them. Mack gives us several every year.
    tastroman and Fast Ferris like this.