1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FBAD: Life on the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fast Ferris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Seems like a couple of lifetimes ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:ricky
    Prior and JB2 like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that. I like how you cropped out the hap-hazard fence they had up to prevent vandals from spraying artwork. If I remember correctly there was some graffiti that had not been removed? It's also the place we paid twice the going rate for gas but were happy to get it. You never did answer where time got to? :D
    Fast Ferris likes this.
  3. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I think the thing that jacked me up the most was the pock marks in the rock face from assholes shooting at it from across the parking lot.

The Needles Outpost! Remember how the owners kept apologizing for the price of their gas? I think at that point - out in the frikkin' middle of Mad Max Land - we would've gladly paid just about any amount for fuel! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We logged just shy of 500 miles that day, and got back to our motel room in Fruita, CO well after dark. Not to worry, Jackalope Liquors to the rescue!

[​IMG]

Time's fun when you're having flies, or something like that...
    JB2 likes this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Except for Dad that was the longest trip I had been on one-on-one. So many stories that each one could have been a trip unto itself. A top-ten list of the tales I've told of that adventure would leave 20-30 on the table. San Hon, NM to Franklin, NC in two days? Bats and Bugs Highway? Two days in Gunnison and connecting the dots with the waitress and the young mechanic at Sun Powersports? :D Closing down The Outlaw in Ouray CO? :1drink Cadillac Ranch? Groom Cross? Our solo adventures to meet in Fruita? Grand Mesa and The Future Steaks Of America? The hurricane? The truck driver in the storm who threatened us? The Oklahoma City Memorial at sunset on 9/11? That call to our wives that night then riding until after midnight putting thoughts to rest? Flooded at Hillbilly Ed's? Stuck in Colorado? New bike in Montrose? The Blue Ridge Parkway? The dickhead cop and the dragon in Crested Butte? Mikey Breedlove meets Ferris? Dewey Bridge? Zig-Zag & Burr-Head? Federal speeding tickets? The howl of 2 VFR's bouncing off the canyon walls? Highway 141 and the boys from Naturita? Retracing the steps of our fathers?

There's more. :*sip* As a rhetorical question do you find yourself going back there and remembering it like was yesterday? Hillbilly Ed pissing over the guard rail with traffic whizzing by? :photog

Good times. Thanks.
    :thumb
    Prior and Fast Ferris like this.
  5. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got in on these shenanigans late but early in my life and glad I was a part of some of them!
    Bartimus, JB2 and Fast Ferris like this.
  6. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    All the time. Glory days. :)
    RedUly and JB2 like this.
  7. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Me, too. :)
    JB2 likes this.
  8. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how old were you guys when you made that trip?
  9. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    I was 50 at the time. 9700 miles beginning to end. An epic ADVenture, to help a brother heal.

Here's a link; grab a beverage, this will take a bit:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/out-of-words.209478/
  10. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    JB2:

Some things are just meant to be.

Between chores, and several days of steady rain as TS Delta blew through, this afternoon was the first time I've had a chance to roll the bike out of the garage.

I ran into town to grab some non-ethanol high-test, then ambled through Galax and out 89, and climbed onto the Parkway just north of the VA/NC line. A couple minutes later I idled into the pullout at Fox Hunters Paradise.

Remember this pic of the crosses I posted up last week?

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH likes this.
  11. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Today there was exactly one cross remaining:

[​IMG]

There were perhaps four dozen or so crosses here the other day, neatly arrayed on four of the guardrail posts; today, just this lone cross remained. (It's interesting to me that it was sitting on the same post I chose to feature in my pic from last week.)

I tucked it carefully in my pocket for safekeeping, and thanked the good Lord for my many blessings and...for saving this last cross for you. :)
  12. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  13. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    The air was alive with rustling winds today, the trees boisterous as a result and golden-green and russet in their early fall splendor, and after three days of solid rain the Blue Ridge smelled fresh and brisk and earthy.

It was a good day to be one with the wind.

[​IMG]
  14. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    MYUMPH, JB2 and klaviator like this.
  15. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    Fox Hunters Paradise is only about 20 minutes from the house, but somehow I managed to make a 110-mile ride out of it. :)

[​IMG]
  16. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

So many roads, so little time.
  17. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
  18. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. Fast Ferris

Fast Ferris Shift Shaper

Oddometer:
    One more:

[​IMG]

Ride to lean,
    Fast Ferris
    MYUMPH, Sonny S., JB2 and 3 others like this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Nice. From the pics the other day the crosses looked like they were possibly made of wood and painted white. It could have been the angle the they were lying in the image. However, the one left that you picked up looks like it is possibly aluminum?. I also noticed that "AD" is barely marked on the top of that post. Interesting. Much appreciated. A special token from a special place.

The images of the Soft-Tail look inviting. Inviting as in, "Hop on and go down the road ahead that is calling."

110 miles in your backyard would equate to many more in other areas of the country. Great to live vicariously through your images when I'm burning late hours in the shop. :thumb The trees are in full color here. Hope to get in a few miles this weekend if tomorrow's rain doesn't take all the leaves. Our Maker certainly paints some beautiful pictures that change everyday. Winter is coming.
    Fast Ferris likes this.