Fe Man goes down on the Tiger (not like that)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Fe Man, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    I was riding with a group of about 8 yesterday, mostly Forest Service roads around Amicalola Falls and Suches with a bit on Hwy 60 around TWO.

I got separated from the group during a fuel stop at Coopers Creek Store. I was last to gas up and the premium pump ran dry so I had to move the bike to the regular pump, blah, blah, blah. I told the rider waiting on me that I would catch up. So I was hauling ass on 60 north headed but I didn't realize that everyone had turned at Dial Rd. After 10 or 12 miles I realized that I was headed the wrong way so I whipped it around and headed back.

So now I am hauling ass back toward Dial Rd. I entered a tight,decreasing radius blind right-hander, fully committed to my line (hauling ass) and encountered a small vehicle (all I remember is the Alabama plate), either re-entering the roadway or slowly accelerating from being stopped. My choices were, hit them, lay the bike down and hit them or try and get around them on the left. Continuing straight would have put me 30 feet down and embankment and into a huge tree with a "memorial" already in place with flowers and a motorcycle tire. I nailed the brakes and swerved to their left only to meet a green Jeep Cherokee. Time for another choice; center-punch the Cherokee or ride the shoulder. I chose the second and had it not been muddier than hell probably would have made it back onto the road, while upright.

I'm not really sure what happened next but I wound up half in the road, half in the mud, front wheel crossed up. I bounced off the bars with my right side landing on my right shoulder and helmet, sliding in the road. I had my bell rung and the wind knocked out of me! I know the guy in the Jeep was paying attention and not speeding because he got stopped and didn't run over me. The fine folks from Alabama were nowhere to be seen. I told the guy in the Jeep I was fine; I wasn't. He asked if I needed help getting the bike up; I said I didn't (I did). He asked if I needed him to call someone; I said I didn't (not realizing that there was no cell service for quite a walk in either direction). I got the bike up, straightened the left grip/clutch lever and rolled it down the next curve where there was a pull out. Gas was dripping heavily from the right corner of the tank and it appeared to be cracked. After walking way back up the road to try and get cell service to no avail, I went back to the bike, checked it over, started it up and rode back to Cooper Creek Store with gas pouring out of the bike.

I gotta say that the owner of Coopers Creek Store, Calvin, was incredibly courteous and went out his way to help me. He went up to his house and brought me his cell phone to use and the woman working in the store (I assume his wife) came outside and asked if I needed anything else before she closed.

Long story short, my wife showed up about 5:15 or so with my truck and trailer
    and we towed the wreck home.

The results:

The Tiger
    Badly scratched gas tank, also cracked and leaking
    Bent bar end
    Broken turn signal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Gear
    Tears in the right knee and lower leg of my Triumph pants
    Olympia Jacket doesn't have a scratch but the threads on the right shoulder Cordura patch was ground away
    Scratched helmet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me
    Probably cracked rib/ribs but nary a mark on my body

I probably could have ridden the Tiger home but with gas streaming from the tank I decided to wait for extraction.
  2. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by "probably", you didn't check with a doctor yet?
  3. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    Just one of those things that happens to experienced bikers.

you can't haul ass into a corner you can't see through

glad youre not hurt too bad.
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I think you did a great job minimizing the damage to yourself and your bike by AVOIDING both cages. Sorry you still went down.

Glad you are relatively OK. Take it easy for a few days. See your doc when you have some time just to get checked out. Some bad injuries can really sneak up on you.
  5. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    No health insurance = no treatment.

I'll live and so will the Tiger.
  6. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    I was gingerly stretching this morning and heard/felt something "click" in my side. Could have just been a body pop from laying in a ball all night; who knows. There is no bruising on my side, unlike the minor bruise on my hip.
    I'm at work and don't feel to bad, as long as I don't do anything strenuous.
  7. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you still upright there Fe!

Nothing you can do for broken ribs anyways....
  8. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    Ok then, Fe Man. Best of luck on your recovery! :thumb
  9. longwayaround

longwayaround Female Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear about your fall, glad you and the bike will live to ride another day. question for you though, I am canadian, and also an EMT, and i am just wondering about your country's obama-care or something like that? isn't EVERYONE supposed to have coverage in some form? that is what is portrayed in the media anyways...and we all know how "true" that is. as someone else mentioned if you are still hurtin pretty bad in your chest/abdo area in a few days you prob should go get er checked. there are many an internal (important) organs that can get messed up.
    take er easy,:freaky

cheers,
  10. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    If I had to have treatment, I would just make payment arrangements. That being said, I'm thinking I'll live and would like to keep what little money we have for other things.
  11. daveoneshot

daveoneshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .....Sounds like you were skilled and tough enough to survive......throw in a bit of Luck and you'll be doing 25
    pushups every morning before coffee.
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Well, lets hope there is not something bad going on inside you that kills you in a few days.
    Some people crash and tear a spleen and bleed out later, etc.
    Its happened to guys here...

I have insurance (for now) and I did tear my spleen, as well as bust a bunch of ribs, spine, shoulder bones.
    2nd time for the spine, when you break that, you often feel like the wind was knocked out of you.
    I don't like going to the hospital even with insurance, bad things happen there, but it might be a good idea to get checked out.

Your accident is sort of related to group rides and riding your own ride I guess, trying to keep up with a group of better riders (they were better at getting gas).

Imagine if you DID hit one of the vehicles.

Got to use your head!
    Could be ANYTHING in the road around a blind turn....
  13. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Hate that it happened!
    Glad to hear you were able to miss the cages. Coulda been a LOT worse :(

If it hurts when you laugh or inhale deeply, your ribs are cracked or broken. Even if you go to a doctor, he'll tell you to "take it easy, take your tylenol and it'll heal up in a few weeks."
  14. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    Glad it wasn't worse.
    I was doing some off road right out of TWO when I first got my GS and went down. Didn't think I was hurt, just sore.
    Finally went to the doc about a month later and they figured it was separated ribs. Like others have said they just told me to take it easy and they'll heal on their own.
    Just don't try to be an "iron" man. If it persists you probably ought to get it checked out.

Heal well
  15. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do do anything checking up, don't do it through the ER, and you avoid those $$.

If it is ribs, mostly what you can expect is to be handed a little breathing trainer. Breath deep more often than you want to. It helps to avoid broken ribs turning into pneumonia.
  16. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping Fe Woman with help me with some heavy breathing exercises tonight:evil
  17. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Can't do nothing for ribs anyhow.

Glad this didn't turn out worse.
  18. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Like that you can recount this story with a little humor. I chuckled at the thought of you noticing that other riders memorial as you fought to minimize your damages. Clearly you used up one of your lives. Make sure you tell the wife that twice daily massages help heel such torso injuries. Happy endings are nice.
  19. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:
    I'm glad that you and the bike made it out banged up but able to ride another day. I'm familiar with Hwy. 60. There are some sneaky curves to watch out for.
  20. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does this mean you won't be heading North this year? :cry

So glad you are doing OK.... going down sucks !

errr... wait... that doesn't sound right :wink: