February 21st: Lytle Creek To Randsburg To Mojave Brewery Loop

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by notmybikemodelname, Dec 27, 2008.

1. CCer

CCer missing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ben! fellow fckup! it's good to hear from you. we should ride together more often since our karma seems aligned. you go first next time, ok? hope your doc settles on the no surgery route but good luck either way.

Dale
  2. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I see a ortho tommaro. He will tell me how time ill need to recover. Ben
  3. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dale. I seen your x ray and they look alot worse than mine. I just have a hair line crack on the ball that goes into the socket. I was told if the ligaments are ok. Ill just need to wear a body sling until I heal. Keep your fingers crossed. Lets get together when we heal up. Will call it the shoulder ride. Ben
  4. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I would like to plan a party and take all your leftover meds. (if there are any)
    It'll be fun!
  5. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    Heal quick Ben, stay hydrated :dutch and good luck on the recovery! :thumb

Remember, a non-ridden XR is a lonely XR :cry
  6. cribaby

cribaby Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer:
    Damn, I wish I would have call first dibs, the first aid kit is getting low. Oh well please invite to the party.

Ben and Dale glad your both is good spirts and looking forward to your next ride. I'd call it The over the boulder, not land on the shoulder ride, so count me in, you guys were charging it.

Charlie
  7. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    if one of the Leatt Braces would help prevent these types of injuries..

I guess mainly the Clavicle. What say the knowledgable masses???

spafxer
  8. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I know of three people w/ broken backs while racing w/ the Leatt. That doesn't prove anything outright, but in my circle a broken back occurred once every four or five years more or less.
    Leatt comes out, and in a year there are three. Not scientific, but apparently Leatt's research wasn't either.
    I wore one for maybe 6 months and put it on the shelf.
    Do they help? Maybe. Do they hurt? Maybe.
    A collarbone is sacrificial. They are broken mostly by the helmet. 6 weeks and your back riding in most cases.
    Broken shoulder is more time off and more money.
    A broken back from a routine accident is a bigger deal.
    I would suggest a lot of reading before just putting on a Leatt.
    It is a very tough choice and being wrong could be permanent.
  9. punkenduro

punkenduro now in a cage...

Oddometer:
    so are we saying that it can prevent clavicle but cause back injures do to the force being transfered. im new to my leatt and im already weary. i wear it with a chest protector if that helps anything.
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Maybe start this up on another thread.
  11. CCer

CCer missing Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey ben, that's not my xray. i think spafxer posted that to freak me out. i saw my break today, looks like someone sliced the bone very precisely and slid the 2 pieces north/south a bit. doc says there is nothing to do but let 'er knit. my big challange is getting my socks on:lol3
  12. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good. Because that xray kinda turned my gut. I have a fealing that I won't need to go under the knife. I dont have any bruising or discloration on the shoulder. I figure if the tendens were bruised I would see some discloration? I will know in a few hours. Ben
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's good news....

as to protection the Acerbis Koerta pressure suit has clavicle protection....keeps the helpmet from wacking the bone...
  14. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if a pressure suit would of save my shoulder? Ben
  15. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    It would be just another piece of gear the paramedic or EMT would have to cut off.
    It's all cheap insurance, but you can't get away from breaking something when it's your time. The perfect crash does not exist.
  16. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry Ben for the post of the clavicle. I thought since it was posted so soon, it would be not be considered one of our riders. I asked a friend about collar bones, she's in the medical field, and this is the picture she sent me,,

Hoping for good news for you!

jim
  17. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing yes. I took the mother of all whoops in DV near the geologist's cabin and landed on my shoulder. I did end up with a separated shoulder but it would have been a lot worse without my Koerta. As it was I was able to ride out that day, get back to camp and ride home the next day. Vicodin was my friend on that ride.:stoned
  18. CCer

CCer missing Supporter

Oddometer:
    charlie, i'll save you some so you can help your next lucky patient. i'm just taking aleve now.
  19. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to ortho yesterday. He said it does not look like I will have to go under the knife. On Saturday I can start doing a little pt on the shoulder. He wants me to let my arm hang on my side and do little circles 10 each way 3x a day. Ill wait two weeks befor I start doing any other excercise. I have a bike trainer that I can spin while I watch TV. This will also give me a few month to shop for a pressure suit, fork spring and other goodies for the bike. Thanks Ben
  20. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    If your insurance covers it, or you got the money, call DannyG about the PT. If the right person instructs you, you'll get better a lot faster. Then we can go out and bust up your other shoulder:lol3