Federweisser, Verdun, Flanders Fields and the Rhineland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMead11, Oct 26, 2011.

1. derrickb

derrickb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, really appreciate all the work and effort you put into the report!!! :D
  2. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:

Well, not much left to go either I am afraid.....need to get off my butt and git'er done.
  3. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    So I spent that night before and this whole day in misery. I had tried some tablets for stomach issues in France but they seemed to not have any effect whatsoever. Thorsten’s mother however had that magical pill that I will no longer ever travel without. Imodium. It did not stop my misery completely, but got it under reasonable control.

The next morning I awoke feeling so much better. I was able to get up early and make it out of the house and back out exploring. I was still not 100%, but I was not going to sit this day out, when I had to leave the next morning to go back home and to work. I had flown into Frankfurt, but I had the nice option of leaving from Luxembourg City on the way out.

So, a blast up the autobahn to the north and I was soon in Koln. Thorsten and I had come to Koln for the Intermot Motorcycle Show last year…..see here if you like pictures of hot models and hot motorcycles…
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630166
    but I did not make it to the cathedral. Today Thorsten and I did make it to the cathedral. Cathedrals are another of the things that I really like to go visit, I think I have been to over 40 of them in Europe alone, and the last time I had been at Koln was 2005. My camera crapped out on me the second I walked in. The camera still functioned, but the pictures were all just black….the captor had given up. So I really was glad to have another chance at it. It was Sunday though, so I knew it was not the best day because of the services that would be going on there would not let me photograph the inside, but maybe I could get it done in between them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    When I got to the cathedral, there were services going on and Cardinal Joachim Meisner himself was conducting mass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Around the cathedral there once existed many Roman homes of quite high quality. Many of them were excavated during the construction that has gone on around the place, and you can see some of the remains today. Even better, but for a future day when I have ALL day, there is a museum of Roman Antiquities in the square. I am going to put that on my list for the future of things to do up here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wealthy people would have underground storage for meats and other perishable food back in the times of the Romans....here you can see a storage basement with niches built into the walls.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    For a couple of Euros each, Thorsten and I bought a couple of tickets to the top of the cathedral.....well, the price paid for me would be measured more in steps than money. Thorsten eventually tired of waiting for me and raced to the top. He is in tip top condition....I am a handicapped old man with a 13 inch rod in my left leg....so I am not as fast.

Hundreds of steps later, we were in the top of the area of one of the towers. But there was further to yet go.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wire mesh prevented me from trying to find a faster way down....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had gone up nearly 100 meters, then worked our way back down again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and when you run out of money...just go to the fountain. Couple of strange charachters were cleaning the fountain a bit....but only of the larger denominations of coins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder if he had his shoes on......????????

7. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    The other thing that some might find interesting was that there was a football team visiting the cathedral also, though not knowing anything about the team, I failed to photograph any of the gentlemen as they went past me. Hannover 96.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/afsg_yzfr7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dPOFlJoEbg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    I did get to see the Cathedral at Cologne (Koln) and my train paused at Remagen, but it was a weekend, and I didn't get to go in the museums and get the tour...thanks for the post-war footage too (amazing the cathedral survived so well!) :D

Great RR! :clap :D
  12. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go ahead and post pics of the Remagen Museum next. I need to get going on this one again and finish it up, not much left to go.
  13. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ludendorff Bridge was built as one of the aids to the Schlieffen Plan, to help move men and material from Germany into France during the Great War. Construction actually started in 1916, building two railway lines to cross the river Rhine at the small town of Remagen. I guess it is more commonly known as the Bridge at Remagen because of the film. You don’t see the actual bridge in the 1969 film though as it was made in Czechoslovakia. They would not let them film it at Remagen, the film makers found a suitable replacement in the little town of Davle, Czechoslovakia, and then the country was invaded by Soviet troops trying to maintain a hardline Communist government, and the film production staff was forced to flee to the West in taxis. The film does not exactly depict the way it all happened in March of 1945, but that is the most ingrained memory from my childhood that I have about the bridge.

The Bridge at Remagen was basically the last heavy bridge over the Rhine that would allow the Alllies to cross with heavy equipment such as tanks and loaded trucks. The Ludendorff Bridge was a railroad bridge, so to capture it intact would give a great advantage to the Allies.
  14. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  15. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  16. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  17. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  18. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

German dog tags and a roll of barbed wire.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  20. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Cheap food can always be found in a Turkish kebob shop, today was a great day to hit one too, as it was my last day travelling, and in need of a quick meal. This one was in Koblenz on the way back down the Rhine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]