Federweisser, Verdun, Flanders Fields and the Rhineland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMead11, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Waterskiing on the Rhine......I never engage in this sport myself, as I usually end up as a deep running torpedo myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Another great ride report, Jeffrey. Thoroughly enjoyed it as I have your others. Looking forward to the next one!
  3. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I'll get this one done pretty quick now....down to the end just about. I need to go to Labrador or something though too. I'll try and get out on another trip soon.
  4. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome picures! Thank you for posting.
  5. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    I need to review your previous reviews,:evil but will certainly look forward to future adventures! :clap:freaky:ricky

Thanks for sharing the History! :dg :D
  6. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Above the Moselle River there are many ruins left by the Romans. Many of them are related to the making of wine, but also the end of life. Here are two buildings overlooking the river that are burial chambers dating back to the 3rd or 4th century.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    The end of my last day in Germany for the trip.

[​IMG]
  8. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  9. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  10. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Crowded skies...and that is where I would be headed in the morning.

[​IMG]
  11. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Last night to see Mr. Nike too, and he waiting to greet me as I went up the stairs.

[​IMG]

Last chance for some Federweisser.....till next year at least....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharing pics with the family....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    The next morning came too quickly, although I stayed up late taking all my electronics off the TransAlp, packing up my stuff, and plenty of time out on the front porch just looking into the village and pondering how lucky I am to see what I am seeing. To have had this experience....and to have seen so much. Not just in this trip but in all the others too....all the things I have done in my life. I could die tomorrow and still done more than most would ever dream of.

I managed to get up be ready to go pretty quick. It was off to Luxembourg after a quick breakfast. We loaded up into Thorsten's car and headed first for Wittlich (Spangdahlem is there if you know where that is) and then through Trier and eventually the border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was just like one of my cars at home.....but a louder color....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    And there it was, Luxembourg Airport and my first time flying out of Europe from the country of Luxembourg. I had used Heathrow, Gatwick, Brussels, Orly, Charles de Gaulle, Frankfurt, Schiphol in Amsterdam.....but never here. This was something new, and I really enjoyed it. Seems about the same size as our little airport in Tucson.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was to be my ride to Heathrow.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we were off.....and then I realized I was seated on the wrong side of the aircraft to see General Patton one last time....the cemetery was on the left side, and I was on the right. Crap....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We followed what seemed like a strange path over to Reims, past Amiens....

[​IMG]

Over the Channel and the White Cliffs of Dover....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then we circled for 45 minutes over London....images of the scenes of the Battle of Britain roamed in my mind the whole time. I was trying to image what it must have been like with Heinkel He-111's and Me-109's being sought out by Hurricanes and Spritfires. We were circling, but my imagination kept me occupied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Then I got inside and realized I was screwed. My flight to Dallas was cancelled. There was no way to get me home. I was going to be late to work. I could get to Boston, Chicago, or stay here in London for the night, but no way to get to Tucson....or even Phoenix that night. Terrible thing was, they knew this was coming and did not tell me in Luxembourg. They had tried to do my seats all the way home in Luxembourg and were unable to....now I knew why. "Those rotten bastards," I thought. If they had told me in Luxembourg, I would have gone back to Kinheim and gotten another day of riding in. But no....they flew me to London and then told me. British Airways had pulled the same crap on me in October of 2002. Flew me from Paris to London and then left me in the airport for three days. They could have left me in Paris.....but not then either. It was not weather this time.....their screw up this time, so that meant I had to decide where I was to be stranded and spend the night,....on their dime. I thought Boston might be good, because with a big enough layover I could possibly go home to NJ for a few hours....but I was exhausted and I had been up nearly all night the previous night expecting to sleep on the plane. I thought about it and decided to stay in London. If you have to be stranded somewhere.....may as well at least be in Europe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I ended up at the Renaissance on Bath Road with food vouchers for lunch, dinner and breakfast. and a nice room.

[​IMG]
  16. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I considered taking a train ride into central London, but instead opted to explore the local area on foot having never been outside of Heathrow in this part of town before. Nothing exciting was nearby it turned out, but I got a taste of the local culture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next morning I found myself on a 747 with no window seat, stuck in the middle of the middle, but at least it was bulkhead so I could get in and out easy enough. Before I knew it I was in Dallas, and then I got on a plane to Tucson and immediately fell asleep. I got home a day late, at 11:00 at night, but I was home.....and only 6 hours before I had to get up to go to work.

So that is it. Another one done. Sorry it took so long to finish this time, but I am trying to do better on each ride report as I do them. I'll just be doing day trips for a while now, I likely will not have another report in till summer. Thanks to everyone that stopped to take a look, and the thanks even more to everyone for their comments and kind remarks.

[​IMG]

17. ozmikl

ozmikl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bravo Maestro, Bravo....
    Michael

Oh and I just noticed YOU GOT STARS and you ain't even a chick!
  18. petermac

petermac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report.

Thanks for sharing with us
  19. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    While waiting for your next report, I'm going to read your previous ones, as you suggested.
    Let us know about your next trip before leaving Arizona, I don't know yet where I will go next summer but it would be kinda funny if our roads where crossing, somewhere in Europe.
  20. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I do not know if Europe is in the future for me this summer. I think I may be going up the western coast of the United States at this point. Should be back in October for some more Federweisser though....I hope.