Feedback on Garmin Streetpilot III?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hotshot, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Hotshot

Hotshot Def

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for a cross country trip and want to buy a GPS pretty quick. I've heard the 176 and 176c are good, but is the SP III worth the extra $? Auto routing would be nice for what I am doing (some hotel finding). Advice Please!!!!
  2. Deacon

Deacon Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on the first two, but the Street Pilot is an awsome piece of equipment. First experienced gps in my 4wheel, thought it was cute and another toy. I use it almost every day. Got the SP and it sure helps in new areas. The hotels, restaurants etc are not all listed, but it helps give a concentration in an area. It shows all secondary roads well, and additional programming gives me backroads/gravel etc. It has held up well to vibration, drops etc. I am somewhat farsighted and the screen is still pretty easy to read. Hope this helps, go to the store and play with it, pretty easy and logical...it is spendy, but in most cases I think you get what you pay for.
  3. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Either will work for you - and it sounds like autorouting is something you'd miss if you got the 176. I'm very happy with my 176 but, given my recent experiences with with Hertz "Ever-Lost" guidance system, want to do my own routing! :mad: Damn thing had me wandering through some pretty shady areas in Atlanta... sure, the freeway entrance is just a few short blocks.

Anyways, either will do the job. The SP III costs more, but has more functions. The 176 (for me) is everything I could ask for. It'll be hard to go wrong.

Marc
  4. Hotshot

Hotshot Def

Oddometer:
    Your are right about the "ever-lost" for sure!!!!!! Does the SPIII have a volt meter like the 176? Also, how is the color on the 176c?
  5. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I'll have to defer to someone who has a SP III for an answer to the volt meter question.

Re: color on the 176c. Awesome! It's the best GPS display I've ever seen. In the sun, it washes out a bit, but still looks pretty good. When it's overcast or dark, it's totally amazing.

Marc
  6. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I allowed "Ever Lost" to guide me through various cities (blindly) - some I was very familiar with.

Atlanta - P.O.S. had me all over the place and into some really "dodgy" areas.

San Jose - what a joke. Direct route through Campbell, etc. was everything but.

San Francisco (Downtown) - pretty good. Even knew where I couldn't make a left turn (have to make three rights).

LA - Good for freeways - couldn't find my customer's building in Culver City to save its' life. Had to fire up laptop and use Streets & Trips 2002.

Overall, I give it a C-

Marc
  7. Hotshot

Hotshot Def

Oddometer:
    You guys are awsome for info! I'm trying to get bang for the buck. The thing I need most is USB download capability, since I'm taking my Vaio with me to store my routes and other info. I've found the SPIII w/USB programmer and 12v adapt. and 32M card for $775(http://mall0.register.com/skydive1/contents.htm):smile6 . The 176c for about $530 plus USB and acc. The 176 might be a better performing machine?
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    It all depends on what you want, but you can get smokin' deals on regular Streetpilots right now. They don't do the autorouting, but they work fine and you can put 128mb cards in it. Definitely get the USB card programmer, and hardwire it onto the bike, otherwise they'll eat your battery supply in no time.
  9. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    SPIII $769.99 at Safe Trac

176c $518.99 here

I've bought three GPS' at Safetrac - their service is fantastic and their prices are the best.

You might check ebay for deals on used units if you're willing to go for a SPII...

Marc
  10. killer

killer killen's brother

Oddometer:
    I am very pleased with my Garmin V with aoutorouting. For $400 (exploregps.com) you get great features and most of what the Hertz Neverlost has to offer. Take a look!

Killer
  11. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    *gulp*

http://www.bmwrt.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001878.html

If I had the cash to buy one I'd get a 176mono. Went to Bass Pro, had the GPSV, GPS176, and SPIII on the counter for about a half hour.

I didn't like the color screen of the SPIII.
    The screen of the GPSV was good but I wanted more memory (not a problem if you're taking the Vaio with you).
    The 176 was fast, had a great screen, was fast, could replace paper maps in my mind. It doesn't autoroute.

I'm with Marc on the autorouting thing. I've had good and bad luck with PC and web based tools. I can only assume the weenie CPU in the GPS isn't going to do much better. I wouldn't pass it up, but it's not a must have for me either.

Hey, where did these come from? :):
    :drums :dj
  12. Asterix

Asterix This user's email bounces

Oddometer:
    Have the GPS V and am pleased with it, but if you are willing to fork over the $350-$400, more the SP3 offers you more memory, and a larger color screen.

Not sure on the voltmeter, but most Garmin's have a "system check" which can accessed by keeping the "enter" button pressed while powering it on. This brings you to a "test" screen which gives you among other data, a voltmeter too. Works on the V.